Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2006 6:51:22 AM EDT
I've always had heartburn once in a while, but lately it's been insane, even waking me up every night. I'd take a few Tums and go back to bed, but it was so bad that Tums barely worked.

So Monday I'm getting real sick of this heartburn shit, but don't really want to go to the doctor yet either so I go to a drug store and end up picking up Prilosec. It comes in a box of 14 and you're supposed to take one a day for 14 days and that's it.

Well I took the first one Monday afternoon when I bought them and then one each day when I got up Tuesday and today and I haven't had any heartburn at all since, not even the Monday the day I first took it.

I hope this shit continues to work like this because it's great.

The only bad thing for me are my habits of doing everything that's not recommended if you get frequent heart burn, like smoking, alcohol, carbonated beverages and spicy foods. Shit that's all I do.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:10:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I buy the Prilosec in the sized packs!

I have been taking them in probably the wrong way (as in:  "Hey, I haven't had a bout of unpleasant heartburn in a few days, I better take a Prilosec this morning.") for the last year or so and they've helped me out a lot.  Zantac works too - but that shit is more expensive.

The only bad thing for me are my habits of doing everything that's not recommended if you get frequent heart burn, like smoking, alcohol, carbonated beverages and spicy foods.
Well, I don't smoke or drink hardly any soda - but I do likes the illegal alien food a bit too much.  I'm sure there's something in my everyday diet that causes rampant heartburn - but I've never really sought to determine exactly what it is (like dairy or caffeine, etc.)
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:22:34 AM EDT
[#2]
"The Purple Pill" is Nexium, not Prilosec.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:54:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Frequent Heartburn sucks. If you get it alot, you should see your doctor. It can lead to erosion of your esophogus and other damage from what I hear. Also could be a sign if you have a hernia. It's not something to ignore. BTW, Prevacid works just as good with a RX from your doc.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:20:17 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Apparently they both are. Nexium is only available by perscription, Prilosec is over the counter.

www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/06/21/health/main559770.shtml
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:29:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apparently they both are. Nexium is only available by perscription, Prilosec is over the counter.

www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/06/21/health/main559770.shtml

How odd is that?  I take prilosec (prescription strength) and mine is white with a yellow band.  I wonder if the purposely made the OTC Prilosec to try to cash in on Nexium's "purple pill" campaign.  You know, confuse the consumer who is just looking for the "purple pill" into buying their product instead of Nexium.

Lifesaver
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:50:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah I'm on the Prilosec OTC as well, and seeing as Humana doesn't want to pay for anything better I've been taking 2 a day pretty much since it came out.  If I cut it back to one, I can't make it through the night.  It's a real pain in the ass.  I'm working on changing primary care physicians though, that might help a bit too.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:54:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

How odd is that?  I take prilosec (prescription strength) and mine is white with a yellow band.  I wonder if the purposely made the OTC Prilosec to try to cash in on Nexium's "purple pill" campaign.  You know, confuse the consumer who is just looking for the "purple pill" into buying their product instead of Nexium.

Lifesaver

Prilosec and Nexium are made by the same company and are esentially the same medication. Prescription Prilosec is only available in generic capsules (omeprazole), which probably why your capsules are white. --ETA-The highest strength prescription is still brand only---Over the counter (OTC) Prilosec is a tablet, but has the same active ingredient.

Nexium was released just before Prilosec went generic, so the company could have doctors convert Prilosec users to Nexium.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:04:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Frequent Heartburn sucks. If you get it alot, you should see your doctor. It can lead to erosion of your esophogus and other damage from what I hear. Also could be a sign if you have a hernia. It's not something to ignore. BTW, Prevacid works just as good with a RX from your doc.

+1  I just found out a few months ago that I have a hiatal hernia and probably have for most of my life.  The damage to my esophagus is so bad I have developed Barrett's esophagus.  Which means my chances for throat cancer have increased 35% to 135%  

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:05:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

They are all purple.  I was calling Prilosec the "purple pill" long before Nexium was even on the market.  I'm no longer on Prilosec but it does rock.  I'm now on Prevacid (also purple) and it rocks even more.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:06:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've always had heartburn once in a while, but lately it's been insane, even waking me up every night. I'd take a few Tums and go back to bed, but it was so bad that Tums barely worked.

So Monday I'm getting real sick of this heartburn shit, but don't really want to go to the doctor yet either so I go to a drug store and end up picking up Prilosec. It comes in a box of 14 and you're supposed to take one a day for 14 days and that's it.

Well I took the first one Monday afternoon when I bought them and then one each day when I got up Tuesday and today and I haven't had any heartburn at all since, not even the Monday the day I first took it.

I hope this shit continues to work like this because it's great.

The only bad thing for me are my habits of doing everything that's not recommended if you get frequent heart burn, like smoking, alcohol, carbonated beverages and spicy foods. Shit that's all I do.

