Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2008 8:03:57 AM EST
Some recent posts contrast the private vs public school debate. Tell me if your kids could have done this in a public school. My kids are both in college right now but graduated in the last three years from private high school. The school currently has about 350 students from rural areas and several small citys of 20,000 to 40,000 plus (liberal leaning)

Son carried a SOG folder in school for all 4 years. I told the Principal that I approve that he can and she did not have an issue with it. Some teachers asked to use it to open stuff up.

Wore shirts that said Got Sig?, Glock and NRA. Would read reloading and gun books in study hall and write reports on the 2nd amd and gun rights. One time he even had a few rounds in his coat from shooting with the previous weekend and they fell out in front of the Principal with nothing other than being told to put them in the truck and get to class.

Each of his four science projects were gun related. His freshman year was how to make gun powder. With small demonstrations. His Soph project was a balistic gel bullet damage/engery absorption project. He used 9mm, 22 cal and a BB gun for the project. His junior project was how much steel could a 30-30 bullet go through at 25, 50 100 and 200 feet. He used that data for energy equation. His senior year was a project with a chronograph and targets shooting from a bench to show how gravity effects a bullet.

We were never told to scale back any of the projects or talked to from anyone in the school. Not one teacher, parent or student.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 8:06:45 AM EST
Best money you can spend my friend.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 8:44:39 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/22/2008 8:45:02 AM EST by legalese77]

Originally Posted By longbow5:
Some recent posts contrast the private vs public school debate. Tell me if your kids could have done this in a public school. My kids are both in college right now but graduated in the last three years from private high school. The school currently has about 350 students from rural areas and several small citys of 20,000 to 40,000 plus (liberal leaning)

Son carried a SOG folder in school for all 4 years. I told the Principal that I approve that he can and she did not have an issue with it. Some teachers asked to use it to open stuff up.

Wore shirts that said Got Sig?, Glock and NRA. Would read reloading and gun books in study hall and write reports on the 2nd amd and gun rights. One time he even had a few rounds in his coat from shooting with the previous weekend and they fell out in front of the Principal with nothing other than being told to put them in the truck and get to class.

Each of his four science projects were gun related. His freshman year was how to make gun powder. With small demonstrations. His Soph project was a balistic gel bullet damage/engery absorption project. He used 9mm, 22 cal and a BB gun for the project. His junior project was how much steel could a 30-30 bullet go through at 25, 50 100 and 200 feet. He used that data for energy equation. His senior year was a project with a chronograph and targets shooting from a bench to show how gravity effects a bullet.

We were never told to scale back any of the projects or talked to from anyone in the school. Not one teacher, parent or student.

I went to private school. Mandatory uniforms for everything, including P.E. You could wear whatever shirt you wanted...so long as it was under your uniform. Also, mandatory restrictions on male hair length. No weapons of any kind ever allowed with one exception. I did have archery class where we permitted to use standard el cheapo fiberglass longbows and field-pointed arrows.

Everyone in public school wore whatever they pleased and carried whatever weapons they dared.

Not that I'm complaining, by any means. Just pointing out that not everyone has a similar experience.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 8:48:15 AM EST

my 7 y/o son is in a private school that has a very tough entry exam, to limit the class size and maintain consistancy of the kids in each class.

his projects are unbelievable. from kindergarden on - they start public speaking in front of audiences, which i consider premo. even in 1st grade he has 1-1.5 hours of homework a night. field trips weekly. 20 kids and 3 teachers in his class.

the school goes thru 8th grade and the science teacher gives me free reign 3 days of the year for very detailed class time for 6,7, 8th graders.

one of my presentations goes like this.
i basically take whitetail deer WHOLE..and dissect it with the help of the classes. all kids partake. we basically do an autopsy. this also includes behavior of the whitetail and study of the animals. interestingly enough, the girls are far more interested than the boys and far more ready to touch and manipulate fresh organs removed from the body.

once a year, myself and members of 4 other tribes have a week of teaching.

i spend a phenomenal amount of money to this school. but in the end it will pay off in many different ways. several universities are already wanting my son to take the ACT and SAT at an extremely young age and are willing to pay for it as well as give us a monthly stipend. which 2 universities are already doing.

my wife and i couldnt be happier.

