Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2006 8:43:38 AM EDT
Couple days ago some dirtbag shot a police officer in my town.  Police blocked off a pretty large section of town looking for the perp for a few hours.  Several schools were on "lockdown".  At a work meeting yesterday some folks who have kids in these schools remarked that even if a parent showed up at the door to the school the school wouldn't open the door and let the parent take their child, and apparently some parents were arrested for going to the school and making a stink about this.  My coworkers remarked that this was good as the kids are safer in the school than outside of it, which made me laugh.

So I'm  just curious if this is normal, schools being allowed to keep kids prisoner from their own parents because there is some nutjob on the loose (which is in fact a 24/7 reality).
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:34:32 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Couple days ago some dirtbag shot a police officer in my town.  Police blocked off a pretty large section of town looking for the perp for a few hours.  Several schools were on "lockdown".  At a work meeting yesterday some folks who have kids in these schools remarked that even if a parent showed up at the door to the school the school wouldn't open the door and let the parent take their child, and apparently some parents were arrested for going to the school and making a stink about this.  My coworkers remarked that this was good as the kids are safer in the school than outside of it, which made me laugh.

So I'm  just curious if this is normal, schools being allowed to keep kids prisoner from their own parents because there is some nutjob on the loose (which is in fact a 24/7 reality).

Public school= retarded.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:36:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Publich school=prison?  

I am so glad I did not spend much time in Publich school.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:37:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Not saying for against it.  I think the rationale is that the school administrators cannot know every parent.  They do not want to accidentally release a student to a perpetrator of some crime.  So, everybody leaves, or nobody leaves.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:38:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I was in public school up until the principal told my parents that "we know whats best for your son, you don't."

YMMV  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:41:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:45:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Not saying for against it.  I think the rationale is that the school administrators cannot know every parent.  They do not want to accidentally release a student to a perpetrator of some crime.  So, everybody leaves, or nobody leaves.

Makes sense.  

FWIW I was locked down in school once.  It wasn't a threat type thing but when I was in the 7th grade, the entire 7th grade was "locked down" and not allowed to leave their classes because the day before( I was home from school and missed all the drama) some students threw snowballs at other students.  The class then was placed on lockdown for about a week IIRC.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:47:56 AM EDT
[#7]
My mom's private school has been under lockdown a few times. So it's not just a public school thing.

It's mostly because the cops really don't want hurt kids. Also, a school makes for a bad hostage situation. So you remove that possibility from the equation.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:50:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Its Government School not Public!!!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Was this the lockdown in Lodi, WI? There was one there not too long ago. Same situation that you described.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:52:10 AM EDT
[#10]
It seems to me like public schools wat to take them selfes too seriosly.  They have a hard-on for power, and use saftey as a reason.  I had a peice of shit "counselor" who tried to strong arm EVERYBODY into going to Mankato State, and hated that I joined the Army.  I really hated school.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top