Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2002 11:27:33 PM EDT
I have been wanting to shoot a propane tank (B-B-Q style with propane in it) with a tracer round.

Has anyone done this?

I have shot several with FMJ that had propane or anhydrous ammonia in them..they just make a cloud and hissing sound..nothing very fun. (I do this for work related reasons)

However, I really want to shoot one with a tracer...but I am sorta' scared.  

medcop
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 11:31:09 PM EDT
[#1]
shave off your eyebrows first [:D]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 11:56:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never done this.  However, if you do decide to do this, be sure to video tape it.  I'm sure everyone here would love to see what happens. [:D]

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url]
[b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAF Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 12:01:06 AM EDT
[#3]
What do you think would be a safe distance?  100 yards?  

Do you think shooting it with a FMJ first to release the propane and then follow up with a Tracer on a fast second shot...or just shoot the tank with a tracer first.

Man...I must be bored..I really can't belive I am thinking about doing this...oh well

medcop
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 12:03:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 12:08:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree...I also think it is crazy!  

I think I would have to say:

"Hey watch this."

before I actually did it..isn't that what you have to say before you do something really stupid.

I think maybe I will try the small coleman size propane tanks first like brouhaha mentioned.

medcop
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 12:48:37 AM EDT
[#6]
If it is a 20lb tank I wouldn't do it at anything less than 200 yards for sure.

Benjamin

What is that thing a poor mans claymoore???
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 1:24:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I think I would have to say:
"Hey watch this."
before I actually did it..isn't that what you have to say before you do something really stupid.
View Quote

Noooooooo! Medcop, actually it's (in it's original redneck form is)
Hold my Beer, and watch this!

I 'Honestly' think from 100 yards you would be MORE than safe, actually I think you might be disapointed! I remember someone on this board shooting Gas grill sized propane tanks with a ROAD FLARE burning next to them with little ill effects.

But DON'T sue me if it happens to go wrong! [;)]

and lemme know if you decide to do it, I'm a JEDI MASTER with a Video Cam! hehehe

Edited to add:
If you don't want too do it, wait till the next MO shoot, I'll be HAPPY to do it, IF you hold the camera! [:)]
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 8:00:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 8:06:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Can someone tell me what they use for the night displays at Knob Creek.  Those are some pretty impressive fireballs.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 8:13:48 AM EDT
[#10]
I've shot the little tanks with military tracer.  Just a short fireball and a little noise.  Nothing to be too concerned about.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 8:27:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Hit an Oxygen tank (full) out at about 100 meters with a FMJ. Got a nice explosion and fire ball, bigger than the video posted above. Have it on video, any idea on how to transfer it to the computer? Something I have to figure out!
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 8:58:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Ask Anti about the .50's with API rounds.  
He did it with the small bottles.
That was fun to watch.
c-rock
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 2:43:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I shot one of those small colemans with my ar tracer and it damn near came back at me.  But I rested it in the nook of a tree.  Lay it on its bottom.

Keving67
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 2:51:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I always wanted to take a junk car, and a coiple of cans of starting fluid, puncture the cans..throw them inside the car with the windows up, and back up 100yds. then bust it with a tracer round.  propane...bullshit try either. ( i once shot a r500 tank that sat in the Fl. sun for an hour...went off like a rocket!)
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 2:53:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Best one I have seen was a grill size tank, wrapped in det cord.  When that baby was shot it really went bang; cut it in half.  At 80 yards it was VERY loud but no chunks came even close to us!

Worst mistake was putting the binary thingies in a car door.  Nearly wore the door skin!!

For spectacular, consider the guy who blows up hot water tanks.  Fills half with water and PLUGS all holes.  Direct feed gas to burner (no safeties) and waits.  Need to be 500 yards away from those, I understand!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 3:02:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 3:06:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 3:13:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 3:22:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've shot the little tanks with military tracer.  Just a short fireball and a little noise.  Nothing to be too concerned about.
View Quote

Ha!  You've got to be joking.  Everytime a canister is shot on the A-Team, theres a huge Hiroshima-like mushroom cloud of fire.  I would recommend getting back at least a mile.

