Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2002 10:38:22 PM EDT

Purging Christianity from our culture
David Limbaugh  
July 3, 2002

Emboldened by the bizarre 9th Circuit Court of Appeals three-judge panel decision that the teacher-led recital of the Pledge of Allegiance is unconstitutional, plaintiff Michael Newdow is seeking other religious dragons to slay. Newdow explained on "Hannity and Colmes" that he brought the lawsuit because, "I'm an atheist, and the government's not supposed to impart its religion on society, and it does, and I tried to change that."

He was first upset about God's intrusion into our lives when, during an epiphany while buying soap, he discovered that our currency contained the words "In God We Trust." This non-divine revelation was apparently on the order of St. Augustine's vision.

St. Augustine, you will recall, was fighting his doubts and seeking to capture a firmer faith in Christ when he heard the voice of a boy or girl "chanting and oft repeating 'Take up and read,'" which he interpreted to be a direct command from God to pick up the Scriptures and read the first chapter "he should find." He opened the Bible and read, "Not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying; but put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh." He needed to read no further, "for instantly at the end of this sentence, by a light as it were of serenity infused into my heart, all the darkness of doubt vanished away."

Whereas Augustine's garden epiphany led to his instant and consuming faith in Christ, Mr. Newdow's supermarket epiphany resulted in this life-changing insight, "This is ridiculous. I don't trust in God. Why (is) my government putting this here? I knew there was something in the Constitution that said they weren't allowed to do it."

Newdow initially planned to sue the government over God's encroachment on our currency, but being a pragmatist, he decided he had a "much stronger case" in challenging the pledge. But with last week's empowering legal victory, he may pursue other injunctions against the Almighty.

According to the New York Times, he still plans to contest the currency and "would like to see an end to prayers at presidential inaugurations." He was quite perturbed at the numerous prayers at President Bush's inauguration. In a curious choice of terms for an avowed atheist, he described his reaction, "I said, 'Holy smokes, they can't do that!' Why should I be made to feel like an outsider?"

It's fairly easy to poke fun at the eccentric Newdow, who also, incidentally, wants to eradicate masculine and feminine pronouns from our dictionary. He would replace "he" and "she" with "re," "his" and "hers" with "rees" and "him" and "her" with "erm." "'Come on, try it out,' he says. 'Re went to the store. It's easy.'"

But don't get too giddy. Kooks have the same access to our courts as the next guy. And some of them seem determined to erase God from our society systematically.

Link Posted: 7/2/2002 10:39:15 PM EDT
[#1]
(cont.)

Isn't it ironic that they so proudly cite the Constitution yet are willfully blind to its original intent? They overlook the incontrovertible fact that the Establishment Clause was never intended as a restriction on state governments (the majority of which had state-established religions), much less on state education.

Its purpose was to prevent the federal government from establishing a national religion or to interfere with any religions already established by the states so that people in the several states (and their communities) could exercise their religion free from federal coercion, unlike the England from which their ancestors fled.

The Framers did not mean to bar God from our public lives or even from all aspects of our federal government. Indeed, the day after the House passed the First Amendment, the House passed a resolution establishing a national day of prayer and thanksgiving.

Let's wake up. Even if the 9th Circuit panel's silly decision is reversed, the anti-Christians, in the name of pluralism and tolerance, are intent on banishing the God of Bible and biblical values not just from the public square, but from our culture in general.

As unpopular as it is to say, biblical values -- thoroughly ingrained in our Founding Fathers and unmistakably incorporated into our founding documents -- are what has made these United States of America utterly unique in history.

[b]Our culture -- including our unparalleled tradition of freedom -- has declined and will continue to decline in direct proportion to our rejection of biblical values.[/b]

Of course Christians want no part of established religions, but neither do we want, nor can we afford, the excommunication of our founding values from the public square or our culture.

