Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2005 7:35:46 AM EDT
I've been planning on going back into the military and going the Special Forces or Sepcial Ops route, and decided I need to start kicking my own ass at PT.

I'm really focusing on push-ups (of course I'm going for overall strength and working on everything, but push-ups are a weak point for me) and have a little work out plan going.

Here's what I do for a chest workout...

Tuesday and Thursday:
Incline benchpress
As heavy as possible (currently at 185 pounds) 10 reps, 3 sets, drop down to 135 for as many reps as possible to burn out.
Incline flies
35 pounds, 10 reps, 3 sets.
Weighted Pushups
I throw on a backpack with about 20-30 pounds in it and do push-ups to failure, currently up to about 45.
6 sets
Regular Pushups
Aim for 50 reps, 3 sets

Saturday:
Weighted Pushups
20-30 pounds
45 reps, 10 sets
Regular Pushups
50-60 reps, 5 or more sets

I started this about 2 weeks ago, although I've been working on my bench-press for a few months now. I vary the pushups too, normal, close, wide...

When I started I was at 40-45'ish on regular pushups without stopping, I hit 60 last night.

My goal is 100 pushups without stopping.

Not bad for 5'9" and 165lbs.

Anyone have any advice on further improvements?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:47:38 AM EDT
[#1]
do you do any cardio? looks like you got the push ups licked (maybe too much!). but all that muscle mass isn't gonna do you much good unless you can move it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:45:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, personally I think you routine stinks, but hey, that's just me.  

One question:  You can do 45 pushups with weights, but you can only do an additional 10 at bodyweight?  Something doesn't seem right here.  

You are doing all this work trying to increase your pushup numbers, bou are only working your pecs and triceps.  What about the muscles in your back?  You see, if you don't work the muscles that do the opposite of what you are trying to do, (these are called the antagonistic muscles) your body will only increase strength in these muscles a little and then shut down.  It won't let you pack on a bunch of strength because the imbalance would probably cause an injury.

So, I would suggest if you want to increase your numbers in pushups, increase the strength in your upper back.  Try adding in something like pullups/chinups, bent over barbell rows, even some shrugs.  You might also work on your core muscles.  Like your abs and lower back.  Try something like situps and dead lifts.

Oh, and this 3 sets of 10 is old school bullshit.  Try 5 sets of 5 or 3 sets of 8 and increase your weights by about 20%.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:59:54 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

One question:  You can do 45 pushups with weights, but you can only do an additional 10 at bodyweight?  Something doesn't seem right here.  

You are doing all this work trying to increase your pushup numbers, bou are only working your pecs and triceps.  What about the muscles in your back?  You see, if you don't work the muscles that do the opposite of what you are trying to do, (these are called the antagonistic muscles) your body will only increase strength in these muscles a little and then shut down.  It won't let you pack on a bunch of strength because the imbalance would probably cause an injury.

So, I would suggest if you want to increase your numbers in pushups, increase the strength in your upper back.  Try adding in something like pullups/chinups, bent over barbell rows, even some shrugs.  You might also work on your core muscles.  Like your abs and lower back.  Try something like situps and dead lifts.

Oh, and this 3 sets of 10 is old school bullshit.  Try 5 sets of 5 or 3 sets of 8 and increase your weights by about 20%.

Like I said, this is ONLY my CHEST workout...I run 3 miles 3 times a week with increasing distance every week, and bike 3 days a week, lift weights for triceps, biceps, legs, shoulders, back, etc., etc, do pull ups, situps, blah blah blah.

For STRICTLY CHEST EXERCISES what do you think?

I'll try the more sets with lower reps and heavier weight thing, thanks.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:34:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like I said, this is ONLY my CHEST workout...I run 3 miles 3 times a week with increasing distance every week, and bike 3 days a week, lift weights for triceps, biceps, legs, shoulders, back, etc., etc, do pull ups, situps, blah blah blah.

I still think you need to work you back.  You want your chest to grow.  Work you back AND your chest
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:50:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I still think you need to work you back.  You want your chest to grow.  Work you back AND your chest

So all those lat-pulls, bent over rows, shrugs and pull-ups I do are working my...legs?

I'm not trying to be an ass here, and if I'm coming across that way I apologize, but I do work every muscle group.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:55:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Nevermind.

` 45
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:29:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Do more pushups.  Do wide angles, diamonds, dive bombers, elevate your feet.  Do slow pushups and fast pushups.  Run 2 miles, dropping for 10 every 1/10 of a mile.  The kind of strength you need is more along the lines of endurance.  See if you can do 100 bench presses.  That will increase your pushups.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:47:53 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Do more pushups.  Do wide angles, diamonds, dive bombers, elevate your feet.  Do slow pushups and fast pushups.  Run 2 miles, dropping for 10 every 1/10 of a mile.  The kind of strength you need is more along the lines of endurance.  See if you can do 100 bench presses.  That will increase your pushups.

Actually I think the 2 mile run with the pushups is a great endurance builder. another idea would be hit the track at your local high school. While you are running get some upper body stuff in. The track by my house has a football feild and a soccer field. The Soccer goals would work good for pull ups. run a Lap, then hit the ground and pound out some push ups, run another lap and hit the soccer goals for some pull ups, repeat until you cant anymore. A great endurance workout.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:45:20 AM EDT
[#9]
kaizoku,
 Why are you doing incline bench press instead of flat bench press. The push up is closer in form to the flat bench press and you should be able to do more in poundage.
 As for high rep push-ups, doing more push-ups will get you to that point. You actually want to do less heavy lifting since increasing your one rep max is not your goal.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:48:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Great advice here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top