Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2007 1:10:42 PM EDT
Okay here it goes..I hate Promag I think they suck. I think they suck so bad that I e-mailed Harris Publications to ask them why they take ad money from such a crappy company...To make a long story short Harris forwarded my e-mail to Promag. The VP of the company e-mailed me back and said he wanted to hear my issues.

I told him of my own personal problems with his mags and recommended some fixes.
Here were my suggestions.

1. Better/stronger springs
2. Feed lip issues
3. Problems with followers
4. Quality control.

Can you guys think of anything else I can suggest?
If he wants to make a better product, we should help.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 1:19:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I think their mags make great looking paper weights.  Thats the only use of the AK mag I own.  Just loading it I knew it wouldnt work because the spring felt so weak.  I think it would be kick ass if it functioned properly.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I think their mags make great looking paper weights.  Thats the only use of the AK mag I own.  Just loading it I knew it wouldnt work because the spring felt so weak.  I think it would be kick ass if it functioned properly.  

Ok, I'm gonna forward the responses to the guy. So pls suggest some fixes.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 1:27:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

how do you screw up a AK mag?  i'm pretty sure you could make one with some sheet metal a vice and a hammer.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 1:29:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

how do you screw up a AK mag?  i'm pretty sure you could make one with some sheet metal a vice and a hammer.

Yeah, no shit.  The spring feels like it came out of a 10/22 30 round mag.  Compared to a steel mag, its very obvious, just by pushing it down with your finger.  Seriously, how can a company sell things that dont even work?  
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 1:30:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, I'm gonna forward the responses to the guy. So pls suggest some fixes.

STIFFER SPRING SO IT WILL ACTUALLY LOAD
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 1:31:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I stopped using Promag's in 1995
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 2:32:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a few ProMag magazines...

.... and they all work FINE.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 3:10:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I had always heard that the Pro-mags for the SIG 210 worked fine, just didn't have the follower to hold the slide back.   Of course that is a very simple, single stack design with heel release.

Have you purchased and used any yourself?
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 3:57:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Is the Promag mag for the AR, a thermold lookalike? If so, mine are the sorriest piece of crap I've ever used, even worse than the USA mags.

Mine have a soft follower, plus will absolutely not lock back the bolt. Am I talking about the same mags?
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 8:15:04 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Is the Promag mag for the AR, a thermold lookalike? If so, mine are the sorriest piece of crap I've ever used, even worse than the USA mags.

Mine have a soft follower, plus will absolutely not lock back the bolt. Am I talking about the same mags?

Yes I believe they are a thermold look alike. Are you also having  any feeding issues?

These are the issues that I'm trying to bring to the VP of ProMag.
He seems receptive so we'll see what happens.
Like I stated your posts will go to the VP.. Let me know your issues.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 8:17:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I bought a few of there mags and they either did not fit properly in the gun or the would not feed weak springs I think that caused the feeding problem.

I will neer buy another mag  from them.

Can you tell me which mags you had and what the issues with these mags were?
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 8:25:38 AM EDT
[#12]
3 1911 promag mags

2 ar-15 promags

Only mags I have ever thrown away with the exception of 2 "factory charles daly 1911 mags.(i beat those with a hammer to make sure they were gone)

One of the 1911 mags and 1 of the AR mags would bind when inserting into the magwell.  I did try some crank cloth and a dremel with limited success

the 1911 was tried in a Kimber warrior, a CD and a Sprgfield GI.  The AR mags were tried in a Colt 20" a RRA 16" and a BM 16" as well as in a friend's 16" DPMS

the other 2 1911 mags experienced failures that I associated with bad/weak springs

the other AR mag the follower would bind inside the mag body either while loading or while firing.

