Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/12/2013 6:45:40 AM EST
Planning on selling two of my rental properties ( one in CO and the other in FL ), and have been intrigued with this area. I need to re-invest my money, and am nervous about the future of CO and am more than likely going to begin winding down my investments in CO in the possibility that we leave CO.

The climate seems similar to western CO but looks like it gets a bit more rain, and the summers are cooler with the winters being a bit warmer.

1. What is the majority of the local economy based upon? Retirement?

2. How are the off-road and road motorcycling opportunities like?

3. I now there is a lot of hate for cyclists, but what is the road cycling like there?

4. What is the availability of house & land within 10-15 miles of Prescott?

5. How bad are the "illegals" in this part of the state?

That's it off the top of my head. I'm sure I'll come up with some more questions....
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:46:11 AM EST
Arizona got the best score on the Brady Campaigns recent scorecard.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:49:48 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Undefined:
Arizona got the best score on the Brady Campaigns recent scorecard.
View Quote

I'll be honest, the gun laws, while important, aren't my motivating factor. I certainly won't move to a place worse than CO.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:50:28 AM EST
Not sure about the economy.

It's great for off roading and cycling. It's a fairly short drive to the Sonoran Desert where there is shit tons of BLM land to off road, shoot, camp, whatever.

Overall I really liked it (just visited).
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:51:28 AM EST
Ruger is There.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:54:26 AM EST
Are you going to live there?I'm more of a Pine/Strawberry guy,but it's tough to find work up there.Prescott is a little big for me.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:55:20 AM EST
Originally Posted By TheGunCollector:
Planning on selling two of my rental properties ( one in CO and the other in FL ), and have been intrigued with this area. I need to re-invest my money, and am nervous about the future of CO and am more than likely going to begin winding down my investments in CO in the possibility that we leave CO.

The climate seems similar to western CO but looks like it gets a bit more rain, and the summers are cooler with the winters being a bit warmer.

1. What is the majority of the local economy based upon? Retirement?

2. How are the off-road and road motorcycling opportunities like?

3. I now there is a lot of hate for cyclists, but what is the road cycling like there?

4. What is the availability of house & land within 10-15 miles of Prescott?

5. How bad are the "illegals" in this part of the state?

That's it off the top of my head. I'm sure I'll come up with some more questions....
View Quote

I'm going to be offline right now for a while but I've been living in Prescott AZ since 1978.
If you still have any questions when I get back I'll pipe up.....
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:57:55 AM EST
Not much going on economy-wise. Kind of dead in the water with a few local companies that provide jobs (like Ruger). LOTS of great road and mtn cycling. While ARFCOM and the rest of the US may hate us, AZ tends to be pretty cyclist friendly in my experience. There is a big mountain bike race in april every year called The Whiskey 50 thats always a blast.

Its small townish. Weather's real decent, good riding.

Check out Flagstaff if you do rental properties. Far better road and mountain biking, alot more going on in the town, and the NAU is growing, so if you're a rental property guy theres a large transient(student) population and thus high demand for a lot of rentals. Only downside is they have real winter. It snows there.

If you're looking for a quiet little place to retire, where nothing ever happens, Prescott. If you're looking for a nice little city/town with some culture and a younger scene, check out Flag.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:02:20 AM EST
Originally Posted By bluetick357:
Are you going to live there?I'm more of a Pine/Strawberry guy,but it's tough to find work up there.Prescott is a little big for me.
View Quote

That's the plan. I'm self employed - so I'll either continue to buy rental properties, or purchase an existing business. Wife is an attorney.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:06:23 AM EST
Originally Posted By GrahamD:
Not much going on economy-wise. Kind of dead in the water with a few local companies that provide jobs (like Ruger). LOTS of great road and mtn cycling. While ARFCOM and the rest of the US may hate us, AZ tends to be pretty cyclist friendly in my experience. There is a big mountain bike race in april every year called The Whiskey 50 thats always a blast.

Check out Flagstaff if you do rental properties. Far better road and mountain biking, alot more going on in the town, and the NAU is growing, so if you're a rental property guy theres a large transient(student) population and thus high demand for a lot of rentals. Only downside is they have real winter. It snows there.

If you're looking for a quiet little place to retire, where nothing ever happens, Prescott. If you're looking for a nice little city/town with some culture and a younger scene, check out Flag.
View Quote

Thanks for the info. One of the bigger reasons Prescott is appealing to us is the proximity to Phoenix and direct flights. Flagstaff seems to have about the same weather as where we are in western CO, and although I'm still young ( 37 ) I think that if we do end up leaving here, I'd like to try a place with a bit less winter.

Would you say that Flagstaff is more "mountainy" than Prescott?

