Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2016 10:08:20 AM EDT
Looking at eliminating the drain on the electrical grid and getting an on demand propane water heater.   Wife won't complain anymore also a plus,   Just the 2 of us in the house now, with kids visit twice a month.  About a 30ft run to the bathroom from mounting location.

What is the best on the market for reliability and use?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:09:18 AM EDT
[#1]
The only one I have experience with is Bosch. It was awesome! I wish my current house had one.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:07:38 AM EDT
[#2]
199k or bigger btu is the only thing I would consider.

There are some quirks you need to be aware of.

Temp rise per flow rate
The heater will reduce flow to maintain temp

A buffer tank is needed of you want to eliminate the cold water sandwich.

They also need to be maintained yearly by descaling them.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:01:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Looking at eliminating the drain on the electrical grid and getting an on demand propane water heater.   Wife won't complain anymore also a plus,   Just the 2 of us in the house now, with kids visit twice a month.  About a 30ft run to the bathroom from mounting location.

What is the best on the market for reliability and use?

Thanks
View Quote

I would say stay with a tank heater 40 gallon.

I have 2 Takagi tank-less water heaters, and both are propane and one of them just broke.

They have to many intricate parts, and it runs about $300.00 dollars a year to have them cleaned out professionally.

You may also spend up $500.00 to have the valves put on them to clean and flush the system yourself with that special pump.

Fuck That, I had had my home owners warranty replace one of them with a 50 ga Bradford white tank.

I am on propane and use well water.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:04:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm also on propane and well water-

After looking at all the mods and cost necessary to go with tankless, went with a replacement 50 gal heater.

For 2 people it provides nearly "endless hot water", which is the big selling point of tankless.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:08:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a Bosch 125(?) in a house with one bath and a Bosch 250 (rebadged Rinnai) in a house with two baths.

The 250 developed some kind of ignition problem.

I was able to get a GE Hybrid 50 gallon unit for next to nothing - cost +10%, spiff and tax credits made my net out of pocket something like $200. Electricity is cheap here and propane was expensive at the time, my energy cost went down with the electric unit and we very rarely run out of hot water.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:13:02 PM EDT
[#6]
With well water the minerals will build up on the heat exchanger fast. And it is not practical in that case.

I descale mine on my own. Its easy to do.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:13:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I have two Rheem 4.5 gpm exterior mounted units on propane.  They have worked flawlessly for 5 years.  Occasionally, it can get very cold and despite the insulation, when it gets below 0 F they freeze up if water isn't trickled through them.  They worked fine even after complete freeze ups.  I had a guy run addtional water/propane lines, install both units for $200.  I paid $500 for each unit....$1200 total cost was a great investment.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:15:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
With well water the minerals will build up on the heat exchanger fast. And it is not practical in that case.

View Quote

Haven't had a problem with mine.  My water is hard.  You actually get much more mineral precipitation and biofouling (hydrogen sulfide) from water quality issues and tank environments.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:21:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Haven't had a problem with mine.  My water is hard.  You actually get much more mineral precipitation and biofouling (hydrogen sulfide) from water quality issues and tank environments.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure some wells are better than others. Even with a tank yearly flushing and annode maintenance will extend the life of the unit.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:37:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I picked up an Ecotemp on Amazon for around $300. Its worked fine for me for 4 years.

Aviator
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:46:52 PM EDT
[#11]
What kind of cost savings realizes over a standard electric?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:02:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I installed a Bosch 520 LP tankless water heater and it has been fantastic. They are only slightly more efficient than tanked water heaters. 8 - 10% if I remember correctly.
I'm on well water also, but it is very soft water although it does get a bit of sediment through it. I have a whole house filter that solves that problem.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:07:15 PM EDT
[#13]
We have a Bosch - like it fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top