Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2001 2:58:06 PM EDT
I have purchased several firearms over my lifetime but have not purchased any for several years. I recently decided to purchase a Remington 870 and had to go through the Instant Check system. I was put on hold for several days and then denied. I could not believe what my ears heard. I was given papers to fill out and send to State police. They have yet to respond. I am trying to understand something. Where does this leave me. I am not a criminal, but they have made me feel like one. What about the firearms that I own??? Where does this leave me. I have contacted my attorney and we are waiting for the State police response. Has this happened to any one else like this. Are they going to confiscate my existing firearms???
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 5:09:04 PM EDT
[#1]
ebic,

I had this happen to a client of mine.  He was not only denied the purchase, but arrested and charged with a felony (for falsely filling out the form).  The denial was based on innacurate NCIC info and, needlesss to say, the charge was dismissed before the preliminary hearing.

No, you won't have your weapons confiscated unless you are a convicted felon and possessing them illegally.  You stated that you are not a criminal- have you ever been convicted of a crime?  Is anything pending?  Are you separated from a spouse or significant other and have a protective order against you?  If you have a clean record and nothing is pending, then my guess is that you are the victim of a clerical error.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 5:18:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I had this happen to me a few years ago. I think it was right when the NICS check stared. I was denied, then a couple days later, recieved a call from the Va State Police telling me that I was being investigated for possible felony charges. ( I lived in Roanoke Va at the time) Ive never been convicted of a felony. Only minor traffic stuff and a noise ordance violation. I got some paperwork (I cant remember exactly what) filled it out, and the mess was squared away in a few months time. Ever since, each time I get a NICS check, I am delayed, without fail. Approval usually comes within 2 days. I have a common last name, Thompson, however I always have filled out my SSN on the forms. Even the time I got denied. It happens. It happened to me and pissed me off to no end. Get it squared away the best you can, I never hired a lawyer, but at the time I was 22 and couldnt afford one. If youre in the right, it will get cleared up.

19D
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 5:48:45 PM EDT
[#3]
In 1969 I was arrested and charged for taking some blank audio tapes from a book store. That was 32 years ago. I had completely forgotten about it. I did not even think it would have been an issue. It was a juvenile offense.
I have answered all the questions on the form that I fill out correctly and honestly. It was not a felony charge. I am completely blind sided by this. There has not been any other legal problem in my life. I am 52 years old now..I don't know what to think.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 5:56:27 PM EDT
[#4]
every gun dealer tells me you may have problems if you have a common name. my dad once got arrested just because some guy with the same name had a warrant out. apparently they dont bother to check ssn's or dl#'s. wait and see what happens.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 9:26:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Hope it gets worked out.  I used to get approved instantly, now suddenly I am put on delay every time.  First time it spooked me, but my dealer says that once you are delayed, you always will be.  My FFL is a gun range, so I always just take some other guns with me and target shoot for about 20 minutes, and they call with the approval.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 4:59:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hope it gets worked out.  I used to get approved instantly, now suddenly I am put on delay every time.  First time it spooked me, but my dealer says that once you are delayed, you always will be.  My FFL is a gun range, so I always just take some other guns with me and target shoot for about 20 minutes, and they call with the approval.
View Quote

I have been delayed [b]EVERY[/b] single time I have purchased a firearm since Nov. 1998 when the "instant" check took effect. That amounts to 28 times in a row!!!!!

I do not have a common name nor have I been convicted of any crimes other than traffic stuff and I always put my SS number on the yellow form.

Of course, I'm very pissed about this and I can't buy [b]ANYTHING[/b] at a gun show but who exactly can I bitch out for it? Do I go to the FBI and start raising hell? Not hardly. I'm just f*cked!

I have a very, very dim view of my government's care for us citizens.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top