Right now I'm just going by pics on Google. Prescott seems similar to where we are now, topographically.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:09:10 AM EST
Ruger is over there iirc. They also have a cool car show.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:10:42 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/12/2013 7:17:34 AM EST by bluetick357]

Thanks for the info. One of the bigger reasons Prescott is appealing to us is the proximity to Phoenix and direct flights. Flagstaff seems to have about the same weather as where we are in western CO, and although I'm still young ( 37 ) I think that if we do end up leaving here, I'd like to try a place with a bit less winter.

Right now I'm just going by pics on Google. Prescott seems similar to where we are now, topographically.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GrahamD:

Flag is more forest,Prescott is more high desert-ish.Payson is another nice place.ETA..Payson reminds me more of western CO than anywhere else.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:13:37 AM EST
Make sure you pronounce it press-kit and not press-scot.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:22:54 AM EST
Prescott is a retirement community, with an economy to match.

If you want to road bike, live in PHX. Arizona is mountain bike land for the most part. PHX, Prescott, Flagstaff, and Sedona all have a great network of trails. I'm a Flagstaffrican, so I can't ride up here now, but Sedona is a mere 30 mile drive away.

If you want to offroad or motorcycle, Prescott is good. Anything you'd ever want in a 90 mile ring.

Overall, for a sportsman or outdoor enthusiast, Arizona is God's land. It really is, but in places like Prescott or Flag, you have problems with high cost of living and flaccid economies.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:27:43 AM EST
As long as you ride your bike on the sidewalk and pay Rizzo his ammo tax you should be gtg.

Also, pics of wife before the move.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:36:32 AM EST
Originally Posted By PovertySandwich:

If you want to road bike, live in PHX. Arizona is mountain bike land for the most part. PHX, Prescott, Flagstaff, and Sedona all have a great network of trails. I'm a Flagstaffrican, so I can't ride up here now, but Sedona is a mere 30 mile drive away.

If you want to offroad or motorcycle, Prescott is good. Anything you'd ever want in a 90 mile ring.

Overall, for a sportsman or outdoor enthusiast, Arizona is God's land. It really is, but in places like Prescott or Flag, you have problems with high cost of living and flaccid economies.
View Quote

Meaning? Is it depressed? Is it affordable?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:37:30 AM EST
Arizona is full. Sorry, too late.

(Unless you already have the 5 illegals and/or 3 hippies picked that are going to move to CO to offset you.)

((Whatever you do, don't forget Rizzo's ammo tax. He'll even try to collect from people born here!))
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:38:31 AM EST
What is Rizzo ammo tax
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:41:29 AM EST
Originally Posted By SoCalJBT:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SoCalJBT:
Originally Posted By PovertySandwich:

Depressed, mostly with low paying service jobs. A lot of guys I know in PHX said they'd love to live in Prescott, it's just that there's no jobs, and the ones that are up there pay dirt money.

If you're retired/independently wealthy/work remotely, you'd be okay, but for everybody else, good luck.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:45:34 AM EST
look into walker. Tall pines. 15 minutes to downtown prescott. totally different climate. It you like that woodsy sort of thing. :)
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:54:09 AM EST
I live in Prescott and I drive a lifted FJ Cruiser. The 4x4 opportunites around here are pretty great. I am out almost every weekend to Sedona, Binghampton or some other locale to do some wheeling. Prescott is not known for good dining, as most of the restaurants are MEH. The cost of living is relatively cheap. The climate is ok. We are usually 15-20 degrees cooler than phoenix. Winters aren't bad, occasional snow and cold, but nothing like CO. Summers are hot, but nothing like Phoenix. If you like hanging out with people at random events, the Downtown, throughout the summer, host a nightly concert, book reading, karaoke sing along, etc at the courthouse. Every. Single. Night.

Almost every weekend throughout the summer and some in the winter, there is something going on at the Square in downtown Prescott. I live up by the Granite Dells and I love it. There is great short hiking trails all over the place. The people are friendly, except me, and the crime rate seems pretty low. There are quite a few retirees around here.

Gun stores are pretty Fudd based. Honestly, the gun stores here are pretty worthless.

Bucky O'neills blows. They are a weird bunch. They don't price most of the guns, so have to look it up on the internet every time you want to know the price. Irritating as heck
High Country is ok, but they are mostly a fudd store, no parts, nothing really exciting. They probably have better prices.
The two shops in PV are ok, One has a shooting range, but not a lot of inventory. The other has inventory, but kind of shady.

The nice thing is, you can drive out of town a few miles and find places to shoot, expecially out towards Skull Valley.

