Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2007 8:00:55 AM EDT
I started getting some rust on the top of my table saw. Not much but some. What works good for keeping the rust away but won't be picked up by the wood I am cutting?

The saw is stored in my garage.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 9:03:25 AM EDT
[#1]
The top may be cast iron. You can try some wax. Or oil lightly and wipe off b4 use.

Stay safe
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 9:55:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I have an old can of Johnsons paste wax that I apply to the top.  I clean and re-apply every 6 months or so.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 9:08:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Paste wax.
Apply thoroughly, allow to dry till dull, buff until shiny.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 1:31:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree with paste wax. I also will through a couple a handfuls of saw dust if its going to sit a while seems to help absorb the moisture
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 3:19:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I agree with paste wax. I also will through a couple a handfuls of saw dust if its going to sit a while seems to help absorb the moisture

Down here in the "rust belt",   sawdust left on the cast iron tables will cause some of your problems after a while.  Even hand tools left out to meet with room air will develop a light rust coating after a few days....Lovely humidity.

I'll often use butchers wax in paste form after gently scuffing it with some OOOO emory cloth or something similar to remove any surface rust if ive neglected it long enough.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 3:35:41 PM EDT
[#6]
wax !
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top