Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2001 5:57:10 AM EDT
I see that the 4 us servicemen injured by a US airstrike in Afganistan were awarded the Purple Heart.  Since when has the US awarded the Purple Heart for injuries by friendly fire.  When I was in Vietnam I knew of several people injured and killed by friendly fire and not a single one was awarded a Purple Heart for their injuries.  I was wounded twice and only received one award because the second wound was a firendly fire accident.

I had no problem with the awards to the military personnel injured in the Pentagon attack, but question these awards.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 6:31:15 AM EDT
[#1]
3. Criteria: a. The Purple Heart is awarded in the name of the President of the United States to any member of an Armed Force who, while serving with the U.S. Armed Services after 5 April 1917, has been wounded or killed, or who has died or may hereafter die after being wounded;

(1) In any action against an enemy of the United States;

(2) In any action with an opposing armed force of a foreign country in which the Armed Forces of the United States are or have been engaged;

(3) While serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party;

(4) As a result of an act of any such enemy of opposing armed forces;

(5) As the result of an act of any hostile foreign force;

(6) After 28 March 1973, as a result of an international terrorist attack against the United States or a foreign nation friendly to the United States, recognized as such an attack by the Secretary of the department concerned, or jointly by the Secretaries of the departments concerned if persons from more than one department are wounded in the attack; or,

(7) After 28 March 1973, as a result of military operations, while serving outside the territory of the United States as part of a peacekeeping force.

(8) After 7 December 1941, by weapon fire while directly engaged in armed conflict, regardless of the fire causing the wound.

(9) While held as a prisoner of war or while being taken captive.

b. A wound for which the award is made must have required treatment by a medical officer.

Link Posted: 12/2/2001 7:21:45 AM EDT
[#2]
jvic,

I guess criteria (8) answers my question.  The key in that one seems to be "directly engaged in armed conflict".

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 7:25:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I met a guy who recieved a Silver Star for directing close air support onto NVA that were "danger close" to his pos.  During the battle, He was knocked on his ass, and wounded by these air-strikes, several times.  He deserves a PH.
If you are engaged in a battle against an enemy, and step on a big rusty nail, while fighting, guess what?
You get a PH.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 7:44:57 AM EDT
[#4]
When I was in VietNam it was up to the medical officer or corpsman to fill
out the appropriate wound tag...when this was filled out and sent in..the wounded was awarded a purple heart..Pretty much regardless of circumstances...like all kinds of medals many who deserved them never got them and many who didnt ..did.. War is unfair...
So to any corpsman out there..make sure your guys are taken care of ..make sure they get the best treatment possible if you have cajole..entreat or threaten those in charge..dont ever be afraid to go over officers heads to get the job done...and fill out the paperwork..make sure your guys get their purple hearts...as this has consequences for your guys down through the years..
and yes Murph I was a "major" ...major f#$king pain.....hehehe- wife says nothings changed...
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 7:48:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 12:36:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Didn't Bush Sr. want bronze stars awarded to just about everyone who was in the military (some of which didn't even leave the U.S.) during Desert Storm?
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 1:29:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Never heard that one Imbroglio, or at least they did'nt give me one.  In the Infantry PH's are refered to as "Enemy Marksmanship Badges".
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 2:33:48 PM EDT
[#8]
did you know:
the servicemen who were in the disco {LaBelle} in berlin which was bombed by terrorists in april of '86 all received purple hearts?
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 4:26:27 PM EDT
[#9]
9divdoc, were you with Mobile Riverines or Hackworth's gang?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top