Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/5/2005 2:27:10 PM EDT
Anybody have experience with one? Anything in particular I need to watch out for? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:52:36 PM EDT
Haven't heard of an F8 - do you mean 8N?

Lots of info and discussion forums here

That site also has things to look for and check out. If you don't have any experience with tractors, it would be wise to take someone who knows about them with you. 8Ns can go for between $500 and $5000 or more depending on condition.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 3:00:32 PM EDT
Here's what you should know about buying an old tractor,

Buy a Case.

Case VA series tractors have live hydraulics, more power than the N-series fords, the best hitch ever made, foot and hand throttles and are very solidly built. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a good one under $1000, they made lots of them and parts are cheap and easy to find. The ford tractors are overpriced for what they are on the used market.Case gives you twice the tractor for half the money.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 3:02:23 PM EDT
Another good tractor forum is www.tractorbynet.com
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 3:53:54 PM EDT
All I know is the ford has live PTO all the time......which kinda sucks
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:00:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Pappy1:

I had to get a PTO clutch for mine to use my bushhog.

Get a modern tractor with hydraulic connections and a PTO that wont push you off of a cliff when you try to stop.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:07:51 PM EDT

Ford's are ok. You want to stay with the major manufactures that were in the buisiness at the time (30's-50's) due to parts availability. International, John Deere, Case, Ford, Allis Chalmers, . All still have wide parts availability both OEM and after market. Some of the lesser sold brands at the time (30's-50's) are harder to find and you will have to look in tractor graveyards for some parts. Example- Oliver, MM, Cockshutt, Avery, . I do own an Oliver and like it a lot but some parts are not available through dealers anymore. Good Luck. it is fun to restore them if you have the patience.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:31:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/5/2005 4:33:44 PM EDT by Herzo]

Originally Posted By Pappy1:

Actually, the 2N/9N/8N series Fords did not have live PTO, rather their PTO was connected to the drive wheels. This made them unhandy/dangerous with any accessory that had a significant amount of inertia. They would continue to drive the tractor forward unless they were coupled with a one-way clutch.

They were somewhere between 22 & 25 HP - enough to pull a single 16" plow, but they would soon fall behind for any semi-serious work. The 2N & 9N were 3 speed + reverse although some had a dealer installed overdrive that would give them 6 + 2. The 8N was a 4 speed + reverse.

The hydraulics were marginal and lift only (no down force).

Their 3 point hitch system was ahead of their time and probably one of the major reasons for their popularity.

The engine was basically from a circa 1930 model A Ford.

They were a decent tool 60 years ago, but were supplanted in the 50's and early 60's by tractors with more power, live pto & serious hydraulics.

If you look, you can buy a decent working tractor for the same money that you would need to pay for one of the Fords.

Stay with International, Case, Massey Ferguson, John Deere & Fords built after 1960.

Top Top