Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2004 9:47:14 AM EDT
NG to Deliver Four B-2s with New Bomb Racks  
By Jefferson Morris  
09/15/2004 11:14:56 AM  

Northrop Grumman is on schedule to deliver by year's end the first four B-2 bombers to be equipped with new bomb racks that will enable the aircraft to drop five times as many precision weapons on a single flight, according to company officials.

"We promised that we'd have four airplanes all equipped, certified and ready by the end of this year, and in fact we'll make that commitment," Harry Heimple, manager of government requirements for Northrop Grumman's Air Combat Systems division, said during a briefing in Washington Sept. 14.

The B-2 currently can deliver up to 16 2,000-pound Joint Direct Attack Munitions (JDAMs). The new rack will enable the bomber to carry up to 80 500-pound JDAMs. The Air Force's operational test and evaluation (OT&E) of the new rack assembly should be completed within the next two months, according to Heimple. The entire fleet of 21 B-2s is scheduled to have the new bomb rack by 2006, he said.

The next weapons upgrade for the B-2 will be the integration of the 5,000-pound Enhanced GBU-28 penetrator, Heimple said, which should begin in March 2005.

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:57:13 AM EDT
[#1]
That's a lot of firepower.  Should definately do some extensive testing in the general middle east area.  Make sure everything's greased up correctly.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:03:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Man, carpet bombing with a stealth. That's pretty impressive. By comparison, the B-52D used in Vietnam carried 108 500 lb MK82 dumb bombs. Getting 80 500 lb precision munitions onboard one aircraft is indeed impressive. Hell, one of those B2's could effectively shut down some nations after a single sortie. LOL.

Maybe they are getting these ready for Iran or North Korea, should it become necessary to deal with them?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:10:18 AM EDT
[#3]
reminds me of the 'good old days'

and something a little more modern:
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:23:30 AM EDT
[#4]
That's alot of bombs!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:30:38 AM EDT
[#5]
That's a lot of whoop-ass!  

Go Air Force!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:40:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Not even carpet bombing..... Picture carpet bombing but every bomb goes into a diffrent window or door.... Only one way to discribe it- WOW

-Roth
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:32:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Red_5 you worked on Buffs too?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:27:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

worked with guys who did, lived next to a SAC base (Caslte) with 'em, been on them, and flown the AF sims.  BUFFs are pretty impressive all round.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:29:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

worked with guys who did, lived next to a SAC base (Caslte) with 'em, been on them, and flown the AF sims.  BUFFs are pretty impressive all round.

I used to live on Castle.  Damn base closings.

eta - B-2 is to slow and expensive.  Speed is life.  B1-B.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:35:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Cool, I was just wondering... ex weapons troop here...  I was at Minot from 95-97.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:54:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I used to screw a girl who's parents lived on Buhach road, on the other side of the railroad tracks.
Good pussy. Air Force (dependent) pussy.

Never thought about the B-52 when I was banging her.

Quoted:

I used to live on Castle.  Damn base closings.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top