Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2008 2:45:42 PM EDT
So the root level system folder called System Volume Information contains data relating to the System Restore utility. For some reason, when I try to copy this drive to another it stalls every time when it gets here. I've tried turning off System Restore and deleting all past restore points in an attempt to empty this folder but nothing. Stalls here every time.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 2:47:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 2:49:49 PM EDT
Thats a folder you can't touch. Theres nothing wrong with your system.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 2:51:25 PM EDT
Source drive is a WD SATA2 Caviar Blue 80GB and the destination drive is a WD USB 80GB.

The source drive is my current boot source and seems to run fine.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 2:51:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Foxxz:

-Foxxz

Even as the sys admin? If so, then how can I clone the drive?
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 2:56:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/13/2008 2:56:48 PM EDT by cruze5]
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 3:03:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cruze5:
download these diagnostics and run them on the drive thats saying this support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=606&lang=en

Thanks. Running Extended Test now.

Using my laptop in the meantime.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 3:12:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By chuckhammer:

-Foxxz

Step one is to not try to clone the drive you're currently booted from.
Step two is to see Step one.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 3:15:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Amish_Bill:

-Foxxz

Link Posted: 7/13/2008 3:19:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/13/2008 3:21:37 PM EDT by chuckhammer]

Originally Posted By Amish_Bill:

-Foxxz

I did this successfully many times on my old XP Home machine and a now handful of times on this new box I built running XP Pro.

Western Digital has a utility to do this.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 3:27:01 PM EDT
You need to clone the drive offline. That is a protected system folder that you can not access even as the admin. Boot up norton ghost or something else offline and ghost the drive.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 3:32:39 PM EDT
or just ignore the folder. Yes, you can't clone the drive you're booted from.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 3:32:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/13/2008 3:34:05 PM EDT by chuckhammer]
I don't understand why I've never run into this before, then.

Fuck me, I HATE Symantec products. Is there another way?

The drive is a SATA unit and I have no other machine I can connect it to. Also no other bootable source for that box. Only a laptop.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 3:36:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RyJones:
or just ignore the folder. Yes, you can't clone the drive you're booted from.

How do I ignore it?

Let's go back to the beginning here. I want an exact carbon copy of my primary internal HDD that I can swap into the same port as the existing drive if it fails and then boot from it. What is the best way to do this?

Link Posted: 7/13/2008 3:38:24 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 3:42:13 PM EDT
buy one of those little USB -> SATA thingies. I have like a half-dozen of them. Plug your source and target drives into your laptop and run the cloning software there.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 3:43:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/13/2008 4:01:00 PM EDT by cruze5]
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 3:43:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/13/2008 3:44:12 PM EDT by cruze5]
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 4:57:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cruze5:

Originally Posted By RyJones:
buy one of those little USB -> SATA thingies. I have like a half-dozen of them. Plug your source and target drives into your laptop and run the cloning software there.

he's tried that

OK; how about this? boot knoppix off a cdrom and disk image using dd
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 7:49:19 PM EDT
You've probably never run into this problem before because normally its a hidden folder. Have you ever seen it before?

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 7:56:17 PM EDT

You've probably never run into this problem before because normally its a hidden folder. Have you ever seen it before?

-Foxxz

I've switched between showing and hiding protected system files and folders so I may or may not have physically laid eyes on it before. If I switch back to hide would it prevent the freeze at this location during drive copy?

I'm currently trying to burn a bootable ISO image to a CD with a utility to let me copy drives while staying out of the OS. It's called the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows.

www.ubcd4win.com/index.htm
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 8:09:47 AM EDT
iirc that is the ghey windows system restore storage folder. an easy way to clean it out and avoid the problems you're having is to disable the system restore function under "My computer" --> Properties.

let us know how it goes.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 8:14:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 8:54:09 AM EDT

-Foxxz

I've switched between showing and hiding protected system files and folders so I may or may not have physically laid eyes on it before. If I switch back to hide would it prevent the freeze at this location during drive copy?

I'm currently trying to burn a bootable ISO image to a CD with a utility to let me copy drives while staying out of the OS. It's called the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows.

www.ubcd4win.com/index.htm

Make sure you don't have some file manager thingy open and accessing the drive you are trying to clone.

I always use ghost32 to clone when I boot to UBCD4WIN. I don't like the cone apps that are on the CD.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 9:12:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Gloftoe:

He did that. Even says so in the first post.

how did i miss that?

I vote for using the same utility you have been trying but waiting longer when it "freezes."
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:55:34 PM EDT
The ACL on System Volume Information limits access to the SYSTEM account exclusively. If you're running a backup tool it can enable a privilege (SeBackup) which allows the process to bypass the permissions and read files in System Volume Information. Generally you can't do this by hand.

If you're trying to dupe your hard drive so you can clone your machine or recover your OS from a crash, copying files isn't the way to do it. You need to image the disk. It's possible to do this while the system is running if the software you're using uses the Volume Shadow Copy service.

If you're just trying to back up files on your machine, ignore that folder.
Top Top