Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/13/2017 12:10:05 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 12:19:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Why is this a sticky in GD?
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 12:29:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, fucking fags talk about guns on a gun forum.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 12:35:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Test failure....you did not allow the bullet to travel far enough to gain maximum velocity. You need be at least 40 meters away, if not more, for proper results.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 12:36:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, fucking fags talk about guns on a gun forum.
View Quote
Exactly! This isn't a bullet forum! Getouttache!
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 12:57:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Test failure....you did not allow the bullet to travel far enough to gain maximum velocity. You need be at least 40 meters away, if not more, for proper results.
View Quote
Are you serious? Basic physics. A bullet only drops in speed after leaving the barrel. 
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 1:05:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, this thread is off to a great start.
Thanks for the video and the work involved, BlueFalcon.  I have wondered about this stuff.

Have you done the IMI heavy OTM bullets in factory loadings yet?
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 1:11:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Glad to see it performs well. I've had my OH SHIT mags filled with this stuff for a while, which was suggested to me here as a good alternative to 75gr TAP, which I could not find.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 1:12:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks for the video and the work involved, BlueFalcon.  I have wondered about this stuff.

View Quote
Aren't those just SMK's?
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 1:14:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
I understand some folks want the terminals tested at xxx yards. Film some. "Standard" testing is done at specific, repeatable and measurable circumstances. 30 feet primary distance, 60 feet for a secondary distance. The gel is temperature controlled, mixed to a standard and calibrated by a BB shot from a certain distance, at a certain speed, and expected to penetrate 3-3.5 in IIRC
Bullet tests aren't just some Bubba going out and shooting a bowl of jello. They are also a measuring device. A result of X indicates a result of Y should be expected in a live target. We lose sight of this too often.
Chopping Block, MrGuns and many of the others that do this, and stick to the FBI standards as closely as they can, are a special group. Thanks to all of you.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 1:15:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Is this the serbian brand? They were dirt cheap, plentiful and good enough to shoot back in the early 2000s.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 1:16:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I seem to recall, a member from Texas has some high praise for this load and bullet against feral hogs.  

@Ponyboy
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 1:24:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Best I have gotten is 2moa in an 18" rifle length ER Shaw stainless barrel.  I have a photo of a 10 shot group in this thread I did.

Here

The group there shows over 2moa.  I have done several groups with this stuff.  Not bad ammo but not what I would call match ammo either.  The gel ballistics I do not have the capability to perform yet.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 1:25:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I understand some folks want the terminals tested at xxx yards. Film some. "Standard" testing is done at specific, repeatable and measurable circumstances. 30 feet primary distance, 60 feet for a secondary distance. The gel is temperature controlled, mixed to a standard and calibrated by a BB shot from a certain distance, at a certain speed, and expected to penetrate 3-3.5 in IIRC
Bullet tests aren't just some Bubba going out and shooting a bowl of jello. They are also a measuring device. A result of X indicates a result of Y should be expected in a live target. We lose sight of this too often.
Chopping Block, MrGuns and many of the others that do this, and stick to the FBI standards as closely as they can, are a special group. Thanks to all of you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Standardizing is great, but "you did not allow the bullet to travel far enough to gain maximum velocity. You need be at least 40 meters away" is just derp. Loads have gained their maximum velocity at the muzzle
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 1:25:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not yet.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 1:29:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you are serious GTFO and go home.  Get your shine box maybe?
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 1:31:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Best I have gotten is 2moa in an 18" rifle length ER Shaw stainless barrel.  I have a photo of a 10 shot group in this thread I did.

