Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2013 7:07:46 AM EDT
Asking for a buddy.  He came across a guy near him that is selling a like-new RRA 9mm AR, what I assume is the "LAR-9," and asked me what a current "fair" price would be.  I don't know if it's the carbine or mid, but retail looks to be around $1200-1300 with about a $100 difference between the two.

I'm told it looks similar to the lower one on this page, but again I'm not sure if it's car or mid until I can see a photo of it.  RRA product page.

ETA:  It's carbine and I believe it does have that RRA half quad-rail like the one in that photo.

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 7:14:06 AM EDT
[#1]
9mms are blowback guns, so there is no gas system. The "mid-length" and "carbine" designation just refers to the length of the handguard.

It will probably sell for $2k in this market.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 7:31:00 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

9mms are blowback guns, so there is no gas system. The "mid-length" and "carbine" designation just refers to the length of the handguard.

Thanks for the info.

I just got to see the photo and it looks like an LAR-9 pistol with the carbine length smooth handguard.  The picture cuts off before the end of the buffer tube but there is a lot of tube there, too much IMHO for it to be a stock.  There is also no "rail" along the bottom side of the buffer tube.  I had him ask for more photos and ask outright if it's a pistol which the guy has not mentioned at all...he just refers to it as an RRA 9mm ar-15 several times which is a bit odd if it is in fact a pistol.  It also has the A2 FSB which doesn't appear to be an option on the lar-9 pistol product page so I'm not sure what the deal is there.

If it is an lar-9 pistol how much does that affect pricing?  I believe the guy is asking less than retail and is even including his original receipt, and there has been no negotiating so his bottom line is unknown at this time.

Also, if it's a pistol, what's the process on converting it to a rifle?  If there's little to no red tape involved in converting an AR pistol to rifle then this might still be a good deal depending on how much my buddy can get a stock and barrel setup for.

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 7:34:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the info.

I just got to see the photo and it looks like an LAR-9 pistol with the carbine length smooth handguard.  The picture cuts off before the end of the buffer tube but there is a lot of tube there, too much IMHO for it to be a stock.  There is also no "rail" along the bottom side of the buffer tube.  I had him ask for more photos and ask outright if it's a pistol which the guy has not mentioned at all...he just refers to it as an RRA 9mm ar-15 several times which is a bit odd if it is in fact a pistol.  It also has the A2 FSB which doesn't appear to be an option available for that model from RRA which is weird.

If it is an lar-9 pistol how much does that affect pricing?  I believe the guy is asking less than retail and is even including his original receipt, and there has been no negotiating so his bottom line is unknown at this time.

Also, if it's a pistol, what's the process on converting it to a rifle?  If there's little to no red tape involved in converting an AR pistol to rifle then this might still be a good deal depending on how much my buddy can get a stock and barrel setup for.

You can make a pistol into a rifle, but it can never be a pistol again.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 7:36:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

<snip>

So it's just a matter of installing a stock and 16" barrel assembly, no paperwork or taxes involved?  If he buys this and does the conversion it won't ever go back to a pistol configuration.

The guy has a receipt showing he paid roughly $1300 for this thing and it's supposedly in like-new condition.  If it is in fact a pistol, would any price below retail be reasonable?

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 7:42:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Bump.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 7:46:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>

So it's just a matter of installing a stock and 16" barrel assembly, no paperwork or taxes involved?  If he buys this and does the conversion it won't ever go back to a pistol configuration. YES
The guy has a receipt showing he paid roughly $1300 for this thing and it's supposedly in like-new condition.  If it is in fact a pistol, would any price below retail be reasonable? The market is all over the place.  Who the hell knows what anything is "worth" right now.  Basically, whatever he can get for it.  

Best of my knowledge.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 7:48:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 7:50:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Funny, I tried to sell my 9mm Colt pattern AR with 9 mags last summer and couldn't get any offers at $850...
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 7:56:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Funny, I tried to sell my 9mm Colt pattern AR with 9 mags last summer and couldn't get any offers at $850...

I'd have been all over that.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 8:05:02 AM EDT
[#10]
It is definitely a pistol.  Got to see a few more complete photos of it.  The guy is asking less than retail for it, and it can be converted to rifle, so I'll consider that a good deal and pass the word along to my buddy.

Would any of you happen to know where to get 9mm barrel assemblies?  I don't even know where to buy normal barrel assemblies other than maybe del-ton or cmmg.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top