It is a nice mix of Forest, desert, small town atmosphere. The wheeling isn't as good as Moab, but it has other charms.

Also, Phoenix is 90 min away and Flagstaff is too. Sedona is an hour and the hiking there is incredible, if not crowded.

If you have any other questions, let me knnow.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:59:49 AM EST
Prescott is really nice; high elevation; I was there for a weekend and really enjoyed it. It's very similar to CO; plus we're no.1 for gun rights.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:46:18 AM EST
Originally Posted By aardvark_ratnick:
Make sure you pronounce it press-kit and not press-scot.
View Quote
i go with press-cut. just to annoy both sides.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:55:38 AM EST
I lived there for five years and plan to retire there. Beautiful and great in many ways.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:57:20 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/12/2013 8:59:08 AM EST by SnoopisTDI]
I'd love to live there, but couldn't afford it. Basically, there are just enough California implants to jack up the cost of housing, but not enough to provide any decent jobs.

I lived there for four years while going to school and hope to end up living there again some day. Like others have said, decent little town, lots of outdoors stuff to do. Just not a lot of work.

ETA Forgot to mention Prescott Brewing Company... that place alone is reason enough to live there.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:05:57 AM EST
Originally Posted By cssalabama:
What is Rizzo ammo tax
View Quote

Any outsider moving AZ has to pay a tax to Rizzo. In his case he only accepts ammo. Think of it as a hall pass and Rizzo as the hall monitor.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:27:55 AM EST
J&G is there!
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:35:26 AM EST
You all think the cost of living here is high? Wow. I went in to pay my tax bill this year, and the lady asked if I wanted to pay half year payments, I just laughed and said no... My tax bill was half what I was used to paying.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:39:06 AM EST
I liked Flagstaff. That is all.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:39:29 AM EST
Louis Awerbuck lives there, I think. So I would assume it's awesome.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:41:52 AM EST
Gunsite with a large proshop, very good gunsmith shop. Not much nightlife.
Someone please update on the nightlife?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:48:27 AM EST
Originally Posted By Tipy:
Gunsite with a large proshop, very good gunsmith shop. Not much nightlife.
Someone please update on the nightlife?
View Quote

Whiskey row,
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:48:30 AM EST
Embry-Riddle! The problem with this school is that aviation fields of study see overwhelmingly male enrollment. Ergo, nightlife fail.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:14:10 AM EST
A portion of my family emigrated there from the East Coast (after they realized Phoenix was the surface of the sun their first summer) in the early 1970's and has done very well with their businesses and homes in Prescott and Prescott Valley.

It's very nice and if I had it to do again, my wife and I should have went there in the early 1990's after I left the military and before becoming established in my chosen career.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:34:12 AM EST
I live in Prescott and love it, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.
Phoenix is way to hot in the summer and Flagstaff is way to cold in the winter.
Lots of places to off road mountain bike, many many trails in the area.
While there are some bike lanes on the local streets (not a lot though), road biking in the city is something I don't do much of.
For as long as I've lived here (35 years) Prescott has mostly been a retirement town. While it's growing, you pretty much better have your ducks in a row when it comes to income.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:36:24 AM EST
Are class 3 weapons allowed in the state
Is there a state income tax
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:38:32 AM EST
Originally Posted By cssalabama:
Are class 3 weapons allowed in the state Yes.
Is there a state income tax Yes.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:43:09 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/12/2013 11:45:17 AM EST by 25Chuck]
Originally Posted By BuckGodot:
I live in Prescott and I drive a lifted FJ Cruiser. The 4x4 opportunites around here are pretty great. I am out almost every weekend to Sedona, Binghampton or some other locale to do some wheeling. Prescott is not known for good dining, as most of the restaurants are MEH. The cost of living is relatively cheap. The climate is ok. We are usually 15-20 degrees cooler than phoenix. Winters aren't bad, occasional snow and cold, but nothing like CO. Summers are hot, but nothing like Phoenix. If you like hanging out with people at random events, the Downtown, throughout the summer, host a nightly concert, book reading, karaoke sing along, etc at the courthouse. Every. Single. Night.

Almost every weekend throughout the summer and some in the winter, there is something going on at the Square in downtown Prescott. I live up by the Granite Dells and I love it. There is great short hiking trails all over the place. The people are friendly, except me, and the crime rate seems pretty low. There are quite a few retirees around here.

Gun stores are pretty Fudd based. Honestly, the gun stores here are pretty worthless.

Bucky O'neills blows. They are a weird bunch. They don't price most of the guns, so have to look it up on the internet every time you want to know the price. Irritating as heck
High Country is ok, but they are mostly a fudd store, no parts, nothing really exciting. They probably have better prices.
The two shops in PV are ok, One has a shooting range, but not a lot of inventory. The other has inventory, but kind of shady.

