Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2006 4:58:25 PM EDT
Ya know - all the local propane shops have jacked their prices up with the rising cost of natural gas and such.....

Yet Wal-Mart is still, after all this time, charging $14 for a gas grill refill/tank swap..... still the best price in town, and not a penny more than a year ago.

Wonder why?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:00:10 PM EDT
[#1]
If you listen to some, I'm sure they would say it comes from China.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:01:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I just swapped a tank at a Wally World in Charlotte, NC last Sunday and paid $15.40.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:02:23 PM EDT
[#3]
loss leader just like costcos fuel is a loss leader...
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:05:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I get my propane from Strickland Propane.  Hank Hill is the assistant manager.  He sells propane and propane accessories.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:08:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Tank swaps around here are $17 and change!  Luckily, I use a wood fired smoker for grilling!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:10:57 PM EDT
[#6]
More than likely it is a contract based price. At the end of the contract the price will probably go up.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:20:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I get my propane from Strickland Propane.  Hank Hill is the assistant manager.  He sells propane and propane accessories.  

IL to TX....that's quite a drive!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:23:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Walmart has propane?

We have 2 inches of ice coming.  Walmart ain't got dick.  

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:27:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IL to TX....that's quite a drive!

He drives it up to me in the big tanker that says "Strickland Propane" on the side.

Strickland Propane, taste the meat, not the heat!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:41:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I just got back from the local Exxon station and had mine filled for $9.50.  Why go to Wally World and exchange tanks?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:46:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I just got back from the local Exxon station and had mine filled for $9.50.  Why go to Wally World and exchange tanks?

Where?  That is cheap.  I dont know any Exxon stations in Plano that do that, especially not for $9.50!

I like Exchanging tanks.... I gave them two older rusty ones (they did have the new valve and OPD) and got two new nice looking full tanks.  Really quick... I dont have to wait either.  Why WOULDN'T you want an exchange.... as long as you are using standard tanks?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:46:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I got suckered into tank exchange once.  I traded my brand new tank for a rusty POS from blue rhino that used a non-refillable-by-conventional-means OPD valve.
Now I pay $9.00 for a refill at Agway which usually takes less than 5 minutes.   Tank exchange is a big rip off.  Blue Rhino can kiss my ass.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:00:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Falarak:   Lone Star Exxon in Sherman at the intersection of US 75 and Hwy 82. Paid the same at Lone Star Mobil in Van Alstyne the last time I filled it up. Someone ran into their pump station this week and it vented their entire tank before they could get it shut off. Like to have been a bloody big boom.

By the time you figure in gas cost it's just as cheap to exchange down there I guess.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:07:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Buckley got blowed up mishandling the propane, but thank god Chuck Mangione didn't get hurt.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:15:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Buckley got blowed up mishandling the propane, but thank god Chuck Mangione didn't get hurt.

Yeah, you know that one time the Mega Lo Mart got blown up?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:20:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Walmart here in KY is at $14 they were $12 last summer though.  I've been told there is a truck stop where I can get my tanks refilled for $7 however I spent $10 in gas driving around trying to find it and never did.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:31:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I wonder if it's so cheap because of the amount Wal-Mart uses internally plus the smaller amount they sale?   Wal-Mart's use a lot of propane-powered equipment.  Just last night I saw four propane-powered floor polishers running.  Aside: I don't know if it's a good idea to use all of the propane engines Wal-Mart uses.  The exhaust fumes were bothering quite a few kids in the store.  I wonder about the CO2 levels in the enclosed store from all of that exhaust.

I just got back from the local Exxon station and had mine filled for $9.50.

That's a great price.  I just paid $49 for that at a local Exxon.z
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:45:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
More than likely it is a contract based price. At the end of the contract the price will probably go up.

Probably not now...

Natural gas prices quit going up 6-8 weeks ago and have dramatically dropped.

Natural gas prices are back down they are now a little over half of what they were at the peak. My guess is Wal-Mart just ate the temporary price increase.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top