I preach against promag whenever possible
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 9:30:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
3 1911 promag mags

2 ar-15 promags

Only mags I have ever thrown away with the exception of 2 "factory charles daly 1911 mags.(i beat those with a hammer to make sure they were gone)

One of the 1911 mags and 1 of the AR mags would bind when inserting into the magwell.  I did try some crank cloth and a dremel with limited success

the 1911 was tried in a Kimber warrior, a CD and a Sprgfield GI.  The AR mags were tried in a Colt 20" a RRA 16" and a BM 16" as well as in a friend's 16" DPMS

the other 2 1911 mags experienced failures that I associated with bad/weak springs

the other AR mag the follower would bind inside the mag body either while loading or while firing.

I do the same, in fact that's why the VP got ahold of me. I e-mailed Harris Publications (Guns and weapons for L/E, Special weapons for mil and police) with my disdain for ProMag and they forwarded my e-mail to the company.

The VP wants my input on problems, I wanted your input so thanks.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 11:49:56 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
3 1911 promag mags

2 ar-15 promags

I do the same, in fact that's why the VP got ahold of me. I e-mailed Harris Publications (Guns and weapons for L/E, Special weapons for mil and police) with my disdain for ProMag and they forwarded my e-mail to the company.

The VP wants my input on problems, I wanted your input so thanks.

At the risk of sounding smart ass, my first question would be "does pro-mag employ people in a QC department/function?" Seriously I can't see how they get out the door if they are doing any kind of spec testing on them whatsoever.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 11:54:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a 10-round 7.62x39 AK mag from them.  The mag works OK, but the quality of workmanship and finish kind of sucks, especially when compared to European military production AK mags.  

I have a 20-round Hungarian AK mag that is MUCH nicer than anything made by promag.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 6:50:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 6:52:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Not holding specified number of rounds, specifically the M1A magazines
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 6:55:48 PM EDT
[#18]
my promag regular size mags sucked

my 2 32rd ones for the Beretta 92 work flawslessy and one is modified to fit a Beretta PX4
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 6:59:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a few 92 mags that are probably promags, and they work, but even the super cheap $5 eagle mags work in that gun.  

I have a few Megastar mags that are crap...when loading, the follower tilts and catches on the hole for the mag catch...you either have to force it past or use something to push the follower out of the slot.  When firing the follower binds again.

I can see cutting a few corners to make a less expensive product, but to produce crap and market it as the best ever is a sin.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 7:02:06 PM EDT
[#20]
HK USP 45 20rd mags do not lock the slide back on both of my USP's

Other than that they seem to function 100% of the time.

Their 870 stock has a god awful angle when extended. Tell them to straiten the damn thing out. It should be strait and level not a 45 degree tilt.

Their springs are weak. All of them
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:07:02 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I have a few 92 mags that are probably promags, and they work, but even the super cheap $5 eagle mags work in that gun.  

I have a few Megastar mags that are crap...when loading, the follower tilts and catches on the hole for the mag catch...you either have to force it past or use something to push the follower out of the slot.  When firing the follower binds again.

I can see cutting a few corners to make a less expensive product, but to produce crap and market it as the best ever is a sin.  

I have a Megastar 45 and the mags don't even fit into the mag well..At least yours fit.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:10:39 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK what type? How many? How long have you had them?

Got two magazines years ago for a little .380 pistol.  They worked fine.

Last year got a 20 round Beretta 92 magazine for my CX4 Storm.  This one did have a minor problem - the sleeve that fit over the base of the magazine was not shaped correctly for the CX4 magwell.  Filed down the back of it to angle it correctly, and it works fine.  The magazine would have worked fine in a 92FS, though.

Got one 15 round magazine for my CZ75B.  Absolutely no issues with it.  

I don't shoot much, so all of the magazines I own don't get used that much.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:04:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks guys, keep em coming because I'm gonna pass these on when I get enough responses..
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:08:19 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I use the 9mm AR mags from ProMag since I finally gave up on CProducts after months of bullshit.

One-hundred-percent, never had a single malf. with them.

Multiple bump-fire mag dumps with WWB, still no problems.

Surprised the shit out of me I wasn't expecting much.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:55:20 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a Promag VFG and it hasn't fallen off of my rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top