[url]http://www.townhall.com/columnists/davidlimbaugh/dl20020703.shtml[/url]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 10:40:34 PM EDT
[#2]
In before the lock [:D]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 10:42:06 PM EDT
[#3]
What 1GR said.

And it really is a shame that our country has so badly lost sight of our Christian roots....

Scott

Link Posted: 7/2/2002 11:02:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Did I make it?? Wooohooo!!

-legrue
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 2:59:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Why would this be locked?
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 3:12:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm in.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 4:08:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Actually, while I just about fully agree with Belloc's position in this matter;  given that there are nutcases like this guy out there, I'd rather he be going after the Almighty, than after our 2nd Ammendment rights. Ultimately he can't win, and it gives him something to do, while keeping him away from the EVIL GUNS.[;)]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 4:19:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Same old game of deception, just a different way of playing it....

For in those days shall be affliction, such as was not from the beginning of the creation which God created unto this time, neither shall be.
20  And except that the Lord had shortened those days, no flesh should be saved: but for the elect’s sake, whom he hath chosen, he hath shortened the days.
21  And then if any man shall say to you, Lo, here is Christ; or, lo, he is there; believe him not:
22  For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect.
23  But take ye heed: behold, I have foretold you all things.
24 ¶ But in those days, after that tribulation, the sun shall be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light.........
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 4:37:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 4:46:18 AM EDT
[#10]
[b]In Satan I trust[/b]. Put [i]that[/i] in the green ink biatch.

[dracula]

Link Posted: 7/3/2002 4:56:43 AM EDT
[#11]
[b]Our culture -- including our unparalleled tradition of freedom -- has declined and will continue to decline in direct proportion to our rejection of biblical values.[/b]

dreck.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 5:19:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I liked a letter to the editor posted in yesterday's Philly Inquirer:

The Achilles' heel of the Supreme Court's prevailing interpretation of the First Amendment finally has made itself evident: Eliminating any mention of God from the Pledge of Allegiance (Inquirer, June 27) indicates the government's "respecting" atheism above all theisms. The only remedy for this dilemma is for the court to revert to what the founding fathers intended when they adopted the First Amendment.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 5:46:50 AM EDT
[#13]
[url]http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=28160[/url]

[b]Daddy Lied[/b]
                           The 8-year-old at the center of last week's
                           controversial court ruling Ð which held that "under
                           God" in the Pledge of Allegiance is unconstitutional Ð is
                           a Christian who voluntarily submits to the classroom
                           recitation of the pledge, contrary to the claim made by
                           her father, who filed the case saying the girl was
                           "injured" by the practice.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:16:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Dear Belloc,

I have seen you post every so often, I am sure that I am only one of 5 or 6 that post here who actually know that your nom de plume refers to the Catholic convert Hilaire Belloc.  I have 'Essays of a Catholic' here on my desk, among other books by Chesterton, etc.  This will probably be the last generation of people, Catholic or not, who will ever hear the name Belloc.  

What you must understand, is that we are post facto.  Worrying about the pledge of allegiance being recited in public schools is largely irrelavant for the following reasons.

1)  The American Public School system was based upon the anti-religion Prussian system which sought to make its 'students' state serving robots.  This system was imported here in direct opposition and for the purposes of destroying the primarily Catholic parochial school system.  The U.S did not need compulsory public education as it already had the highest literacy rate in the Western World after the Civil War.  This is actually recorded in the great social scientists at the turn of the century who brought us the 'public school' system.

2)  Therefore, the public school system was, by design, anti-Catholic and more or less anti Christian.  Therefore, the system is not worth saving BY DESIGN.

3) Furthermore, the way the Courts have handed down one unsupported and erroneous decision after another regarding the seperation doctrine, what we are seeing with this Pledge of Allegiance verdict is simply a more accurate presentation of the law as concocted by the judiciary.