[(:|)]
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 6:58:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I tried a small propane torch tank with .308 ball and it only hissed at me, hmmmmmm.  Next time I took a BBQ tank and attached one of those exploding targets to it and went at it again with the .308, worked great. Next time out I'm going to stick about 10 of those exploding targets front to back, should make big boom!
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 12:40:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I can't believe nobody has asked what kind of job would involve this kind of play.  LOL

Medcop, e-mail ColtShorty, mention my name, as he has done some stuff like this and could provide insight and safety tips.  His overall analysis seems to be that it is not near as "fun" as one would expect.  IOW, not worth the cost of the tank.  
View Quote

The cost does not worry me because I get them for free...sometimes they have anhydrous ammonia in them..and sometimes they still have propane...a little crack of the valve tells you what is inside.  They do have to be destroyed and putting a bullet hole in them is the best way!

Link Posted: 1/17/2002 4:26:21 AM EDT
[#22]
see ya!
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 5:57:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Medcop,

I'm sure 100yards would be plenty of "safe" distance. However, any tracer that I have ever fired has not "lit" really good until it reached about 125 - 150 yards and doesn't seem to get a good burn until near 200. Now I don't know if the stuff was just weak or what but I've shot about 200 rounds of it and it all performed about the same.

Unless the tank was under severe pressure of being filled to dangerous levels, IMHO I don't think you will get much "fireworks" from propane. Propane takes a hot spark to get it to ignite and get a good burn.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 6:23:11 AM EDT
[#24]
I hunt outside of Columbia in a little town called Millersburg (in your neck of the woods). Weve got a bunch of oxygen tanks that are full that weve been talking about shooting. There are alot of coal diggings on our land that would be perfect because you could hide behind the mounds. Let me know and maybe we can get together and try it out some weekend. There is also a big lake back there that would be pretty cool to float the tanks in and then blow them up. Ive got the video camera...

Ranger Out
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 6:10:24 PM EDT
[#25]
To both the Mid Mo posters here, I live in the area and have been pretty curious as to shooting those propane tanks as well. Hell those oxygen tanks sound fun as wel, maybe we could make a day of it. Sounds like a fun!
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 7:08:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The cost does not worry me because I get them for free...sometimes they have anhydrous ammonia in them..and sometimes they still have propane
View Quote

You a cook?
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 7:17:43 PM EDT
[#27]
I will guess your shooting Methamphetamine labs.I hope you got your hazardous-material protective gear on.
  The by-products generated during and after manufacture are also hazards to near by people and surrounding property.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 7:28:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Ever tried an acetylene tank?  I imagine that would be quite spectacular....

A friend of mine (when he was young and stupid) took a garbage bag and filled it with acetylene from a tank.  He took it to a garbage dump and stuck it between two dumpsters, suspended off the ground.  He lit a rag and put it under the bag, then ran like hell.  When the bag went off, there was an amazingly loud bang, and one of the dumpsters was blown clear across the road, and the other was blown back against the trees.  He looked at one and said it looked like Paul Bunyan hit it with a sledgehammer.  He then got the hell out of there before the cops showed up.  [:D]
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 7:40:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Whats the last thing a Redneck says before he dies?

Watch this!

If you ever work at a new car dealership, that just happens to have a oxy/acetylene torch you may be in luck!!  Go to the showroom fill at least 10-15 balloons with helium and tie strings on the balloons as thought they are to get put on a car.  Go back to the shop with an empty balloon and fill it 1/2 with oxygen and 1.2 with acetylene. Tie oxy/acetylene ballon to the batch of 10-15 helium ballons. Finally get 5-10 feet of toilet paper and tape it to the oxy/acetylene ballon after rolling it up into a wick. Light, release, run like hell for the showroom and hope the wind carries it over the Infinity lot next door and sets off all of thier alarms!! hahahahha

[beer]

We only did it once after realizing any sort of friction spark while filling oxy/acetylene ballon would have ruined our day to say the least!

