Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/8/2004 12:43:36 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:37:37 AM EST
When you just "have" to get them on, it doesn't matter how they go on, just get them on and fix it later. Generally, however, yes, there is a sequence that its best to work from, and do it the same every time. You can develop your own technique over time on how you want to do it.
Yes, key holes up away from the hand.Wrists are usually top of wrist to top of wrist.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:10:09 AM EST
Remember... they are not built for comfort .
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:31:29 AM EST
We handcuff from the weak side.

You can come in on either side of the client but the cuffs are in your weak hand. Keyholes up. Palms out.

But if he/she is being a dick, then they just get put on and when you get them to the holding area you take them off.

Always remember easy on you Hard on them.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:36:09 AM EST
there is no one perfect way to cuff someone. It depends on the situation and the surroundings. You want to try to place them at as much of a disadvantage as you can. Someone who has one cuff on has a very usaable weapon, until you get the other one on. This is why it is so important to cuff them up as quickly as possible. You can adjust/double lock them later.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:37:06 AM EST

Originally Posted By Tweak:
I remember bits of it from a briefing given to my unit by some MPs but I think I'm forgetting the fine points.

Opening goes forward, key holes go up, back of one wrist to front of other. Right?

I thought they said something about grabbing the wrists in a certain sequence or fashion to make it go much faster.

I'm looking for the quickest, safest way.

I'm an MP here,

typically there is the book way "hands on top of head, turn around, spread your feet" and then you cuff one hand and than the other, key holes up so the prisoner does not have access to them in case he has a key (remember to search his back around where his hands are, make sure no key or anything he can use to pick it), back of hand to the back of hand.

Than there is the real life way, where you basically wrestle with the guy and slap the cuffs on any way you can. Once you have the cuffs on, you put on a pair the correct way and than take the cuffs off that are incorrect after the correct way cuffs are on.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:37:24 AM EST

easy on you Hard on them

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:38:18 PM EST
back of the hand to back of the hand... you can always slap on a second pair with the keyholes up and then remove the other pair. Getting them on is whats important as everyones mentioned.. adjusting can come later
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:22:33 AM EST

Originally Posted By thesacrifice:
back of the hand to back of the hand... you can always slap on a second pair with the keyholes up and then remove the other pair. Getting them on is whats important as everyones mentioned.. adjusting can come later

+1

J
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:42:48 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/9/2004 6:46:25 AM EST by natez]
This is easier to show someone than to try and explain over the Internet, and there are several different methods, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Given that there will likely be a severe language barrier between you and anyone you are trying to handcuff, the complex methods with lots of pre hands-on movements and talking the suspect into a control position probably aren't going to be terribly useful. Prone them out and handcuff from there (and there are several ways to do that correctly) is probably your simplest and safest method to pantomime to someone who does not speak English (at least that is what works around here).

If your unit needs this skill, contact one of your local PDs or SOs and ask for some Patrol or SWAT instructors to come by during drill or during your mobilization train-up and run a block of instruction for your folks. We have volunteered to provide this and other training to deploying units from our local area (although I doubt they are going to let us go to Washington state to help with this), and you will find that most LE agencies are very supportive of our deploying troops. Also inquire about building searches, CQB tactics, frisks, Simunitions training and various other LE skill sets that we have lots of real-world experience in that would be of use to you in the sandbox. Every time we have trained military units (and we were doing that even pre-9-11) we have imparted some good skills, and always bring back useful information and skills that we incorporate into our training. The exchange of ideas and information is a great thing, and we also want to do our (small) part to win the war.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:52:55 AM EST
Anyone try out those new cuffs from ASP with the Key holes on BOTH SIDES? I saw them in the Galls catalogue.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:53:36 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/9/2004 6:54:13 AM EST by fizassist]

Originally Posted By KC0CXA:
You can come in on either side of the client but the cuffs are in your weak hand.

That's what I like to see: a customer service oriented approach.

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 9:05:54 PM EST

Originally Posted By markm:
Anyone try out those new cuffs from ASP with the Key holes on BOTH SIDES? I saw them in the Galls catalogue.

Co_worker just got a set. I am not too impressed. Yeah, the weight savings is great, as is the double lock mechanism that shows red when it's not locked, but half of the damn things are "polymer".

I have specific problems with the hinge area being plastic, slip a seat belt tab in the there and twist..... Wala!
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 9:34:11 PM EST
In my training there's always the "high", "medium" and "low" risk techniques taught.
Of course no on ever actually does it by the book in real life...
It's importand to keep in mind the 99.9% of cuffs out there are just temporary restraints. Do not rely on them to keep anyone secure.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 9:47:28 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:46:00 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:30:24 PM EST
Remember if your in a pile make sure your handcuffing the correct person.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:34:17 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:59:07 AM EST
The easiest way I've found with a cooperative suspect is to have the suspect,

Stand with feet spread apart,

Bend over at the waist, and look away from you,

Point both thumbs in the air. This will make sure the backs of the hands are together,

Approach from the weak side and cuff quickly.

Pretty simple and it works.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:35:22 AM EST
I use the same method as firedog. Used to do it like guardian855 but I cut someones ear once when I had the angle wrong. Yes people get cuffed standing up, maybe and no people get proned out.
Top Top