Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2006 7:56:00 PM EDT
Rescued myself.

My key broke in half today (bottom key, seen below).
I went out and tired to get a new one made, but no one would/could do it (hand craft is dead these days, their machines can't take a broken key).

I bought a blank, and some files and visually filed until it worked.

20 bucks and 1 hour! (pics edited to secretize the keys (bond, james bond)>

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:58:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn dude!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:59:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Thats awesome..
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:59:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Ashame it says Seahawks on it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:01:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Easy enough.  Nicely done.

<------ Actually looks like fun to this former machinist.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:02:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Wouldn't a new lockset or core cost less than $20?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:02:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Very cool.

Now go get a bunch more made in case the same thing happens again.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:02:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

But I got cool files that I will have forever!
(All the different shape ones!)
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:06:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:08:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Good job. Take off the top of the point between the two deep cuts. It probably won't, but it can cause a pin trap making it so the key gets stuck. It's all the level spots that count.

Next is taking another key blank and wiggling it in the lock and filing the scratches until you make a key. That is the next level of cool. (and not really that hard) It's called impressioning, you'll probably get it your second or third try, just remeber you can't put metal back. If you keep practicing you'll learn to nail it first try.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:21:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn dude.

Do  you realize you just posted a picture of your house key on the internet ??????

Somebody out there has probably already looked up your address and is busily filing away on a key blank right now !!!

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:23:00 PM EDT
[#11]

I bought a blank, and some files and visually filed until it worked.

Sweet...now we can print that pic and make one too!

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:26:18 PM EDT
[#12]
why didn't you just take an impression of it like they do on those spy shows? Or laser-scan it and send it back to the lab so they could make a copy? Next time think man, think!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:29:27 PM EDT
[#13]
should have used a dremmel...oh yeah you couldnt get to it locked out!!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:30:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Damn dude.

Do  you realize you just posted a picture of your house key on the internet ??????

Somebody out there has probably already looked up your address and is busily filing away on a key blank right now !!!

And surely they are coming for his vital bodily fluids as well!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:31:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
should have used a dremmel...oh yeah you couldnt get to it locked out!!

Exactly!  I said that to my girlfriend as I was filing.

Fixed the pic!  Now It's NSA proof!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:32:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But I got cool files that I will have forever!
(All the different shape ones!)

PLUS the "Badge Of Honor" to say he did it... how many here can say they did.

VERY NICE job... Im impressed... and YES you are right... the craft of making these keys nowadays is gone. If the machine CANT do it, its NOT gettin' done.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:33:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Whoever told you they could make a new key out of a busted one was lying their ass off. I worked in a hardware store for many years and made copies all the time from busted keys. Some worked, some didn't but I tried my hardest to make it happen.

Good job anyways, pretty cool.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:33:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice job, McGyver.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:38:16 PM EDT
[#19]
You, my friend, are a true man!

YOU HAVE BEEN PROMOTED ON THE MAN-SCALE!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:57:38 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Whoever told you they could make a new key out of a busted one was lying their ass off. I worked in a hardware store for many years and made copies all the time from busted keys. Some worked, some didn't but I tried my hardest to make it happen.

Good job anyways, pretty cool.

Many new machines do not clamp the key into it like the old style, they have the key inserted into a cartridge depending on the key blank. Pushing a key blank that is broken into 2 pieces into the cartridge slot will not work. Companies are going to these because they are quicker to train on, and give better results for a relatively uneducated workforce........

Oh, and BTW great job Patchouli I've done that a couple of times on keys that blanks were not available for, it is really fun to play junior locksmith every now and then. Now pick up a pick set and see if you can learn to get into your house without a key or brick.......thats really fun.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:59:00 PM EDT
[#21]
There is one place that will still handcut them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top