Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2006 4:27:31 PM EDT
(Copied from AT Tech support forum, because that place is really slow)

My new computer is not recognizing its onboard ethernet connection

It says it has 2 IEEE 1394 network connections, but despite having used the same network cable as is in this one (plugged to the same spot on the router), it won't add a LAN connection.

The lights go on in the ethernet port in the motherboard, but the computer refuses to recognize the connection.

Edit: I've tried installing the drivers from the Gigabyte website (transferred via thumbdrive), but it says "there is not enough space on drive C:\ to extract this package. Please free up 53.93MB and click Retry." The drivers from another source (apparently the same file) say the same.

I have approximately 272 GB free, so unless this file is absolutely massive (and yet somehow fits in a package of 35 MB), it's not working.

In all other manners, the computer is working perfectly, all other peripherals and cards are working, etc., but I can't get the ethernet to work.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:28:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump. This is a pretty big issue, any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:33:39 PM EDT
[#2]
could have come broken from the factory...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:37:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Is the LAN connection enabled in BIOS?

Try a cheapie LAN card in one of the PCI slots to see if you can get connectivity.

It's possible that the on-board LAN is busted.  I've seen it before.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:44:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:07:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Is the LAN connection enabled in BIOS?

Try a cheapie LAN card in one of the PCI slots to see if you can get connectivity.

It's possible that the on-board LAN is busted.  I've seen it before.

It's enabled. I might try getting another LAN card to install, but before that I want to exhaust all options.

The port tower that the LAN is on has 2 USB, 1 LAN, and the 2 USB ports work fine. My mouse is in one of the ports now, and responding perfectly.

Quoted:
IIRC IEE1394 is firewire.
Did you get a driver disk for the mother board?

Yeah, 1394 is firewire.

I did get a driver disk for the mobo, and I installed all drivers on it except those for the onboard audio and the AMD 'cool and quiet' operation, both of which are unnecessary.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:39:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Bumpty Dumpty sat on a wall...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:17:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Does the Network Adapter appear in Windows Device Manager?

Both the 1394 controller and the Ethernet controller should be together under "Network Adapter".
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:24:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The port tower that the LAN is on has 2 USB, 1 LAN, and the 2 USB ports work fine. My mouse is in one of the ports now, and responding perfectly.

I did get a driver disk for the mobo, and I installed all drivers on it except those for the onboard audio and the AMD 'cool and quiet' operation, both of which are unnecessary.

ASUS A8N32 SLI Deluxe?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:25:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
(Copied from AT Tech support forum, because that place is really slow)

My new computer is not recognizing its onboard ethernet connection

It says it has 2 IEEE 1394 network connections, but despite having used the same network cable as is in this one (plugged to the same spot on the router), it won't add a LAN connection.

The lights go on in the ethernet port in the motherboard, but the computer refuses to recognize the connection.

Edit: I've tried installing the drivers from the Gigabyte website (transferred via thumbdrive), but it says "there is not enough space on drive C:\ to extract this package. Please free up 53.93MB and click Retry." The drivers from another source (apparently the same file) say the same.

I have approximately 272 GB free, so unless this file is absolutely massive (and yet somehow fits in a package of 35 MB), it's not working.

In all other manners, the computer is working perfectly, all other peripherals and cards are working, etc., but I can't get the ethernet to work.

Umm, just a question but is your hard drive actually labeled as the C:\ drive.  On my laptop my c:\ drive is actually a card reader and I get this error when I forget to change the path to the F:\ drive.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:09:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Does the Network Adapter appear in Windows Device Manager?

Both the 1394 controller and the Ethernet controller should be together under "Network Adapter".

No, just 2 1394 controllers.

Quoted:
ASUS A8N32 SLI Deluxe?

No, Gigabyte GA-K8N pro-SLI.

Quoted:
Umm, just a question but is your hard drive actually labeled as the C:\ drive.  On my laptop my c:\ drive is actually a card reader and I get this error when I forget to change the path to the F:\ drive.

Yes, my HDD is the C:\ drive.

On ATTS, it was suggested that I run Memtest-86, so I'm running that, and that will take a while, it seems. I doubt it'll turn up problems, but I guess no harm in running it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:25:51 AM EDT
[#11]
The network card will appear in the control panal system under network controlers. The 1394 will be in a seprate location.
Make sure it  is enabled in all profiles.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:34:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I had the same problem, the NIC was detected when I changed the "PnP aware OS" option in the BIOS.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:38:53 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The network card will appear in the control panal system under network controlers. The 1394 will be in a seprate location.
Make sure it  is enabled in all profiles.

It doesn't appear there, you can be sure of that. Only the two 1394 cards do.

Quoted:
I had the same problem, the NIC was detected when I changed the "PnP aware OS" option in the BIOS.

Okay, I'll try that, if you can explain how. I know many of the BIOS options, but I don't know where that one is or what its options are.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:05:01 AM EDT
[#14]
You did clear the CMOS when you first got it didn't you? I've used that to clear up lots of problems on builds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top