Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2014 7:45:27 AM EDT
I am not military but with 3000 troops being ordered to Africa to 'fight' Ebola I was wondering what is the point? It's not like you can attack a virus with ineffective drone strikes and an M16.

What will this accomplish as soldiers are not medical professionals and you are simply exposing our men and women to additional risks with little reward.

So if I was in the army and received orders to go to Africa I think I might become a conscientious objector right quick. What say the hive?

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:47:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I met one this past Saturday that's being deployed to W. Africa within the next few weeks.....He was not a happy camper.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:49:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Bring them here so they can walk around the malls for a few days and then treat them.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:50:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Fuck yea I go. As soon as I hit the ground I also fuck a monkey to guarantee that I also get Aids as well as Ebola. Let's get this party started.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:50:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I am not Military, so when did soldiers become Doctors?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:55:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

By God, you'll do as you're TOLD, troop...

(FBHO is ALWAYS the correct answer)
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:57:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Bring them here so they can walk around the malls for a few days and then treat them.
View Quote

how long beforwe a jihadi gets that idea? may be happening as we speak, but lets embrace diversity and keep those borders open, baby... cough, cough...
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:57:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote
When community organizers became President.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:10:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

how long before a jihadi gets that idea? may be happening as we speak, but lets embrace diversity and keep those borders open, baby... cough, cough...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

how long before a jihadi gets that idea? may be happening as we speak, but lets embrace diversity and keep those borders open, baby... cough, cough...

IIRC, it takes about 12 months to groom a suicide bomber for their mission. I'm assuming that a similar paradigm exists for this type of bio-suicide mission though the time frame could be compressed if the suicide bomber was already well into the indoctrination pipeline. He/ she'd just have to be re-vectored for the bio mission profile. So the short answer is that it might be happening as we write this or some time in the near future. The clown in the oval office has no fucking idea what the west is up against....or he does and is facilitating it. May God protect this nation....we're going to need it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:10:56 AM EDT
[#9]
FBHO
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:15:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

IIRC, it takes about 12 months to groom a suicide bomber for their mission. I'm assuming that a similar paradigm exists for this type of bio-suicide mission though the time frame could be compressed if the suicide bomber was already well into the indoctrination pipeline. He/ she'd just have to be re-vectored for the bio mission profile. So the short answer is that it might be happening as we write this or some time in the near future. The clown in the oval office has no fucking idea what the west is up against....or he does and is facilitating it. May God protect this nation....we're going to need it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Two Iranian nationals were arrested this week trying to enter a West Africa country on fake Isreali passports.  The above was my first thought on reading that headline.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:21:48 AM EDT
[#11]
You signed up, you'll do as you're ordered.

That being said, I'm not sure what role our guys will have over there other than security for aid workers? I really have no idea. I do know my Raider buddies are chomping at the bit to get into Africa, but that doesn't necessarily mean W. Africa to fight Ebola... But one thing is certain: Nobody wants to go back to Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:24:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Eff that. I wouldn't go there unless I was in a full biohazard suit 24-7
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:31:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Two Iranian nationals were arrested this week trying to enter a West Africa country on fake Isreali passports.  The above was my first thought on reading that headline.
View Quote

Right continent, wrong country. It was Kenya..

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:33:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Hell no I won't go
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:33:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yesterday, we were told that is a stupid fucking idea and that Ebola and Muslims don't spread that way.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:33:57 AM EDT
[#16]
This is a role for UN troops, not US.  What is their objective and how vital is that to US interests?

I'd rather see them on the border protecting the US from foreign dangers.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:37:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Snip....

Yesterday, we were told that is a stupid fucking idea and that Ebola and Muslims don't spread that way.

View Quote

Who told you that?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:41:45 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Who told you that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Snip....

Who told you that?

IIRC, the_one.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:42:21 AM EDT
[#19]
FBHO
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:48:02 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't see what authority he has to send combat troops to an area to contain disease.  The imperial presidency doesn't care about the law.  He makes them up as he s(h)its upon his sh*tter (throne).
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:49:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Fuck yea I go. As soon as I hit the ground I also fuck a monkey to guarantee that I also get Aids as well as Ebola. Let's get this party started.
View Quote

What if the cure for Ebola is Aids...
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:53:20 AM EDT
[#22]
I certainly wouldn't want to go there.
And I think it is an enormous mistake to send US anything there.
I think it is a gigantic mistake to allow people from that region to fly into the US.

