Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2001 5:46:56 PM EDT
I'm looking to get earthier the STG58A or the SA-58 I'd like to know what is the difference between the two rifles?

Is the SA-58 in it's standard model more accurate then the STG58A? If so how much more and is it worth the money?

Are the barrels better on the SA-58 also?

I don't want a sniper rifle but I do want something that will keep 5 shots in a small grope.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 6:16:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Tayous--

I have 2 SA-58's.  One Carbine and one Standard.  Both are excellent quality FAL's.  I have seen and handled the STG-58A's.

I would have NO hesitation buying the less expensive STG-58's.  The quality is top notch.

The guns are probably going to be equally as accurate.  The SA-58 is made with new parts (some imported and some US produced).  The STG-58A is made with some imported parts (from excellent condition parts kits) and some new US parts.  The fit and finish on both are excellent!!.  

I personally prefer the Carbine version.  If you can, get the Carbine version of the STG-58A.

AFARR

If you are anywhere near the shoot at the Buffalo Pit, you are welcome to try mine out on Sunday before Labor Day.

Link Posted: 8/20/2001 6:55:54 PM EDT
[#2]
tayous1

My STG58 is a really sweet rifle. A buddy has a SA58 carbine and cosmetically the fit and finish are identical. The Sa has all new parts and a new barrel but my STG looks to have an unfired parts kit and mint barrel.

There is like a $400 price difference in the two rifles. If you want a more original, military looking rifle go with the STG58. It is a dead ringer from a distance. If you want a brand-spanking new, best FAL on the market, buy one of the SA58s.

E-mail me if you have more specific questions.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 7:35:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I think if the STG58A are just as accurate as the SA-58 then why should I spend the extra money on it.

I could use the money to buy a new scope more ammo and mags or up grade the rifle to a real tack driver. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 7:43:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought an STG58 with Type 2 receiver and to this date, I could not get myself to shoot the rifle.

It may be $400 cheaper than the SA58 but the fit and finish (not to mention all matching part numbers) is near perfection. Maybe one of this days, I will finally have the nerve to "devirginize" her. [sex]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 7:48:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I bought an STG58 with Type 2 receiver and to this date, I could not get myself to shoot the rifle.

It may be $400 cheaper than the SA58 but the fit and finish (not to mention all matching part numbers) is near perfection. Maybe one of this days, I will finally have the nerve to "devirginize" her. [sex]
View Quote

How much would you be willing to sell it for I'll give her a good work out and home. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 5:12:49 AM EDT
[#6]
btt
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 5:34:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think if the STG58A are just as accurate as the SA-58 then why should I spend the extra money on it.

View Quote

A buddy of mine who owns a SA58 said the same thing after seeing my STG 58

He's changed his buying plans for his next FAL.

Link Posted: 8/21/2001 5:55:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Is F.A.C the only place that has the STG58A for $795. or are there others? This is the only place I have seen that has it this cheap if you know another place please tell me.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 6:04:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is F.A.C the only place that has the STG58A for $795. or are there others? This is the only place I have seen that has it this cheap if you know another place please tell me.
View Quote

$795 is DSA's dealer price.

If you've got an FFL dealer you've bought from frequently (or who wants you to buy from him frequently) he'll sell it to you at dealer cost. He'll just make his $50 FFL transfer fee (or whatever his going rate is)

YET ANOTHER reason to cultivate a good relationship with your FFL dealer.

Link Posted: 8/21/2001 6:13:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a STG58A.  I don't know how you could do any better.  I shot a 3 round 1 3/4" group at 100 yds with it.  That is about as good as I can do with iron sights.  I think this rifle is excellent.

357mag
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 8:02:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I just called F.A.C they told me they send it to your FFL dealer for $795+shipping for everyone that the $795 is for FFL holders and Non-FFL holders.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 8:06:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I just called F.A.C they told me they send it to your FFL dealer for $795+shipping for everyone that the $795 is for FFL holders and Non-FFL holders.
View Quote

But your FFL will still want his transfer fee.

BTW, what is F.A.C.???
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 9:13:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

But your FFL will still want his transfer fee.

BTW, what is F.A.C.???
View Quote

F.A.C= Federal arms company

yep my FFL dealer will want to get his $20 from me nothing less nothing more.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 5:39:10 PM EDT
[#14]
tayous1

Call DSA directly. They have an ad and ph# in Shotgun news. They will sell you the rifle for $795 and take care of any extras you may need(mags, scope mount, rings, whatever) all in one phone call. They are good people to deal with.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 6:00:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a an STG58 that I got about 3 weeks ago. Mine is built on a type 2 receiver. Have not taken it to the range yet but it is one beautiful rifle. It really does look new! They are a good deal at $1000.00 retail and a bargain at $795.00 and change. The only thing I'm not thrilled with is the fake flash hider. It looks great but adds a lot of weight out on the end of the barrel. That may improve accuracy for all I know but I like the slimmer looks and lighter weight my Century Frankenfal had.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 6:10:03 PM EDT
[#17]
tayous1, the STG58s have military barrels and parts.  They look great and shoot reasonably well.  Mine doesnt like Hirtenburger ammo.  But will shoot anything else without a hiccup.  The SA series of rifles have much better new barrels and are more accurate.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 6:13:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I own an IAI M444 FAL, but have dealt with DSA for other stuff, and would recommend them!

Shawn
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top