Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/20/2005 11:16:03 AM EDT
Goonboss and I have been going back and forth about going back into the service.
I did four years 74-78 as a 11BP and got out. Spent 3 years as a civilian, hated it so I came back in. Back to 11BP. It took me 4 more yrs to make E6. RIP, Ranger, Instructor, college. I saw my peers promoting ahead of me. 18 yrs in to make E7. Retired at 20 and miss everyday of it.

Let here your story.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:17:30 AM EDT
I did 4 active F15 crew chief and 2 reserve c130 crew chief. I enjoyed it immensily and of course remember the good times first and foremost, other than job security though I prefer civilian life.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:25:12 AM EDT
6 years as a Gun Bunny. The field was great, but garrison sucked BAD. When I was in, the M109 (mine was an A2) didn't even have a radio, and now the damned thing has it's own fire control, navigation...shit, the freakin' thing takes ITSELF out of travel lock! Bein' a 13B sure has changed from what it was like when I was in...
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:01:51 PM EDT
Zardoz,
Don't feel too bad, towed artillery still sucks as much as it has since the invention of towed artillery.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:12:07 PM EDT
2 years, 9 months, 22 days. Medically discharged. I was a 2844, USMC, only unit I was assigned to was Base Telephone (G6), MCB Camp Butler, Okinawa Japan.

I was injured on a PT run one morning. My achilles tendon snapped off of my foot. Got it reattatched, did a whole lot of physical therapy, and they discharged me for it.

I just got my results back from the VA compensation board - 80% disability
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:17:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/20/2005 4:18:56 PM EDT by XGunBunny]
I still miss some of military life, but not all of it.

I did 6 yrs as a 13B, reason for the XGunBunny name, and 4 yrs as a 31P, fixed station comm job. My last tour was in Korea, great job, great location, stationed in Camp Carrol in Waegon and worked in Camp Walker in Taegu. It was a strategic communications unit, meaning no field duty and hardly any TA50. The only problem was our CO was a dipshit who came from a Air Defense Arty unit, had a degreee in business, and was gung ho like a mofo. He and I didn't see eye to eye on anything. Anyway, to make it short, I fucked up with 2 weeks to my terminal leave date, I was ETSing out of Korea, got drunk as a pig, got into a verbal disagreement with a 2nd LT female MP and ended up losing. I got busted from Sgt to Spc with basically 2 weeks left in the Army. My SSG, the 1Sgt and the BN SGM all told the BN CO to let it go and not bust me, as I had a some medals, great NCOER's, never had been busted or in any serious trouble, plus I had been in persian gulf in 91. My company CO disagreed and told the BN CO to hammer me with the book. He pulled by stripes, restricted me to quaters, which didn't matter as I was clearing anyway. He threatened to pull my terminal leave, but JAG advised against that. So after all was said and done, it ended up being a Officer against Enlisted thing.

So, if I wasn't happy with civilian life I would go back in if they would take me, but, I love the company I work for, love what I do for a living and enjoy the monetary benefits, plus no more digging foxholes!!!

All in all, I am very grateful that I was able to serve my country and look back on those 10 yrs as a great time in my life.

<edited to fix spelling errors>
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:17:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/20/2005 4:19:31 PM EDT by DOW]
4 years USMC active duty - 0311 Rifleman. Desert Storm in 91, CAR for the trouble. Most of my time as a Lance Coolie, got E-4 a few months before I got out. I miss the camaraderie now that I'm out, but I don't miss freezing my dick off or humping up mountains with a pack that weighed more than me.

I'm proud of what I did. It's a small little fire that will burn inside me until I die. I'll die a United States Marine. Not many can say that, but I can. Semper Fidelis.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:21:48 PM EDT
Shoulder injury on Parris Island. After the Crucible, I was not allowed to graduate with my platoon and received a medical discharge later.

Probably one of the greatest regrets of my life.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:23:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/20/2005 4:26:04 PM EDT by LTVN68]
2 Year OBV ( Obligated Volunteer) (volunteered ROTC so I wouldn't get drafted) 1st Year: officer basic, 14th MI at Ft. Bragg, Jungle School, Ft. Sherman Canal Zone. 2nd Year: Advisor/Liason Officer to the Black Panther Division Royal Thai Army at Bearcat RVN detached from 2nd Field Force HQ's, Long Binh, RVN. 3rd Year: civilian and glad to be...............1981 Asst. S3, 207th Infantry Group (Scout) Alaska National Guard. Then we had our first child at which point I left the military behind forever. Yeah! there are things you miss, but then again............."it aint all fun and roses", but I truly admire those who serve as true volunteers....meaning all those who serve today!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:27:34 PM EDT
Spent nine years in AF as a Computer Operator from 1983 to 1992. I got out during the first drawndown of forces in 92. I regret getting out and would love to back in.
Top Top