Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2018 11:53:10 AM EDT
I have a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 lens that I purchased used from a shop and didn't use it for a while and my warranty has run out.
My problem is the plastic retaining ring that holds the front element in place with 3 screws keeps coming loose and allowing dust to enter behind the lens and ruining my shot.

Can I use a small dab of lock-tite on these screws to stop this from happening or are there any other ideas other than sending to warranty. It is not economically feasible to do this as the repair is more than what I could purchase another lens.

I really want to use this lens as I bought it to do some astrophotography with.

Thanks

lens picture by GlockSpeed31, on Flickr
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 7:28:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/2/2018 7:29:08 AM EDT by NorthPolar]
I personally wouldn’t use any liquid adhesive/locktite as that can wick into the lens. Look at something that would add a little more friction to the screws at best, like a tiny amount of teflon pipe tape. That or some progaff cut to fit over the screw holes to keep them from rotating.

Point is, any liquid that can wick in small places is bad on a lens.

Although I’d certainly check and make sure your sharpness is all there. If the front element has shifted too much, you could start getting soft spots or fuzzy focus because things are out of alignment.
Top Top