DO NO TRY THIS AT HOME! (but maybe ot work[;)])
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 7:48:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 8:23:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Dude.....you had to "plant the seed" didn't you!

I know what I'll be doing this weekend.....

Last time somebody planted the "seed" it involved a live 30mm TP round and a Ruger 10/22.

It was not pretty!

Link Posted: 1/17/2002 9:48:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Pure acetylene is a colourless gas with a pleasant odour; as prepared from calcium carbide it usually contains traces of phosphine that cause an unpleasant garliclike odour. Acetylene can be decomposed to its elements with the liberation of heat. The decomposition may or may not give rise to explosions, depending on conditions. Pure acetylene under pressure in excess of about 15 pounds per square inch or in liquid or solid form [b]eexplodes with extreme violence[/b].

[b]Mixtures of air and acetylene are explosive over a wide range, from about 2.5 percent air in acetylene to about 12.5 percent acetylene in air.[/b] When burned with the correct amount of air,
acetylene gives a pure, white light, and for this reason it was at one time used for illumination in locations where electric power was not available, e.g., buoys, miners' lamps, and road signals.
The combustion of acetylene produces a large amount of heat, and, in a properly designed torch, the oxyacetylene flame attains the highest flame temperature (about 6,000° F, or 3,300° C) of
any known mixture of combustible gases.

If you use acetylene, be VERY careful.  I used to work at an acetylene production facility.  The Feds required us to estimate the distance that persons could be killed in the event of a KFB; it was appx. 1/4 of a mile!  Of course, that was in case the generator full of carbide went up and then ignited the cylinders filling on the lines; but you get the idea.  It's real nasty stuff.  

Link Posted: 1/17/2002 9:51:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Being a Texan, this reminds me of the famous last words of my Redneck uncle...."Hey, you guys...watch this shit!!!"
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 10:17:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Tape 2 road flares (for a big can) ~5" apart and light.  Retreat >150 yds. and shoot.  Very impressive.  Not a true "explosion" usually, but a very impressive and very fast burn.  The small cans are more likely to fly when you hit 'em, in my experience.  Using tracer alone results in a lot of hissing cans.  FWIW, the big cans don't really need 2 flares to light, but it provides some insurance against a wild (and embarrasing) shot.

Have fun!
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 10:31:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Medcop, Seamuscoi, & all you other mid- Missouri folks: On an aside note, I noctice there are NO REGISTRATIONS yet from Missouri for the BRC. I stopped by Anti's shop tuesday to pay my registration fee & got to see some of the goodies for the raffle. The twisted brains of Grin & Anti are working hard on getting some really cool stuff(can you say minigun?) for the shoot, You Show-me folks need to step up! This will be one you won't want to miss! (Especially considering your proximity.)

Hope to see you all there!

Blaster out.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 10:43:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I've never done this.  However, if you do decide to do this, be sure to video tape it.  I'm sure everyone here would love to see what happens. [:D]

USPC40
View Quote

I agree, that's the spirit!!
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 12:23:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I will guess your shooting Methamphetamine labs.I hope you got your hazardous-material protective gear on.
  The by-products generated during and after manufacture are also hazards to near by people and surrounding property.
View Quote

WE HAVE A WINNER!...actually we only shoot the propane style tanks (with slug or FMJ)  The actual lab waste is taken to a DNR/EPA "dump station" were it is disposed of properly.  We shoot the tanks to keep them from being used again by some meth cook.  We always check the tanks with a Drager Test Kit to determine what they contain. We only shoot them if they contain propane or anhydrous ammonia...if we can't determine what is in the tank it also goes to the dump station (that is if it is stable to move)    Also, we do have the full line of Haz-Mat equipment...SCBA, Tyvek, and so on.

OH...the convention...I am going to attend..just have not registered yet...but I WILL!  Already taken off work!

medcop
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top