Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2004 10:32:48 AM EDT

Problem Solved....    Thank's for the Input....

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:33:39 AM EDT
[#1]
one of what?

Nope I don't got one. Don't see a need for it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:36:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Maybe a good idea ala Winchester M70, however, taking my gun off safe while unloading makes me just a little more alert and careful.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:42:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Hmmm, I can operate the bolt on my 700 with the safety on.... maybe it's only for certain years? Mine is six years old.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:49:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Hmmm, I can operate the bolt on my 700 with the safety on....

That's the way I read the description.....  Whadda ya think ???  

I just may pick one up and try it out.....
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:52:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Seems like a solution to a non-existant problem.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:54:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hmmm, I can operate the bolt on my 700 with the safety on.... maybe it's only for certain years? Mine is six years old.

Once upon a time, 700's had to be off-safe before the bolt would open. You can easily modify these old 700's to get around that. the 'lock' is a very simple protrusion into the bolt, basically.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 11:00:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Got my 700 BDL in 1987...Not a issue...
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 11:02:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought one from Gun Parts Corp ended up not needing it.  I'll sell you mine for $15 shipped.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 11:03:34 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1

If a person cannot safely unload his firearm, what makes you think he can safely fire it?
CH
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 11:04:46 AM EDT
[#10]
My Ruger M77MKII has this feature built into it, and it makes removing the safety to shoot VERY NOISY.

I wish it didn't have it, IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 11:12:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I can't think of when I ever put my rifle on "safe".  I just lift the bolt handle.  For unloading I just drop the floor plate and yank out the round out of the chamber.  Do people really cycle all their rounds out?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 11:13:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I can't think of when I ever put my rifle on "safe".  I just lift the bolt handle.  For unloading I just drop the floor plate and yank out the round out of the chamber.  Do people really cycle all their rounds out?

On an ADL you have no choice but to.  Unless you remove the stock.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 11:20:59 AM EDT
[#13]
I thought all the Remingtons with bolt locking safeties were recalled to be upgraded to the unlocked bolt safety.

I know Remington suffered a slew of law suits as a result of them.

The original theory behing the bolt locking safety was to prevent the bolt handle from accidentally being lifted while the rifle was being carried.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 11:37:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Bought my 700BDL new in '84. Still has the locking bolt. No problem.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#15]
www.remington.com/Safety_Modification_Program/remington_safety.htm

Safety Modification Program

Remington is extending through December 31, 2004, its safety modification program to remove the bolt-lock mechanism from certain Remington bolt-action centerfire firearms made prior to March, 1982. (Post-1982 bolt-action firearms were not manufactured with bolt-lock mechanisms). To determine whether your firearm has a bolt-lock mechanism and is subject to the safety modification program, “click” on the model listed below and follow the directions included.

The unloading process for most bolt-action firearms with a bolt-lock mechanism cannot begin unless the manual safety is placed in the ‘F” or “Off or Fire” position. If you participate in the program your firearm will be modified to eliminate the bolt-lock feature and you will be able to unload your firearm while the safety is kept in the “S” or “ On Safe” position. The operation of your firearm will not otherwise be affected.

Here are the basic program elements:

The firearms will be cleaned and inspected and the bolt lock mechanism will be removed for $20.00 plus shipping and handling.
We will return the gun to you with a $20.00 rebate coupon good towards the purchase of any Remington brand safety product (eye protection, hearing protection, cable and trigger locks, gun cabinets and gun safes.)
Please click on the centerfire model listed below to obtain more information on the program for the specific model, as there are some differences in the program based on model type:

Model 700
Model 600
Model 660
Model 721
Model 722
Model XP-100
Model 40-X

The following bolt-action centerfire firearms are not subject to the Safety Modification Program. Please click on the model for more information on the firearm.

Model 700ML
Sportsman 78
Model 788
Model 725
Model Seven
Model 710
Model 30, 30 Express

If you have a bolt-action rifle with a bolt-lock mechanism, and you do not wish to have the lock removed, you must be sure to follow this IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTICE: Be sure the rifle is pointing in a safe direction anytime you move the manual safety to the "F" or "Off or Fire" position. As soon as you have lifted the bolt, immediately put the manual safety back in the "S" or "On Safe" position and then continue the unloading process.

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:07:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Only one of mine - the .270 - is the old style where the saftey has to be off to open the bolt. Since  all 5 of mine have the hinged floorplate it's not much of an issue anyway.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:28:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

SO do but its not needed. You can cycle the bolt just far enough to get the ctg out of the mag box, pull the bolt back,  with the muzzle skyward and the live round will fall right out into your hand. The only reason people cycle their rifles completely is because they are rushing which has no safe place in the handling of firearms.

I have built a handful of muasers and only one has a hinged floorplate. Most I unload as mentioned. The difference being that a mauser is CF and hte extractor grabs the ctg as soon as it pops out of hte box so whe you pull the bolt to rear the ctg is ejected versus just falling out.

CH

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:34:04 PM EDT
[#18]
innocent_bystander,

Thank you for that information. Looks like Remington will fix my rifle and I'll just pay 20 + shipping......  
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:37:00 PM EDT
[#19]
The instructions say "gunsmithing required".  I wouldn't just pick something up for the hell of it, esp. if it wasn't really necessary if it required a gunsmith to install it.  I've been shooting my 2 remington 700's for years and have never needed anything like this.  Waste of money and time if you ask me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top