Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 6/17/2003 10:34:18 AM EST
I am purchasing a rifle from someone in PA. I know the rifle needs to be shipped to an FFL, however, does the rifle need to be shipped from an FFL? Thanks, TVONE
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 10:40:46 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/17/2003 10:41:22 AM EST by mr_wilson]
No offense intended, but shouldn't the "seller" be able to answer this question? He should know the "firearm laws" in his own state, as their more than likely not gonna come all the way down here to arrest you, if "he" breaks the law in PA. Mike
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 12:55:14 PM EST
I've asked him the question, but he seems determined to ship it to my FFL from another FFL. Seems like it would be easier (cheaper and faster) just to go down to UPS or Fed-X yourself. I read the regs online, and it seems only handguns need to go through both FFL's. Looking for someone more familiar with PA. regs to set me straight.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:10:33 PM EST
Well, its not really a "private" sale since it is interstate and your FFL will be receiving it. Private sales are usually defined as only between two individuals, i.e., no 4473, and thus intrastate only. As far as PA goes, there's nothing in state law that prevents anyone from shipping either a handgun or a long gun to an FFL - only the recipient need be a licensee, which is, of course, federal law. Federal law prevents a private individual from using USPS from shipping a handgun (handgun shipments via USPS is only OK between FFL<->FFL), but a private individual can use a common carrier for interstate handgun shipments, provided the recipient is a licensee. UPS and FedEx require firearms shipments to be sent overnight, but that is their policy, not a law. Long guns can be shipped USPS, which is much more economical being UPS and FedEx will require overnight. See: [url]http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b8[/url] [i] [b]May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service? [/b] A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. [b](B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier?[/b] A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31] [/i] Of course, this is only federal law, but as mentioned, there is nothing in PA state law preventing this, that I'm aware of. Rocko
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:37:09 AM EST
Thank you. I knew the Federal statutes, but I wasn't sure if I was missing something after I read the state regs. Maybe he's just being cautious...
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:29:39 AM EST
Just be warned that MANY FFLs will not accept a weapon from an out of state individual... Most of the time I have tried to do this they want the gun to be shipped from a FFL in my state (If from me in PA) or they want it to come from an FFL (If shiped from out of the state to me in PA!) Good Luck but it is my understanding as well that what you ask is legal but MOST FFLs want to cover themselves with a a paper trail on where the gun originally came from in case it was stolen, used in a crime, etc!
Top Top