Here

The group there shows over 2moa.  I have done several groups with this stuff.  Not bad ammo but not what I would call match ammo either.  The gel ballistics I do not have the capability to perform yet.
View Quote
As you know, that will depend on your rifle. I normally get about 1.5" from PPU 75 gr BTHP with a 16" carbine. I once got just under 1", but that was a five shot group.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 1:31:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought a case of it for my 1:7 build and it does very well. I found the gel results very gratifying. I ended up using 77gr IMI 'Razor Core' for this rifle but I kept the PPU 75gr. I also have two cases of the PPU 'M855' which is also very good ammo. I am using PPU 69gr in my Colt with 1:9 barrel, which I can shoot into an inch at 50 yds with a red dot from sand bags. I have never found any 'bad' PPU ammo.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 1:31:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Standardizing is great, but "you did not allow the bullet to travel far enough to gain maximum velocity. You need be at least 40 meters away" is just derp. Loads have gained their maximum velocity at the muzzle
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
He winked. I think he was being facetious.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 1:33:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I bought a case of it for my 1:7 build and it does very well. I found the gel results very gratifying. I ended up using 77gr IMI 'Razor Core' for this rifle but I kept the PPU 75gr. I also have two cases of the PPU 'M855' which is also very good ammo. I am using PPU 69gr in my Colt with 1:9 barrel, which I can shoot into an inch at 50 yds with a red dot from sand bags. I have never found any 'bad' PPU ammo.
View Quote
The 69 gr didn't penetrate deeply enough in an earlier test I did. PPU handgun ammo is kinda not great.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 2:27:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Here

View Quote
Thanks but he didn't evaluate it as match ammo ... it evaluated it as stop the bad person ammo.

things that go bump in the night still get 855 from my M-15 armalite.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:18:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Excellent info as usual Andrew, thanks. 
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:47:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Another great video!

Why is this tacked...lol?

Ammo performed inadequately for either a hunting round or self defense. Much too shallow penetration! I would only use something like this if I lived in an apartment or townhouse.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:48:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Will you test this load sometime with a sbr? Please.    
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:52:05 PM EDT
[#24]
OP--thanks for using your resources and your time to provide this information to the AR community.

Great stuff.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 4:02:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Here

View Quote
Huh.....I was getting much better groups out of a 1:8 Wylde 18.5" MSAR. As good as .223 TAP....
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 4:04:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

As you know, that will depend on your rifle. I normally get about 1.5" from PPU 75 gr BTHP with a 16" carbine. I once got just under 1", but that was a five shot group.
View Quote
Sure I was just curious what barrel you were getting that from?  The ER Shaw stainless at one point in it's life was capable of (give or take) 1moa with some handloads.  I have since removed it from use and rebarreled as it began to open up.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 4:06:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Thanks but he didn't evaluate it as match ammo ... it evaluated it as stop the bad person ammo.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here

I am truly aware of this.  But when you look at the box, all of the ones I have purchased, it says match ammo.  Hence my using the term match ammo.  Being informed helps.  No big.

Things that go bump in the night for me get Gold Dot 64gr.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 4:10:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Huh.....I was getting much better groups out of a 1:8 Wylde 18.5" MSAR. As good as .223 TAP....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here

Cool, different barrel.  My ER Shaw stainless got the best groups with it.  My CHF CL barrels some of which are capable of 1moa, were getting 2moa+.

My ER Shaw was a 1:8 Wylde.  I have since learned that with these type guns the barrel quality matters way more than a wylde chamber.  I probably won't buy another wylde chamber, at least on purpose.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 4:13:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Love the music.

I consider myself one of the early adopters of this round.

I used a free floated 1/8 18" sabre barrel and rra two stage trigger to good effect.  Never moa for me, but I'm not an moa shooter.  The round was definitely more accurate than I was which is all I can ask for from an affordable and consistent and expanding round.

The early word was they can expand a little and shoot better-than-combat.  Seeing as they were probably the only affordable non TAP rounds in that weight class, I loved them.  Then pricing went North of 400/k and I lost interest.

Later I really invested in wolf 75gr literally the day they became available.   They should have been marked 75" groups.  Holy wow, those were terrible rounds.

Great video.  I remember there was consistency testing previously and anecdotal effectiveness testing, but your clear after shots of the round post-impact is a new one for me.

