Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2013 6:48:30 PM EDT
LINK HERE

I have a line on an essentially unfired 4" S&W 586 .357 no dash built around 1983/84.  I don't think is has had the factory firing pin / bushing mod done.  I will have to look again at the frame markings.

Guy is asking 699 for it.  It is a consignment gun, so I MIGHT not be able to bargain.  That is pretty close to Gunbroker prices.  What says the hive?  Should I try to bargain him down with a cash offer or is the price good... or is the price so high that bargaining would be pointless anyway?

It looks pretty much identical to this, except it is an AAE starting serial number"

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:51:06 PM EDT
[#1]
As an M19 owner, that photo makes me happy in my pants.  In that condition, I wouldn't hesitate to pay $699 for it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:55:05 PM EDT
[#2]
If it's in fantastic condition and it's in the box and all that, you should probably just suck it up and buy it at that price.

I'm not saying that you can't do better, but probability is not in your favor.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:58:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I see used ones in ok shape around here from time to time for like $550.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:02:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If it's in fantastic condition and it's in the box and all that, you should probably just suck it up and buy it at that price.

Ok, so I might try for a little better at least to conquer the tax that will be added on.  But at that price, is it really a shooter or an investment?
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:04:31 PM EDT
[#5]
excellent choice, I got a police trade-in that was essentially un-fired for $480 last year.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:09:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, so I might try for a little better at least to conquer the tax that will be added on.  But at that price, is it really a shooter or an investment?

You said it's a consignment gun, so the owner left some kind of instructions for what his bottom dollar is. The flip side is that dealers make a percentage of the consignment, so he benefits by selling it to you for as high of a price as possible.

A classic S&W wheelgun in really good condition is definitely an investment, but I don't see any harm in shooting it, assuming it's not actually unfired. Just be reasonable with it. If you're going to get into competition shooting or backpacking or something like that, go dig up a less perfect 686.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:09:36 PM EDT
[#7]
As a general rule I try to keep my 5/686 purchases to around $500. I gave $600 for a 5" 686+, with speedloaders, holster, and ammo not too long ago.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:12:31 PM EDT
[#8]
It's about $100 too high.

But 586's are not exactly growing on trees these days.   I could very well see someone buying it for $699, but it will have to be in outstanding shape and find the right buyer.

I used to have a nice 6" 586-4.  It was a really nice gun.  Very accurate.  I miss it, but I never shot the damn thing.  So I sold it to buy a rimfire suppressor and host.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:13:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
As a general rule I try to keep my 5/686 purchases to around $500. I gave $600 for a 5" 686+, with speedloaders, holster, and ammo not too long ago.

Are your purchases FTF personal or gunstore?

I will have to look again, it may be totally unfired, I have to take a closer look at the frame for rim impacts and above the forcing cone for crud, etc.  But would I want to drop 700 on a gun that will lose value if I use it?
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:16:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will have to look again, it may be totally unfired, I have to take a closer look at the frame for rim impacts and above the forcing cone for crud, etc.  But would I want to drop 700 on a gun that will lose value if I use it?

does it have a ring on the cylinder?  that is pretty much the "it's been driven off the lot" mark for collectors that expect new.

if you spend $700, you'll lose money unless you find the right buyer.  Not much though.  You could turn that gun for $600 in a few days if you needed to.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:18:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

does it have a ring on the cylinder?  that is pretty much the "it's been driven off the lot" mark for collectors that expect new.

Faint, dry fires amount.  From my looking at it, the face of the cylinder had no wear, the matching end of the forcing cone was slick.  The chambers looks spotless with no burn lines.......  I don't THINK a gun is cleanable to that point.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:41:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's the deal, OP.

With most used guns that are still in current production, value is a function of depreciation. The value drops a bit when you carry it out the door, it drops with wear, and it drops when improved versions of the product hit the market.

Classic S&W revolvers are not exactly subject to these rules. Anything new enough to have a Hillary hole is, but pre-lock S&Ws might as well be completely different models as far as the average revolver enthusiast is concerned. The difference between older S&Ws and new production guns is almost startling. I have a 625-8 Performance Center gun and an old 17-2 .22lr. The old .22 is a much nicer gun than the 625.

