Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2005 2:35:55 PM EDT
With the NHL lockout and the possibility of an NBA lockout, www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=125&t=353169

How many of you think that greed and disagreement is what is going to kill professional sports?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:36:23 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
With the NHL lockout and the possibility of an NBA lockout, www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=125&t=353169

How many of you think that greed and disagreement is what is going to kill professional sports?

We can only hope.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:43:12 PM EDT
[#2]
The other problem is with the players. They use drugs, start fights, and commit crimes off the court/field.  

I personally could care less if all the professional sports all went down the toilet.  

Come summer, I'm going to go take in a game of the local minor league baseball team, the Windy City Thunderbolts.  It is a heck of a lot more fun than going to see MLB anyways.  Not only because it costs less, the players are regular folks like you and me.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:45:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We can only hope.

+1

'cept fer football.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:46:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:47:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We can only hope.

+1

'cept fer football.

Ehhh, the morons over there are probably gonna get in a fight with Tagliabue (or whatever his name is) over SOMETHING.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:47:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Don't think of it as "killing"

Think of it as the natural cycle of business.

Kinda like Reagan and the Air Traffic Controllers?

Do want to work? THese guys do, we'll hire them for less money, and you can go stand in teh unemployment line.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ain't going to happen.  They will come to their senses, and it will be like nothing happened.  Looked at football and baseball from several years ago.

Yeah, but they all will go down the toilet sometime.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:50:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't think of it as "killing"

Think of it as the natural cycle of business.

Kinda like Reagan and the Air Traffic Controllers?

Do want to work? THese guys do, we'll hire them for less money, and you can go stand in teh unemployment line.

Let me get this straight:
Basketball and hockey will just go on hiatus until they can find some "scabs" that can work for less?

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:51:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:51:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Professional sports don't seem to be about anything but greed anymore.

What is worse are the parents who allow their kids to ignore education based on the misguided hope that their child's mediocre athletic ability will be worth something after high school.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:53:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Professional sports don't seem to be about anything but greed anymore.

What is worse are the parents who allow their kids to ignore education based on the misguided hope that their child's mediocre athletic ability will be worth something after high school.

Good point!

They can barely read or write, or use language in an intellegent manner, but they'll just keep thinking that they can get through life thinking they'll hit the NBA.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:56:00 PM EDT
[#12]
No money for pro sports from me.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:56:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Let me get this straight:
Basketball and hockey will just go on hiatus until they can find some "scabs" that can work for less?

If the free market was allowed to control, YES.

But with the presence of unions, its unliekly.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:59:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
No money for pro sports from me.

About the only pro sports team that I follow is the Atlanta Falcons considering they recruit most of the Virginia Tech football players.  After that, all I watch is golf and nascar.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:01:16 PM EDT
[#15]
The issue also is these players that make millions of dollars can't even put on a good show.  

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:09:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:14:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Who knows if greed will kill pro sports.

But those fuckers are paid WAY too much.

They need to get back to their roots.

I'm 48, and play baseball in the MSBL - cost me $300.00 this year to play about 25 games.

All major league ball players need to play in local leagues for a while, and realize what the sport is really about.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:22:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

It already has as far as  I'm concerned. The greed and blatant cheating (steroids)plus the 'thug' mentality that many of the players exhibit has serverd to assure that I will no longer watch any pro sporting events. (Hell it's already been years) And I don't even miss it!!!........
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:38:10 PM EDT
[#19]

The only sport I know of that seems to avoid these problems is Major League Soccer.
A very humble salary cap is in place, and all player contracts are owned by the league, not the teams. There have been very very few incidents of criminal allegations in the 10 yr history of MLS.
One coach was fined for mooning an opposing team fan after 90 mins of heckling and abuse a couple years ago.He was fined by the league. ( Ray Hudson, former coach of Miami Fusion and DC United)
The players in MLS make a practice of being very accessible before and after matches for autographs etc., and DC United players frequently attend our supporter club parties and tailgates.
There is very little of the high school football hero/superjock/above the law attitudes so prevelant in other sports.
DaddyDett

La Barra Brava
Vamos United!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top