Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/20/2013 7:31:21 AM EDT
Question: I love going to San Francisco in my Prius, but I've noticed on many of the hills in the city my car rolls back anywhere from a couple feet to almost a car length before I can hit the gas. Once I had a taxi so close to my back bumper, I started running the stop signs (after checking to see if it was safe) just to make sure I didn't roll back and hit him. If I hit him, who would be at fault legally even though it's clearly his fault in real life?

Chris G
Reno

Answer: San Francisco traffic officials say you would be to blame. The vehicle that rolls back is at fault, as it is the driver's responsibility to prevent it.

It is nearly as funny that the reporter guy checked with "traffic officials.."

Link Posted: 3/20/2013 8:20:52 AM EDT
OMFG... They must be breeding more stupid people on the left coast...
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 8:22:17 AM EDT
I guess they've never driven a manual transmission vehicle, either.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 8:22:21 AM EDT
Good grief..someone smother that asshat with a pillow, pronto.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 8:23:41 AM EDT
I guess this so called "real life" is the same one that BO is living in, where everything is ALWAYS somebody else's fault.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 8:24:45 AM EDT
I would eat clutches if I lived in San Fran.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 8:24:57 AM EDT
If only the car had a gas pedal, clutch and brake pedal to control where it rolls

Link Posted: 3/20/2013 8:48:41 AM EDT
You would think a Prius would be right at home in San Fran.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 8:57:38 AM EDT
Originally Posted By AKengineer:
I would eat clutches if I lived in San Fran.

It's actually not too bad once you get used to it. The first time I drove a manual in SF, I was stopped at the second uphill stop sign I encountered when a city bus pulled up within a foot or so of my back bumper. Talk about pressure, but I executed a perfect heel-toe maneuver on the pedals and didn't roll back at all. Didn't burn the clutch either.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 9:01:57 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Merc1973:
OMFG... They must be breeding more stupid people on the left coast...

That is the average intelligence level over there, they can't do much else.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 9:03:15 AM EDT
I wonder what the deal with poses are? If they are electric it seems like the motor could be powered up split second like, motors usually put out torque right off. Maybe they have some smooth start function that eases power to the drive or something though, I dunno?
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 9:03:37 AM EDT
Originally Posted By cyborg543:
If only the car had a gas pedal, clutch and brake pedal to control where it rolls

And if you really feel you need it, an emergency brake.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 9:04:41 AM EDT
If I wanted to troll a local traffic reporter website for the lulz, this is pretty much how I'd go about it.

Just sayin'.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 9:06:02 AM EDT
can you not drive a Prious with both feet?

my mother would scream and yell about using both feet
and how I would wear out the brakes so much faster... still drive with both feet lol
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 9:10:22 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Subnet:
If I wanted to troll a local traffic reporter website for the lulz, this is pretty much how I'd go about it.

Just sayin'.

Its just way too perfect. The fact that he says prius makes me doubt the validity.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 9:17:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RightwingNutjob:
If they are electric it seems like the motor could be powered up split second like, motors usually put out torque right off. Maybe they have some smooth start function that eases power to the drive or something though, I dunno?

There is a delay between mashing the gas and things starting to happen.

My 2012 Prius C has a hill-hold feature. Press the brake down hard until you feel a click and it holds the brakes for a few seconds while everything spins up.

I had to make an emergency stop once. I bent my car. The bracket that holds the brake assembly to the firewall has strategic cutouts so that it folds properly in the event of an accident. I pushed so hard that I bent that bracket. The brake lights wouldn't go out due to the switch not pressing against anything. I had a loaner car for the two weeks it took for the dealer to confirm the issue, get a Toyota rep to confirm, then to decide what to do, then to order and install the part(s).

I like the C, though. My best tank so far has been 61mpg. The radio sucks, though.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 9:17:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By lighteye67:
Good grief..someone smother that asshat with a pillow, pronto.

It should be easy, as I'm sure they're already biting it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 9:21:35 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 9:21:44 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DDiggler:
Originally Posted By cyborg543:

And if you really feel you need it, an emergency brake.

Prius(es) Prii? don't have clutch pedals.

And driving with 2 feet is way above the skillset of the average prius driver.

As for driving a manual in SF. Would be no big deal for me, have never had a daily driver that was an automatic, offroad truck is also manual. Try starting from a dead stop on a 45+ degree slope covered in dirt/mud/snow. All 3 pedals and the e brake in use at times.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 9:25:12 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:

Some cars hold the brakes on now so stupid people can drive on hills. What the fuck is this country coming to when cars with auto trannies come with "hill control"?
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 9:36:07 AM EDT
Originally Posted By scottedward58:

Some cars hold the brakes on now so stupid people can drive on hills. What the fuck is this country coming to when cars with auto trannies come with "hill control"?

Subaru has put hill holders on their cars for quite a long time.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 10:11:24 AM EDT
Studebaker would lock the brakes to stop the car from rolling back in 1955. Perhaps even earlier, but I remember the '55.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 10:33:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By scottedward58:

"Hill hold" was a feature on some cars as early as the mid-1930's. Nash, Hudson, etc.

Link Posted: 3/20/2013 10:35:26 AM EDT
Top Top