Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 8:01:44 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/16/2009 8:02:02 AM EST by Bunn19]
I bought a house which was a forclosure back in January. When I purchased the house, it had sat vacant for quite a while and had been vandalized (broken out windows, spray paint on the interior walls.) The home is in a pretty decent neighborhood, but does have a few families here or there that I would rather not associate with. My plan is to move into the house once I get it finished. I've been working over there about every night afterwork, and most weekends.

I've been completely remodeling the house for the past 6th months, and haven't had any trouble with any type of vandalism. I recently planted a good sized garden out back, and had bamboo poles set up for string beans to climb. Luckily they haven't grown quite high enough to take hold of the poles.

There have been some neighborhood kids I've seen walking around now that school is out, looking like they are out to no good (throwing fireworks in an elderly neighbors yard, wondering around throwing rocks, etc). I come out to the house last night and find that they've completely torn down the bamboo bean poles, and broken them into pieces. They've thrown mud balls all over the side of the house, and taken my garden tools I had stashed in the carport and thrown them all over the back yard. They also pulled out my tiller, turned it over and threw the gas cap for the tiller in on top of a burn pile I had out back. (This actually happened about a week ago.)

I've called the local sheriffs department and haven't really gotten a response (they said they'd send an officer out but he never showed up last night). I'm going to call again today and try to talk to an individual officer about patrolling the area more during the day. My neighbor (who is an elderly man) said that he'd called the cops on the kids last summer when the house was sitting vacant and the cops came and picked them up.

Hopefully the police will be helpful, but I'm not very impressed so far. I am going to get a trailcam today and hide it on the property somewhere and try to get some pictures of these little bastards. Besides this, does anyone have any suggestions to what I might do? I've debated marching over to their parents house and telling them what I think, but again I don't know for certain its their kids, and the parents seem pretty sorry from what I've seen thus far.

They're kids, so no I can't just shoot them or beat the hell out of them (even though sometimes I wish I could).

Has anyone dealt with anything like this before? What's the best way to stop a bunch of 12 year old punks? I'm worried about them breaking in and stealing some stuff that I have inside the house.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:03:41 AM EST
Cough* Claymore Cough* . You know what you have to do. Look into the paint filled variety.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:07:28 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/16/2009 8:09:55 AM EST by Thatdude333]
exterior & interior lights.

back in the day when we'd run around in the dark to cause mischief lights and lighted areas were the enemy, though I think the worst thing we ever did was throw a few eggs and toilet paper a house.

ETA: Get some fake / old security cameras and set them up, kids will just go look for someplace easier to mess with.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:09:34 AM EST
I think these kids are doing this during the day, while their parents are at work and I'm at work.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:10:46 AM EST
Set up game cameras in you back yard. If it catches them on film print them out and go talk to the parents. If they do not pay for the damages take the photos to the police and try to get them charged with something.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:11:22 AM EST

If that doesn't work, hide in the bushes in a ghillie suit armed with a can of OC.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:14:09 AM EST
GET OFF OF MY LAWN!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:14:11 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/16/2009 8:16:23 AM EST by kcr121]

GET OFF MY LAWN

ETA: Nightstalker beat me by 2 seconds!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:15:22 AM EST
Electric fence is nice.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:16:40 AM EST
Originally Posted By kcr121:
http://louschuler.com/img/userPics/1231596930_12671.jpg

GET OFF MY LAWN

Beat you by 2 seconds but you win cos you got the pic.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:18:24 AM EST
Originally Posted By Chromekilla:
Cough* Claymore Cough* . You know what you have to do. Look into the paint filled variety.

I like that idea.

This one makes a loud BANG, too.

Fill it with some permanent paint and you'll make a mess on one of them that is hard to get off.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:18:31 AM EST
Get your M1 Garand and tell them to " GET OF MY LAWN! "
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:21:57 AM EST
I just happened to purchase a Garand as well as watch the Movie Gran Torino. Yes this did cross my mind, but I would probably go to jail if the kids told their parents that I pulled a gun on them.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:24:45 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/16/2009 8:25:57 AM EST by OklahomaSam]
Both of these have been mentioned already and I agree with:

Motion activated lights - moderately inexpensive, fairly easy to install, and don't need to be removed when the house is finished.

Game cameras as suggested earlier, but enough for coverage of all avenues of approach.

Obviously niether will result injury, which may be beneficial if you go after them for damages.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:28:00 AM EST
Originally Posted By TheWigs:
Set up game cameras in you back yard. If it catches them on film print them out and go talk to the parents. If they do not pay for the damages take the photos to the police and try to get them charged with something.

This
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:30:49 AM EST
Take a day off from work, park somewhere out of sight and do some work inside the house. When the bastards come over, run out screaming and yelling "I'M GONNA KICK YOUR FUCKING ASS!!!". That will scare the living shit out of them. They won't come back because 1) your crazy and 2) by you parking out of sight and catching them off guard, they won't know when your there and when your not.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:31:55 AM EST
I used to know an old timer that owned a snowmobile shop.
He had trouble with people jumping his fence and stealing shit. He said he had a motion sensor wired up to a big red rotating beacon (Think Michigan State Patrol size) on the roof of the building. His problems stopped quick. Flashing red lights are hard to ignore.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:35:27 AM EST
Video surveillence. You might want it when you finish the house anyway. 4 camera system, all sides for less than 1k.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:37:02 AM EST
Originally Posted By Gabriel11808:
Take a day off from work, park somewhere out of sight and do some work inside the house. When the bastards come over, run out screaming and yelling "I'M GONNA KICK YOUR FUCKING ASS!!!". That will scare the living shit out of them. They won't come back because 1) your crazy and 2) by you parking out of sight and catching them off guard, they won't know when your there and when your not.

Good Luck

No, he should run out, screaming. "I'm insane with anger!"

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:43:27 AM EST
Night vision + pellet rifle = no more punk-ass kids.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:44:14 AM EST

Originally Posted By tep0583:
Originally Posted By Gabriel11808:

Good Luck

No, he should run out, screaming. "I'm insane with anger!"

Hehe I saw that movie in Cancun last week
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:45:38 AM EST
Originally Posted By bafordman:
Video surveillence. You might want it when you finish the house anyway. 4 camera system, all sides for less than 1k.

Yup, I have my house covered 360 degress.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:46:32 AM EST
personally i would start growing Hbenaros in the garden.. And for good measure maybe spill some of this on the poles next time..

http://www.hotternell.com/pure_capsaicin_powder.htm
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:49:41 AM EST
Can't believe I am the first to post this:

SSS
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:50:19 AM EST
Winter of '06, we had a few knuckle heads drive around and tackle everybody's snowman in their yards. It was kind of funny but the problem is some of the yards they didn't just run across the lawn. They used the truck with big ass tires to knock it over, the ground wasn't frozen solid so it left tire tracks in the yard. This pissed me off, the very next night after my kids got finished rebuilding the snowman I was laying in bed w/just a pair of shorts on and noticed headlights coming toward my bedroom window...sure as shit the truck was in my yard again. This time I waited for them to go up the road a little and I got in the car and followed them. About 3 blocks up they pulled in a drive way to let me pass but I pulled in behind them, went up to the drivers window and said, "Good evening, motherfuckers". It ended up being three 16 yr old turds. I told them to sit quietly while I called the police and if any of them got out I would smash their face against the truck. They didn't say shit. Scared as all hell. It was fun, made 3 16 yr old's piss their pants and got to call the police. Well, I know they were just kids so I didn't press charges but I did have to call the police so they would have it on record just in case they damaged some other persons yard.
Top Top