User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/11/2013 4:25:53 PM EDT

Least that one was thought out.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:27:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Let them suffer the same way the rest of us do.  They don't deserve special protections just because they're gay.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:30:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Let them suffer the same way the rest of us do.  They don't deserve special protections just because they're gay.
View Quote
My opinion is if Gays wanna marry let em...........They can either be miserable or happy together....Just like straight couples.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:33:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:35:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:38:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#6]
My issue is the government should have no say in marraige.  Marraige is a religious covenant and it should be up to the particular church, temple, mosque, or teepee.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:23:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Well I'll fuck her in the ass and call her Shirley.....
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:25:29 PM EDT
[#8]
If I was a chick, I would choose to be a lesbo, too.  Because titties.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:27:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yup...honestly I probably wouldn't leave the house

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:28:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Why should the joys of divorce only be enjoyed by us straight folks?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:29:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why should the joys of divorce only be enjoyed by us straight folks?
View Quote

Kind of my viewpoint too.  It's not like people don't live together without being married or anything,
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:29:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Didn't the pilgrims chose to have secular marriages?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:33:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My issue is the government should have no say in marraige.  Marraige is a religious covenant and it should be up to the particular church, temple, mosque, or teepee.
View Quote

So what about those of us that have no use for the church or organized religion? Does the state get to step in then or should the church be forced to do it? As far as I am concerned marriage is a legal contract, not a religious covenant.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit.  Id be slapping my own tits around all fucking day.  I would need a work-from-home job, so my career didnt interfere with my titty slapping.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:42:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No shit.  Id be slapping my own tits around all fucking day.  I would need a work-from-home job, so my career didnt interfere with my titty slapping.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Webcam = work from home titty slapping job.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:51:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sonofabitch, you are onto something!

That sir, is genius.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:52:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:53:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

So what about those of us that have no use for the church or organized religion? Does the state get to step in then or should the church be forced to do it? As far as I am concerned marriage is a legal contract, not a religious covenant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As far as the .gov goes, there should only be "civil unions".
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Poster makes a valid point.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:57:17 PM EDT
[#20]
This is how I feel if they can find a church willing to marry them let it happen.

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:59:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This is how I feel if they can find a church willing to marry them let it happen.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:59:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

The State is a religion.

Hell a good number of GD are ardent followers.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:00:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know that web site ...  I haven't been over there in a while, I'm going to go over there and do some research on this subject so I can speak more intelligently about it here. Be back in a few..

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:03:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Get married....I don't give a shit.

But call it something different....."marriage" is already defined.

You're cheapening my shit.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:08:09 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote
What do they call divorces? Uncivil splits?

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:11:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, marriage used to be a matter of significant public interest, back when parents actually had to be responsible for their progeny.

Now, however, it doesn't seem to matter in many cases, since .gov will just take over if baby-daddy isn't available or has too many kids with too many women to support them all.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:12:06 PM EDT
[#27]
So one group of children wants to feel special by having the title of marriage bestowed on them, and get mad when another group wants to have that title too.

Children vs children.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm on your side and have wrestled with this, but the drive through Vegas marriages and celebrity "marriages" doesn't help us in the "cheapening."
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:18:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

That!!
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:30:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

How's this?  And why are you letting someone else's definition of marriage affect your perception of the union with your husband?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:44:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree. .gov should only concern itself with civil unions. not marriage.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:48:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would argue that a legal contract is a civil union, and a marriage is a religious covenant. the two should be different, and there should be no government benefit or penalty for a religious covenant.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:50:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:59:29 PM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:25:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
So one group of children wants to feel special by having the title of marriage bestowed on them, and get mad when another group wants to have that title too.

Children vs children.
View Quote

Because marriage in western culture has historically been a mechanism for legitimizing the Inheritance of property from parent to child and codifying rights and responsibilities w/in the family unit w/ regards to a man, woman and children relationship.  As such, it is by its nature not applicable to same sex relationships.

If a civil contract granting certain benefits and duties to people outside of a traditional marriage is beneficial and warranted,  why link it to sex at all.  Why should people outside of a committed emotional or sexual relationship be denied certain benefits.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:36:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think I see what you did there
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:36:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Get government out of marriage.  Problem solved.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:44:19 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View Quote
This was always my attitude on the whole gay thing, until I realized marriage is not a government matter. It is a religious matter ONLY. It is so mainstream that it has separated itself from the church completely in some cases but that doesn't change what it really is. Being as its a religious ting they get to say who can do it. What NEEDS to happen is get the government out of marriage in EVERY way and then let the religious people handle their own stuff.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#39]
I still don't get it. Nobody has said gays can't marry someone of the opposite sex. That would actually be discrimination....
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:56:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I would argue that a legal contract is a civil union, and a marriage is a religious covenant. the two should be different, and there should be no government benefit or penalty for a religious covenant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats all well and good, as long as a church marriage is separate from the government, no tax breaks or any other .gov benefits. Maybe everyone should have a CU to cover the legal aspect and those who wish can also have a separate church wedding to get right with whatever god they need to please.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:49:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:01:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's actually a family covenant.
There is NO biblical example of anyone being married in a church.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:02:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Children vs children.
View Quote

Your premise contains your conclusion.
That is the logical fallacy of begging the question.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:03:16 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote

Ditto.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:03:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm on your side and have wrestled with this, but the drive through Vegas marriages and celebrity "marriages" doesn't help us in the "cheapening."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.
Marriage was destroyed by the heteros way before the gays got interested.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:05:51 PM EDT
[#46]
everybody should have the right to be unhappy and not get any.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:15:32 PM EDT
[#47]
No people are born assholes cunt. Someone should follow her around with an I was born a racist sign.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:23:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Gays can get married. Lots of gays from my highschool got married, had a wedding and everything.

The question is whether or not the government should acknowledge the marriage. I haven't heard a single argument for this. I'm honestly undecided, I would like to hear the pro-gay reasons why they should be recognized, as opposed to "why do you care what they do in the bedroom" type argument. I'm also curious as to whether this would open the door for people to marry dogs next. Man's best friend and all.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:34:21 PM EDT
[#49]
funny
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:43:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Gays can get married. Lots of gays from my highschool got married, had a wedding and everything.

The question is whether or not the government should acknowledge the marriage. I haven't heard a single argument for this. I'm honestly undecided, I would like to hear the pro-gay reasons why they should be recognized, as opposed to "why do you care what they do in the bedroom" type argument. I'm also curious as to whether this would open the door for people to marry dogs next. Man's best friend and all.
View Quote

The "pro-gay" reasons that "gay marriage" should be recognized have to do with things like rights of survivorship and the shit-ton of laws that use the words "spouse" and "married". The only reason that gay people aren't in favor of just having the government recognize "civil unions" has to do with the language of existing laws. "Civil union" is not mentioned as much. Getting "gay marriage" recognized is seen as a protection from a spouse being denied a benefit or being excluded from insurance because the policy says "married" not "civil union".

In fact all marriages that involve a marriage license and a ceremony performed by an ordained (certified by the state) minister or judge are really civil unions. Whether the ceremony took place in a church or had a religious ceremony associated with it is of no consequence of the state, they really don't care. But if you don't have that license in many places, you aren't married (sometimes common law marriage does take effect after a length of cohabitation).

I see the argument against gay marriage as religious bigotry thinly veiled as a semantic misunderstanding.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top