That being said, if I was in the military I would do exactly what they told me to do. That is part of being in the military. In the military you don't normally take votes on IF you are going to follow orders.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:55:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Screw the monkey, then eat the monkey. That should do it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:30:45 PM EDT
[#24]
So nobody thinks the plan is to bring infected troops back home.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:36:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I haven't read anything about it, but I would guess that we are going to start pushing medical supplies and personnel into those countries.

It turns out that the US military is better at logistics than pretty much anything else, and that keeps coming in handy in places like Haiti, Indonesia, and Japan.

Now, some of you have no idea what the US military is capable of, and that's OK, but please, don't feel the need to convey your ignorance at the slights provocation.  It's tiresome.

As for the question of whether you would go.  You'd better.  If you've sworn the Oath of Enlistment or the Oath of Office you understand your responsibilities, and the consequences for willfully disobeying.

Quoted:
IIRC, it takes about 12 months to groom a suicide bomber for their mission.
View Quote

You do not recall correctly.

They are groomed for a few weeks, maybe a few months, but once they are recruited they aren't allowed to go home or see family.  They go to a safe house, make their video if appropriate, and then they get to work.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:40:03 PM EDT
[#26]
All planned to get a foot hold in Africa for its resources and labor.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:40:08 PM EDT
[#27]
The news report on the radio this afternoon said 1400 troops are being sent within the next few weeks to build hospitals, but not directly care for Ebola patients.

So who knows. .....
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:41:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, it's that or prison and a life after that as a second class felon citizen.

Not really much of a choice.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:42:20 PM EDT
[#29]
I remember when we aided the Un bringing aide and supplies into another African country. Soon we were embroiled in a war with local warlords that didn't end well. It all began in the name of protecting aide. On top of that there was only khat chewing Ak wielding skinnies and not a biblical plague.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:42:32 PM EDT
[#30]
I remember when we aided the Un bringing aide and supplies into another African country. Soon we were embroiled in a war with local warlords that didn't end well. It all began in the name of protecting aide. On top of that there was only khat chewing Ak wielding skinnies and not a biblical plague.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:42:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Hah! Jokes on him, the disease I got in Afghanistan made me permanently nondeployable.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:44:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm neither crazy nor a pussy, so...no.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:56:03 PM EDT
[#33]
I'd go. Doesn't bother me to provide security for doctors.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:00:48 PM EDT
[#34]
1. This thread has ebola, as well as aids syphillis and herpes.
2, I have a piece of paper (actually several dozen as I made lots of copies) that says I never have to wear a uniform or take orders again.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:53:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I don't see what authority he has to send combat troops to an area to contain disease.  The imperial presidency doesn't care about the law.  He makes them up as he s(h)its upon his sh*tter (throne).
View Quote

I haven't seen so much ignorance packed into a single sentence in a long time, and for GD that's saying a lot
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:54:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

coming close
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:57:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

posting it twice doesn't make it double stupid.  Beside the content is not bad, execution fails.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:06:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Wouldn't like it, but obviously go.

CIC says jump, mil says "How high, sir?".

That's the terms of enlistment.

Nick
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:08:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Community organizers and asbestos removers.  

Oh, and Constitutional scholars.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:28:21 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm going to put this as succinctly and nicely as possible, because OP is sounding like a lot of other posters at the moment:

Read a fucking book.

The relationship between the U.S. and the world is a complex one.  We are a global superpower balancing significant political, social, and economic relationships on a daily basis.  Part of that balance is projection of power while maintaining and looking after our own national interests.  Sometimes that is legitimately called into question, which is why you rarely see us put troops on the ground solely for "peacekeeping" purposes... there's chucklehead countries that are more than willing to do that to gain prestige locally, since all they have are warm bodies and no money (here's looking at you, Chad.)

But, if you think for one hot second that we are sending troops in solely to save African kids, then you really have no grasp on what is going on.  That's like saying we fought WW2 solely to save Jews.  

We are one of the few countries with the capability to project assistance in cases like this, and every major health organization in the world that has weighed in on this situation has advised of dire consequences, regionally and potentially globally, for lack of containment.  There are no models predicting major deaths in Western countries, but the economic fallout for even a minor or moderate scare will be easily estimated in the billions.

We assist and subsequently cover our own asses.  Not a difficult equation.  No doomsday nonsense.  No Illuminati crap.  No "Obama trying to save his brothahs" shit.  It's pure, unadulterated self-interest, economically and politically.  

Hell, Bush would have sent 6000 troops plus an extra carrier in case someone threw a molotov at us.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:28:44 PM EDT
[#41]
They're called "orders" not "requests".

Wouldn't be happy about it.  Would do my best to never come within 25 yds of a local.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:30:49 PM EDT
[#42]
DON'T EAT THE BUSH-MEAT!!..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top