So, how about that pricing? S&W seems to build revolvers (excluding J-frames) in small volumes, so they can be tough to find. If you can find a brand new 586, you're probably looking at $700+, anyways. But, for the sake of this discussion, let's say that you find a brand new 586 and a near mint 586 no-dash in the same store and at the same price. Most of us would take the old one, hands down, no dice.

But, if you're worried about hurting the value and ending up upside down in the gun, you can wait until you find one with some wear, and buy that one for a bit less.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:54:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I lucked out this last summer and picked up a no-dash 4 in. 586 with just slightly more holster wear around the barrel towards the muzzle than the one illustrated in original post.

I gave $350.00 for it out the door.  However, it came with no box or manual.  I just so happened to see it in a used gun display case in a gun store in Little Rock.  With no intention of purchasing anything that day, when the clerk told me the price, I didn't think twice.

It is far and away the most accurate handgun I have ever shot.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:54:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

All FTF. I bought a 3" 686+, with several hundred rounds of ammo for $500 a couple years ago. Both were sock drawer guns and had very little wear on them. Granted they are not as old as the one you were looking at, but pre-lock/MIM has the same value (to me) regardless if its 15 or 30 years old. I don't care about unfired either, as I buy guns to shoot. A gun I won't shoot is a gun I won't own. A non-abused, no lock Smith is going to maintain a fairly steady value even as shooters. If you are looking at a collection piece, I am probably the wrong person to ask.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:13:08 PM EDT
[#15]
There is a guy that has a ad on Armslist in my area for a 6" 586 and he wants $520 for it..and he admits it is well used.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:48:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There is a guy that has a ad on Armslist in my area for a 6" 586 and he wants $520 for it..and he admits it is well used.

Learn how to check lockup and timing.  Just do an internet search on it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:49:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Jesus, PM just offer the guy $600 then $650.  If you get it for $650 or under you got a great gun.  Then go shoot it.

The 586 loves pussycat .38spcl wadcutters.  and you will love it back.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 6:00:57 AM EDT
[#18]
When I was working at an importer, we got in a large shipment of 686's from Austria. I picked up a really nice one with tight lockup and the timing was good. It had a few tiny scratches on it. Took it apart to clean it up and the insides were remarkably clean. So I bought another one. They have been great pistols. I love them.
I had been looking for a 686 for a long time. I would love to find a 586 to go with the 2 of them.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 6:55:25 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I lucked out this last summer and picked up a no-dash 4 in. 586 with just slightly more holster wear around the barrel towards the muzzle than the one illustrated in original post.

I gave $350.00 for it out the door.  However, it came with no box or manual.  I just so happened to see it in a used gun display case in a gun store in Little Rock.  With no intention of purchasing anything that day, when the clerk told me the price, I didn't think twice.

It is far and away the most accurate handgun I have ever shot.

The $699 sticker price is a bit high factoring in tax.  I'd rather get this deal with not box or manual

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:14:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, I missed out on it....

Shucks...

But I did find a 19-3 6" for $599 that is in beautiful shape.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:20:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 3:43:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

All FTF. I bought a 3" 686+, with several hundred rounds of ammo for $500 a couple years ago. Both were sock drawer guns and had very little wear on them. Granted they are not as old as the one you were looking at, but pre-lock/MIM has the same value (to me) regardless if its 15 or 30 years old. I don't care about unfired either, as I buy guns to shoot. A gun I won't shoot is a gun I won't own. A non-abused, no lock Smith is going to maintain a fairly steady value even as shooters. If you are looking at a collection piece, I am probably the wrong person to ask.  

Two  years  ago  things  were  different . Today , $700  for  a   clean  pre-lock  5 or 686  is  a  good  deal . . . . just  ask  Phatmax .
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:51:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I paid $450 OTD for my no-dash 4" 586 a few years back. It was immaculate (but not unfired), complete with box and papers.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 8:18:53 AM EDT
[#24]

Admiring the 25-2 PM
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 9:18:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Admiring the 25-2 PM

Thanks.  That one is unfired in the presentation case.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 9:37:02 AM EDT
[#26]
586 is a sweet gun....I feel like if it's something you really want and have been looking for it's OK to pay a little more within reason......If I was happy with condition...lock up etc....I wouldn't split hairs over $50..you may have to hold onto it a little longer if you want to recoup dollar for dollar but that's only a concern if your not going to keep it for a while....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top