Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/23/2001 4:07:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/23/2001 4:08:50 PM EDT by kato4moto]
Having had the chance to briefly study the Street Sweeper but having heard no feedback on it, I wondered if anyone here had any. It seems like a pretty simple design so it should be reliable. Is it? Is it easy to shoot well in home-defense situations, which is what I imagine most people would've bought 'em for? Does that cylinder make it too bulky/heavy? How much did these things go for new? Just curious.[?] (Edited to add question mark to title)
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 4:30:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 4:42:34 PM EDT
I didn't know that there were any "pros" to them. Well, aside from royally honking off the anti's, anyway.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 5:01:29 PM EDT
From what I've heard from the local LEO armorer guys is; it's good the thing was banned. It was/is a piece of S$%^. Buy a Remington or Benelli. Both work good. Doug
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:07:10 PM EDT
well before they were declared destructive devices (bullSh*t politics agien) i had a chance to shoot one. damn thing IS a piece of shit. jams to damn much
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:12:08 PM EDT
Buy a benelli or a MsBerg 590.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:16:41 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:25:18 PM EDT
The folding stock HURT when I fired it. But they sure look cool.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:32:49 PM EDT
Pros and cons of the street sweeper.... Well pro would be that when they do come around, they do a pretty good job of getting rid of the loose debris. The con would be that they pay these gubment workers too much for a service thats not needed. hope this helps. [BD] [uzi][whacko][heavy]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:28:43 PM EDT
Now I always thought the Street Sweepers were full auto? I talked to a guy one time that had a Striker 12 and he said it was full auto, now I'm wondering which is correct, anyone know?
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:35:29 PM EDT
Ditto Phil in Seattle. Hey, I was gonna say that!
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:47:36 PM EDT
Street sweepers are NOT full auto, and I don't see how one could be made to run full auto without turning it into a sort of 12 Ga. Vulcan cannon type of thing with a motor and batteries and a big burly guy shooting it and muttering "I'll Be Back" Anyways, what your friend may have been referring to is a USAS12, which is a fullauto 12 Ga. that some what bears a resemblance to an AR on steroids and is as uncontrollable as an enraged moose. The one that I had never jammed and was a blast to shoot. the only problem that I had was that the handle to eject the empties out of the drum skinned my finger pretty bad when I used it. Pros: Intimidating as hell 12 rounds of your favorite flavor of 12 Ga makes you feel like a video game warrior Can be stored loaded without spring tension Cons: Drum revolving torques the weapon in your hands Folding stock is brutal on the shoulder NFA weapon DD VERY VERY slow to reload Chuck
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:59:08 PM EDT
Ok since the Street Sweepers aren't full auto then why are they a DD? It doesn't make sense then because most "defense" shotguns hold 7+1 2 3/4 shells and you can get folding stocks for them so I don't see why a SS that only holds 4 more rounds is considered a DD? It just doesn't make sense to me to go thru all the NFA hoops to get 4 rounds ?!?!
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 9:08:12 PM EDT
You are correct, it does not make sense to jump through NFA hoops to get the 4 more rounds. The only reason to own one is the coolness factor(Thats the only reason that I had one) I sold it to a dealer who registered it and has it in his collection. I believe that they reclassified it because someone drew a line and said that any shotgun that holds over X ammount of rounds is destructive and we need money for you to own it. More of that feel good BS. Chuck
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 9:12:29 PM EDT
Thanks for all the info Chuck!
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 9:13:49 PM EDT
Pro: It's less expensive than a Striker 12. Con: It's the same thing as a Striker 12, but lower quality and poor workmanship. If you must get a revolving cylinder 12 ga, get a Striker. Otherwise, don't bother. Oh, as for the ban and why... A Clinton appointee in the treasury found that part defining a large-bore-destructive-device. He noted that it exempted "sporting shotguns." Guess what got to be declared unsporting? The Streetsweeper, Striker 12, and USAS 12. The SPAS/LAW series guns were left alone, as were pistol-grip shotguns. Why? They went after ANY shotgun that was revolving cylinder or too a detachable magazine and had evil features. The only notable exception is the SPAS-15. This was omitted probably because the moron in charge didn't know that they existed. Thus, they are the only legal preban (NON-NFA) shotgun out there that can take a detachable magazine. Someone told me that cylinder-fed shotguns were made in the 40's but never went anywhere. I've never seen one or heard corroboration on that, though. Mike
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 9:20:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/23/2001 9:22:51 PM EDT by 300ydClean]
There are Russian Baikal shotguns on the market that take detachable mags. I believe that they only hold three or maybe five rounds though.(Non NFA Title 1 weapons) I remember awhile back that there was a conversion that would allow one to convert a Remington 1100 to feed from a belt. Anyone remember seeing this?? Anyone ever actually see one that was converted or fire one?? Now that would be a good idea eh!!!!! Chuck
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 9:24:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/23/2001 9:21:34 PM EDT by Gunrunner]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 10:30:20 PM EDT
If you're still interested, Long Mountain Outfitters have a bunch of them. [url]http://www.longmountain.com/sweeper.htm[url] Old movie prop guns. Prices are cheap, my guess is they make better movie guns, than they do defensive guns.
Top Top