Good job.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 4:33:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Sure I was just curious what barrel you were getting that from?  The ER Shaw stainless at one point in it's life was capable of (give or take) 1moa with some handloads.  I have since removed it from use and rebarreled as it began to open up.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just a 16" 1:9" M4 profile RRA. I'll bet that, on average, that Shaw barrel would shoot circles around my RRA.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 4:40:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Love the music.

I consider myself one of the early adopters of this round.

I used a free floated 1/8 18" sabre barrel and rra two stage trigger to good effect.  Never moa for me, but I'm not an moa shooter.  The round was definitely more accurate than I was which is all I can ask for from an affordable and consistent and expanding round.

The early word was they can expand a little and shoot better-than-combat.  Seeing as they were probably the only affordable non TAP rounds in that weight class, I loved them.  Then pricing went North of 400/k and I lost interest.

Later I really invested in wolf 75gr literally the day they became available.   They should have been marked 75" groups.  Holy wow, those were terrible rounds.

Great video.  I remember there was consistency testing previously and anecdotal effectiveness testing, but your clear after shots of the round post-impact is a new one for me.

Good job.
View Quote
Thank you. Yeah, I did a gel test on my own channel of the 75 gr Wolf. No bueno.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 4:52:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Looks nice!  I still have a few boxes of this, I might get more after watching this video.

Testing at different ranges is not a bad idea, not because of any differences in velocity, but because most spitzer bullets don't stabilize until after they have traveled a while.

I once shot a .308 FMJ into a row of OJ cartons.  (Poor man's ballistic gelatin).

I was surprised to see it bounce off of the 4th carton, back into the 3rd one, from about 5 yards.

Conducted a similar test at 100 yards, and the bullet drilled through 6 cartons and kept on going.

Range does make a difference in terminal performance, but not because the bullet continues to accelerate after it leaves the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 5:30:08 PM EDT
[#33]
While that result could be explained by stability, it can also be a result of lower velocity.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He's not and you missed the joke.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 6:59:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been wondering how to spell that word.

Thank you for testing and posting your results. I've always had great fortune with this ammo
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Serbs make good kebob remover.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#37]
My favorite ammo. Good to see it works well in a test like this.

Now if I could just find it more regularly...
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 7:33:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Love ya buddy but your chrono is fucky.

No way a .223 spec 75gr is going 2800 in that bbl. More like 2550.

Great bullet though and great test as usual. I used to use that for HD before 64gr GD.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/491816_Prvi_Partizan_75_grain_Match_Ammunition___Velocity__Accuracy_and_Terminal_Ballistics.html
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 7:57:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Shot over 2k of this loading.  My SPR does about 1 MOA out of a match barrel.  It actually works very well on deer.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 8:01:32 PM EDT
[#40]
My notes on velocity say 2605 fps out of an 18 tube. Ymmv however.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 8:05:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Someone got a slider!
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 8:33:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Love ya buddy but your chrono is fucky.

No way a .223 spec 75gr is going 2800 in that bbl. More like 2550.

Great bullet though and great test as usual. I used to use that for HD before 64gr GD.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/491816_Prvi_Partizan_75_grain_Match _Ammunition___Velocity__Accuracy_and_Terminal_Ballistics.html
View Quote
I'm confident in the velocity result. That's a quality chrono. It was very hot that day, though.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 8:41:10 PM EDT
[#43]
That's fair, but heat isnt going to add 300fps IMO. Thanks for taking the time to do it either way
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 8:51:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Things that go bump in the night for me get a pat on the head and hold my hand to the bathroom.  You guys live in exciting places.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 9:11:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Things that go bump in the night for me get a pat on the head and hold my hand to the bathroom.  You guys live in exciting places.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, we don't live in exciting places, you are just way to serious.  

My kids are 16 and 19.  Nobody holds my hand to the bathroom.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 9:35:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Impressive.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 10:21:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I've been wondering how to spell that word.
View Quote
"Just remember it's one of a few English words that have all the vowels, in order" he said facetiously.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 12:55:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yet..........
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 2:11:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Great video @bluefalcon

Your production of these vids is ever improving.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 6:47:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Thanks, great video. 
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top