Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2006 8:18:12 AM EDT
I have to allow the gas to trickle very slowly into the tank while filling to prevent the nozzle from kicking off.  I just purchased the car and the tank was completely empty(yeah, dealer should have topped it off and did not). I tried two different pumps and both did the same thing.  When I stopped filling the tank I could hear the gas gurgling like there was an air bubble trapped in the tank.  Obviously this car is fuel injection and is a pressurized system so I do not believe there a vent off the tank. I assume that it has a line going to a charcoal cannister and am wondering if it vents through that and maybe there is a problem with the solenoid hooked to that system?
any help will be much appreciated..
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 9:12:10 AM EDT
[#1]
There was the same problem with the early 2005 Mustang GT's.

The temporary fix was to turn the gas nosle to the 4'o-clock or 8'o-clock or generally tilt it to get it to fill the tank.

May work for you .....
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 10:33:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Difficult to fill
Fill limiter vent valve stuck closed
Evaporative emission (EVAP) canister restricted
EVAP vent valve stuck closed
Restricted vapor lines
High reid vapor pressure or high fuel temperature
Fuel filler hose is pinched or kinked
Ignition switch ON, and the vent valve is closed

from the GM service bulletin
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 2:45:26 PM EDT
[#3]
..or maybe a five ft long 1/2" dia plastic siphon hose jammed down the filler neck. I screwed a long lag bolt down into it and pulled it out (it was stuck pretty good).  thanks for the help anyways guys....
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 8:08:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Dude, that plastic hose is supposed to be in there... it vents the tank as you're pumping it so that you don't end up pressurizing the fuel and shooting it back out of the filler neck...
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 3:48:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Dude, that plastic hose is supposed to be in there... it vents the tank as you're pumping it so that you don't end up pressurizing the fuel and shooting it back out of the filler neck...

uh....ok
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 5:10:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Filler check valve.  I have removed these on other cars when they go bad.  It looks like a "doggy door" and prevents backflow of fuel out of the filler neck.

Unfortunately, you probably have to drop the tank to get to it.  But a stiff length of hose can trip it from the filler neck.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 8:29:38 AM EDT
[#7]
on my '69 stang (gas door/opening is in the very back) and i have to turn the nozzle to the 7 o'clock position to keep gas from over flowing out of the tank...it's a PITA
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 9:30:05 AM EDT
[#8]
On some goverment POVs (TMPs), I have a helluva time filling them up on the on post fuel depot. Sometime I have to pull the nozzle out oh so slowly till it works or I have to turn the nozzle like it was describe earlier in the thread.

Non of that does anygood when the depot is out of gas, thanks for the out of gas sign US Army
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 3:07:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Non of that does anygood when the depot is out of gas, thanks for the out of gas sign US Army

hate when that happens
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 9:57:51 AM EDT
[#10]
My 2000 Dually had the same problem. It drove me NUTS.

Imagine driving cross-country, towing a racecar trailer and getting 4-6mpg.

I had to stop and fill the tank every few exits. Each gas stop was a good 15-20 minutes... waiting for the gas to trickle into the tank.

When I finally got home from the trip I took care of the problem.

I removed the filler neck to expose the entrance to the gas tank...   I saw a white plastic ball about the size of a ping-pong ball held in place by a few little plastic fingers. It was far enough inside the tank that removing it wasn't an option.

Instead, I took a broomstick handle and jammed it in the opening...  pushing the ball into the tank. I then took the filler neck over to a bench vise and cut out the nozzle restrictor/flapper assy...

I can now fill the tank in record time...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top