Link Posted: 1/22/2008 8:53:46 AM EST
WOW!!!

you guys are doing a great job
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 8:55:14 AM EST
hmmmmmm, well we do have a Gun Show in the Jr. High gymnasium every year
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 9:05:59 AM EST
I had a similar high schooling. Always had a knife and had a few teachers that would use it on a daily basis, almost all of my teachers were pro gun and I went shooting with many of them.

and I graduated in '02
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 9:12:11 AM EST
My brother works at a private school in England - here is some of what he teaches:

Link Posted: 1/22/2008 9:13:48 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/22/2008 9:14:23 AM EST by Jace]
Oh yeah, well at the college I went to some were issued M14's and others M16's and everyone had knives in their door rooms! And this was a Georgia public state college!!

Of course it was also a military college!!!
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 9:14:10 AM EST
i graduated from a public school in a small town in texas.

walk the parking lot and every truck had a rifle in a gun rack on the back window.

this was in 1999, and i suspect not much has changed since.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 9:18:46 AM EST
Went to a Private School (2 actually) one kid brought in a shotgun for speech class..pointed out all the main parts..dissassembled it...showed how to clean it....reassembled it
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 10:33:01 AM EST

Same thing with my school. We know all the teachers and most of the students know them too. So we can do stuff like that because it is a family type atmosphere.

I love it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 10:40:19 AM EST
I attended public school from kindergarten to fifth grade.
After that (middle school, high school, college) it was private school.
My mind has been made up that when I have kids, they will never set foot inside of a public school.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 10:51:25 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 10:57:53 AM EST

Originally Posted By thedoctors308:
I attended public school from kindergarten to fifth grade.
After that (middle school, high school, college) it was private school.
My mind has been made up that when I have kids, they will never set foot inside of a public school.

I am torn on this issue.

On the one hand, public schools suck. On the other hand, try to find a private school that does not include religion.

My daughter is in grade school and I've been thinking of doing the same thing your parents did - switch to private for middle school and above.

My issue is religion. I want a school to teach academics not religion. Maybe your part of the country is different, but here in Texas I don't think anyone is aware that a private school does not have to be parochial.

Link Posted: 1/22/2008 11:03:44 AM EST

Originally Posted By Zack3g:

walk the parking lot and every truck had a rifle in a gun rack on the back window.

That town must have been a lot smaller than mine. That would equal jail here.

In fact, someone left a fillet knife in the back of his truck and got a free ride to jail not long before I graduated.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 11:07:35 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/22/2008 11:08:54 AM EST by longbow5]
Just put your kids in a private school. They don't put up with crap-see below!

A public school about 40 miles from me is in a whole lot of hurt. Several senior BBall players tried to haze Freshman BBall players with anal rape ( by finger ) and stick thier wongs in the younger kids faces and mouth.

Its in the courts and looks like the seniors and coaches are in a lot of hurt. The coaches tried to hide it after it happened. Crinimal charges and getting fired seem to be what should be done.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 11:24:30 AM EST

Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:

Originally Posted By MarkNH:
My brother works at a private school in England - here is some of what he teaches:

i128.photobucket.com/albums/p170/MarkNH/CCF/1.jpg

i128.photobucket.com/albums/p170/MarkNH/CCF/2.jpg

i128.photobucket.com/albums/p170/MarkNH/CCF/3.jpg

i128.photobucket.com/albums/p170/MarkNH/CCF/4.jpg

i128.photobucket.com/albums/p170/MarkNH/CCF/5.jpg

I'd be interested to hear more about that.

Combined Cadet Force. Basically the school has Army, air Force and Navy groups that kids 12-18 can join. They train regularly one afternoon a week plus they get to go on overnight trips and weeklong camps.

