Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2001 2:54:56 PM EDT
Ran into an old friend today and while chatting he asked if I wanted to buy his M1.

I hadn't really looked at them, but what's a ballpark figure for what one is worth?

Also is there anything in particular to look (out) for in that rifle?

Thanks y'all!

Link Posted: 12/19/2001 3:20:19 PM EDT
[#1]
You didn't give any info about the rifle so I don't know what to tell you about your friends M1. There are many variables. Age, matching parts, condition, etc.

I just paid $500 for one from a friend. He's not a collector and had just found it when cleaning out his parent's house after his mother's death. His father had gotten it about 20 years ago and was still in the original packaging from the CMP. It was a post WWII/pre-Korean War model with mostly Springfield parts. Excellent stock, but with non-matching handguards. The bore was very good. Bluing was about 75%. Mechanically it looked to be in excellent shape. And as usual for Garands, functioned like a charm. I thought $500 was a fair price given the condition of the rifle, and the fact that I could get one from the CMP for the same amount. Happily for me, he agreed.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top