Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2001 5:11:59 PM EDT
To clarify what I've read I'd like your opinions.

Two questions:
1)I am interested in replacing the barrel on a preban AR. Assuming the barrel itself is legal, can I do this without it becoming a "NEW" assualt rifle?

2)Exact same deal, but can I just replace the entire upper with a postban manufactured "preban" upper?

If number 2 is NO, then what would one do if their barrel was worn out and their upper receiver tolerances were out of spec? Toss the lower in the garbage along with the rest?

Thanks guys,
C6
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 6:06:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 6:28:45 PM EDT
[#2]
You are not building a new rifle,,the serial # is the rifle.
#1---YES,
Pre-ban can have a pre-ban style upper or post style upper, your choice.

#2---Yes
A Pre style upper is a Pre style, no matter when it was assembled.

If barrel is worn out,, REPLACE it, if receiver is out of spec, yet to see one, must be really abused/loose, REPLACE it, if you toss the lower, toss it to me.

SBR follows the exact same rules, why , I don't know, smack the IDIOT that bucked it into NFA.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 7:02:51 PM EDT
[#3]
It is currently an 11.5 bbl, but it has the perm 5.5 birdcage on it.
I was just curious if I could swap the upper with a "new" manufactured "preban style" upper as a replacement and still be legal. The law just seamed kind of vague.

-So I have a preban rifle. I buy a new bushy preban config 16" shorty. I can slap it on my preban lower and I'm good to go.
Thanks,
C6
P.S. I'll be sure to look you up when I "toss" the lower, SBR7_11.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top