My Brother left the British Army after 20+ years and got a job at a good private school ($50k/year tuition fees for boarders) where he is responsible for the Army section. Overall about 1 in 5 of the kids at the school take part in the cadet force.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 11:36:01 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/22/2008 11:38:41 AM EST by jcmar15]
I went to a small public school carried a kife as did most of my friends. At least 20 to 30 people normal had a firearm of some type in their car or pick-up. I had many friends and myself that did reports on hunting, guns, and shooting I also did a report on explosives in my chem class. We talked about guns with teachers and had a few teachers that hunted a lot. A lot of small public schools arn't that bad the one's in the city might be bad but a lot of small one's are still pretty good. The school had about 200 kids and i graduated in 2006.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 11:47:13 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 11:48:59 AM EST

Until a couple years ago, that could easily describe any student's life at the public high school in my hometown. Not sure how it is now. When I attended, it wouldn't be out of place for half the vehicles in the parking lot to have full gun racks.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 11:49:22 AM EST
Private schools FTW...my headmaster shoots the geese with an air rifle everyday and throws fire crackers to scare them away.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 11:52:39 AM EST

[thread hijack in progress] Zack3g, I had no idea you were that young. I've noticed from other threads that you have several nice NFA toys. What do you do for a living, if you don't mind me asking. Thanks! [/thread hijack]
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 12:08:43 PM EST

I graduated in 02 and it was like this
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 12:19:44 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/22/2008 12:20:39 PM EST by Aimless]
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 12:23:07 PM EST
I went to a public school. In Jr. High archery was a part of PE. So was bowling and square dancing. Little town of a few thousand in the late 80's. I liked the bowling and archery, but it was way too easy to get an ugly or fat chick in square dancing.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 12:31:39 PM EST
I went to public school for my entire education, I didn't get into guns until I was 22
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 12:33:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/22/2008 12:36:28 PM EST by MVolkJ]
I went to a monastery school for most of high school. No, not a Montessori school, a monastery school. All male. Taught by actual MONKS who we called "brother" and stuff.

There was a girls' school down the street that was taught by nuns. They provided our cheerleaders, and we had social functions together.

I know my parents wanted me to have a good education (and the local public school in Seaside was a real piece of shit), but heck, I was socially inept already, after three years of that, and I was a hopeless nerd.

Ah, well, at least my laptop puts out enough heat to keep me warm at night.

-Mark
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 12:41:31 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/22/2008 12:43:22 PM EST by Gunman12188]

A friend and I picked up a 300 Winchester Magnum on the floor of this dirty little gunshop one day on our lunchbreak from highschool. When we got back to school he forgot it was in his pocket. I forget how but someone discovered that he had it. The school almost shut down for christs sake. He told the story and my name came up so there i was in the office too. They wanted to expell us. The Dean of discipline was a fucktarded little bitch... luckily I was in ASB and was always doing things for school and helping out at events... so the principal liked me and he saved our asses from the douche bag of discipline. I got off scott free and my friend got liek a day or 2 suspension

edit for spelling
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 12:56:22 PM EST

Originally Posted By MVolkJ:
I went to a monastery school for most of high school. No, not a Montessori school, a monastery school. All male. Taught by actual MONKS who we called "brother" and stuff.

There was a girls' school down the street that was taught by nuns. They provided our cheerleaders, and we had social functions together.

I know my parents wanted me to have a good education (and the local public school in Seaside was a real piece of shit), but heck, I was socially inept already, after three years of that, and I was a hopeless nerd.

Ah, well, at least my laptop puts out enough heat to keep me warm at night.

-Mark

I'm a senior at a school run by Benedictine monks. Not all of my teachers are monks though., in fact, most aren't. Funny thing is, my social skills, and those of my friends seem years ahead of our brother and sister schools...
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 1:07:47 PM EST

Originally Posted By Telemachus:

I'm a senior at a school run by Benedictine monks. Not all of my teachers are monks though., in fact, most aren't. Funny thing is, my social skills, and those of my friends seem years ahead of our brother and sister schools...

We had a couple of lay teachers, too, but mostly monks. The girls' school had fewer nuns and more lay teachers, though.

Things would have probably been better if I hadn't been a nerd already. Being able to avoid contact with females on a daily basis made it easier to fall into an isolationist "comfort zone".
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 2:22:22 PM EST
What amazes me is how quickly things have changed. I went to a NYC public high school from 92-96 it was a tech school (Aviation Mechanics). I always carried a folding knife & a good multi tool on my belt in a pouch. At least once a day one on my teachers would ask to use one. Never had any issues of "Weapon" mentality they were just tools.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 2:40:54 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/22/2008 2:41:38 PM EST by EllisonsOrange]
I went to a public high school, and things like that definitely were allowed. Then again, it's slowly transforming into an elite private academy.

But when I was there, it was certainly a real live public school.

ETA: and better than any private school I attended.
Top Top