I get heartburn all the time and I eat good, avoid alot of crap, and hardly ever drink alcohol or soda. I smoke maybe a cigar a month been 2 months since my last. I just had an upper gi done 6 months ago, and had one done about 3 years before. Nobody can tell me why I get it. I started taking Zantac Extra strength 1 daily. That stuff is good to go. No more chomping down EX TUMS all day/night. I buy mine at the commissary or PX and use coupons. It is not that expensive, and allows me to not have a "medication" to list to keep my deployability status green.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:10:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I've been taking a prescription pill called "Aciphex" for about a month now... It's 100% effective and stopped ALL heartburn completly.
Prior to this, I had serious acid reflux problems...  
I was eating Pepcid like candy, and would go through almost a whole bottle in a week...
On two different occasions, I was awaken at night in the middle of deep sleep unable to breath, due to choking on stomach acid.

That's a strange experience to say the least....  Going from deep sleep to complete panic in a fraction of a second. The fumes and burning sensation made me think the house was on fire the first time it happened.

After choking in my sleep for a second time, I went to see the Doc...  

I actually had heartburn so bad, I would drink a small glass of water with a large spoonfull of baking soda in it...  YUK !...  But immediately VERY effective.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:16:07 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are all purple.  I was calling Prilosec the "purple pill" long before Nexium was even on the market.  I'm no longer on Prilosec but it does rock.  I'm now on Prevacid (also purple) and it rocks even more.

Same here. The doc kept having me sign a release to keep taking it because of the risk of polyps, but I changed docs soon after that. Now I take 300mg of Zantac at bedtime and I don't wake up puking anymore.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:17:29 AM EDT
[#13]

I actually had heartburn so bad, I would drink a small glass of water with a large spoonfull of baking soda in it... YUK !... But immediately VERY effective.

+1

Easy.... temporary fix.  Better than TUMS IMO.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:29:35 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I actually had heartburn so bad, I would drink a small glass of water with a large spoonfull of baking soda in it... YUK !... But immediately VERY effective.

+1

Easy.... temporary fix.  Better than TUMS IMO.

That used to work great, but ever since this heartburn problem kicked into overdrive recently even that didn't work all that great.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:41:02 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here. The doc kept having me sign a release to keep taking it because of the risk of polyps, but I changed docs soon after that. Now I take 300mg of Zantac at bedtime and I don't wake up puking anymore.

I take Prevacid and it keeps everything under control. Is that what your saying causes polyps?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:47:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Elevate the head of your bed too. IF you have heartburn all the time you likely have GERD (do a google search for more info. ) and yes see a doc. (had it for years. and on prilosec otc now. works fine. )
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:03:04 AM EDT
[#17]
I was on prilosec for a while last year. I very rarely get heartburn, but one night I got it real bad in the form of Acid Reflux. Boy, I thought I was going to die that night. It started out as normal heartburn that was no big deal. Then, about twenty minutes later, my chest, arms and shoulders felt like they were going to explode and was having difficulty breathing and talking. I was certain I was having a heart attack. The wife drove me to the ER, where they gave me nitro immediately. They kept me overnight, the next day the DR. said that I had Acid Reflux, my heart was fine. I have not had it since.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:09:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:12:20 AM EDT
[#19]
I buy a Mexican generic called Alboz, it has the same principal ingredient (Omperazol) of Prilosec,Prevacid, etc. I get 120 capsules prescription strenght for around $12.

Yeah, you all can chastise me for buying Mexican products all you want, but to buy the same here would require a doctors visit, at $30, plus another $60 for the same amount of product and thats with insurance!!!!(I know 'cause I paid this for years)

On my limited income I'll pay the $12 dollars, forget the doctors visit and I'm good to go!!!...
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:15:45 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
My dr just switched me from 40mg prilosec to aciphex.  Works tons better...

Ditto that...

My Doc started me on something else, and when we switched health insurance companies, the new carrier (Aetna) didn't cover that particular prescription. They did however, cover "Aciphex", which seems to work 1000 times better...  This stuff actually seems to last a few days if I forget to take it.
Sure hope there's no long term side effects, as I expect to be on it a LONG time.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:44:31 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

+1  I just found out a few months ago that I have a hiatal hernia and probably have for most of my life.  The damage to my esophagus is so bad I have developed Barrett's esophagus.  Which means my chances for throat cancer have increased 35% to 135%  

Ouch! I feel for ya bro. Hope you make out ok.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:55:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Nexium is the shit, I tried Prilosec OTC when I ran out and couldn't get a Dr's appointment for a refill for like 2 weeks, did'nt work the same for me.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:00:36 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ouch! I feel for ya bro. Hope you make out ok.

Chances of surviving the cancer if it ever develops are good.  It's a slow cancer so there is an excellent chance they'll catch it early and then the give me chemo and remove the affected part of my esophagus, giving me a hiatal hernia.  Since I already have that I'm have way done.  Survival rate is in the high 90 percentile.

I'll be having annual upper endoscopys the rest of my life.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:40:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I take Prevacid and it keeps everything under control. Is that what your saying causes polyps?

No. The original prescription Prilosec had a warning that you could only take it a short time, or risk polyps in your stomach. I don't remember how many mg per capsule they were though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top