So many conservatives have been hamstrung by an insistance in trying to save institutions and concepts that are be default and be design hurtful to this foolish conservative supporter.  Like Benedict's Monastary was the solution to the breakup and corruption of Rome, so we must look for a solution to the current problems, and most likely this calls for ignoring the popular culture entirely with massive civil disobediance.  If we end up under a different flag, so be it.  

I actually prefer the banner of Louis IX.  I am also a veteran of the Chartres Pelerinage, 2001.  

One additional point, by and large the Protestant denominations here are not even Protestant by definition.  These nimrods just want a rapture ride on the mother-wheel to the ship in the tail of the next comet.

Fals
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:44:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I am sure that I am one of only 5 or 6 who post here that know my ashtray is on fire, right now.[:E]
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 12:45:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
[b]Dear Belloc,

I have seen you post every so often, I am sure that I am only one of 5 or 6 that post here who actually know that your nom de plume refers to the Catholic convert Hilaire Belloc.  I have 'Essays of a Catholic' here on my desk,[/b]
That just about makes my year.

[b]among other books by Chesterton, etc.[/b]
The warnings of Belloc and Chesterton have gone unheeded.
"Either Christ, or Chaos."
Hilliare Belloc
I am re-reading "Everlasting Man".

[b]This will probably be the last generation of people, Catholic or not, who will ever hear the name Belloc.[/b]
The reasons why this is true may also be the reasons why this may be the last generation.
As Chesterton has it, Western Civilization is in the process of a complete and utter collapse unprecedented in all of history, even by Roman standards. What was once known as Christendom has embraced pagan child sacrifice in the form of abortion and the hedonistic depravity of homosexual sodomy. As Chesterton writes, the only reason the illiterate and self centered masses don't realize this truth is because they have never gone through a collapse of civilization before, they don't recognize it even while it is happening.

[b]1)  The American Public School system was based upon the anti-religion Prussian system which sought to make its 'students' state serving robots.  

2)  Therefore, the public school system was, by design, anti-Catholic and more or less anti Christian.  Therefore, the system is not worth saving BY DESIGN.

3) Furthermore, the way the Courts have handed down one unsupported and erroneous decision after another regarding the seperation doctrine, what we are seeing with this Pledge of Allegiance verdict is simply a more accurate presentation of the law as concocted by the judiciary.[/b]
While this is in fact true, the purpose of my post was rather meant to be nothing more than a barometer reading. The great unwashed masses, as Thomas Jefferson warns, helping their masters "forge chains for themselves". Belloc's The Servile State attests to the truth of your statement.

[b]So many conservatives have been hamstrung by an insistance in trying to save institutions and concepts that are be default and be design hurtful to this foolish conservative supporter.[/b]
As in "1984" I am rather of the opinion that "conservative" is now "newspeak" for "not quite as liberal as the other guy".

[b]Like Benedict's Monastary was the solution to the breakup and corruption of Rome, so we must look for a solution to the current problems, and most likely this calls for ignoring the popular culture entirely with massive civil disobediance.  If we end up under a different flag, so be it.[/b]
Won't happen. People have in fact made of themselves slaves. They have done so voluntarily. How do you lead a people from bondage who are not only all too happy to remain slaves, but eager?

Link Posted: 7/4/2002 12:50:29 PM EDT
[#17]
[b]I actually prefer the banner of Louis IX.[/b]
[url]www.ewtn.com/library/MARY/LOUIS.htm[/url]

[b]I am also a veteran of the Chartres Pelerinage, 2001.[/b]
I am humbled.

[b]One additional point, by and large the Protestant denominations here are not even Protestant by definition.  These nimrods just want a rapture ride on the mother-wheel to the ship in the tail of the next comet.[/b]
Yes, as I have said on several occasions, if the first Protestants (Martin Luther for example) were alive today they would have to be Catholics as the churches they started do not any longer believe the tenets of those that founded them.

A good read:
[url]http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig/snyder3.html[/url]

In any event, good of you to say hello. An honor to make your aquaintence.
Belloc
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top