The nice thing is, you can drive out of town a few miles and find places to shoot, expecially out towards Skull Valley.

It is a nice mix of Forest, desert, small town atmosphere. The wheeling isn't as good as Moab, but it has other charms.

Also, Phoenix is 90 min away and Flagstaff is too. Sedona is an hour and the hiking there is incredible, if not crowded.

View Quote

Check out Bill's Trading Post on White Spar, hands down my favorite gun shop. Just be aware that he only takes cash or check.

I hear Tombstone Tactical in Chino is pretty nice also.

ETA: I've found plenty of very excellent restaurants, I wouldn't call any of them "fancy" or elegant but I find nothing lacking in the food.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:49:51 AM EST
Originally Posted By 25Chuck:

Check out Bill's Trading Post on White Spar, hands down my favorite gun shop. Just be aware that he only takes cash or check. And don't use foul language or you'll find yourself on the street permanently....

ETA: I've found plenty of very excellent restaurants, I wouldn't call any of them "fancy" or elegant but I find nothing lacking in the food.
View All Quotes

Check out Bill's Trading Post on White Spar, hands down my favorite gun shop. Just be aware that he only takes cash or check. And don't use foul language or you'll find yourself on the street permanently....

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:54:10 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/12/2013 11:58:24 AM EST by 25Chuck]

1. What is the majority of the local economy based upon? Retirement? Tourism, Retirement, and some small industries (Ruger and Lockheed come to mind). The saying goes, if you want a good job in Prescott, you'd better bring it with you.

2. How are the off-road and road motorcycling opportunities like? Lots of Mountain Bike, motorcycle, and off road trails but I'm not into that so I can't speak to how good they are. Seems to be at least one crowd drawing mountain bike race a month during the summer.

3. I now there is a lot of hate for cyclists, but what is the road cycling like there? There is a fairly sizable Hippy/Hipster community so we have a fair number of bike lanes and I often see folks in full road bike regalia on HWY 89. Again, I'm not into it but I can't say I've noticed much hate toward them.

4. What is the availability of house & land within 10-15 miles of Prescott? I'm not in the market but, from talking to friends, it seems that a lot of the good foreclosure deals have been snatched up recently. However, there are still plenty of land/houses available and prices have dropped substantially since I moved to the area 8 years ago. I'm partial to the Williamson Valley/Outer Loop Road area.

5. How bad are the "illegals" in this part of the state? Not bad at all anymore, I certainly wouldn't worry about it. Most left when all the construction jobs disappeared.

View Quote

Answers in red, hope this helps.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:54:57 AM EST
Originally Posted By AZ_Sky:

View All Quotes

Ain't that the truth! He's definitely "old school" but in a good way.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:06:35 PM EST
I grew up in the Prescott area.

Prescott was formerly the "no shit" best place to live in America.

Then it turned into a decent-sized city with a metro area that stretches from Humboldt through PV into Prescott and out into Chino Valley as well. These guys calling Prescott a "small town" are probably from LA or something, because Prescott has not been a small town since about 1980. One day in the 1960s a guy named Normon Fain had a bad indigestion dream and woke up with an idea called "Prescott Valley."

That was before me but it was the beginning of the end.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:06:59 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/12/2013 12:10:58 PM EST by WindKnot1-1]
I live in Prescott and love it, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.
Phoenix is way to hot in the summer and Flagstaff is way to cold in the winter.
Lots of places to off road mountain bike, many many trails in the area.
While there are some bike lanes on the local streets (not a lot though), road biking in the city is something I don't do much of.
For as long as I've lived here (35 years) Prescott has mostly been a retirement town. While it's growing, you pretty much better have your ducks in a row when it comes to income.
View Quote

I'm retired and love it here. If I didn't have a reliable income it would be dicey. We have pine forests bordering the town on the south side, grasslands around the rest with woodlands close by. I'm not directly in Prescott (NEVER pronounce it PreSCOTT, you'll be run out of town...) but the area has lots of hunting and trail riding all around. If you like the outdoors as opposed to concerts with mega-stars, it's great here. We do have entertainment, but it's definitely not Phoenix. We do have a minor league hockey team here.

Major entertainment is Phoenix, skiing is Flagstaff. Both are about 90 minutes from here in opposite directions. Gunsite as mentioned is north of here closeby. We do have an airport that has connections to Denver and LAX. Unless we're flying to those places, we pretty much just take the shuttle to Phoenix.

I love it here. There's LOTS of wildlife close by. There's a fairly large population of Pronghorn that live here and there are elk and deer here too. Fly fishing is iffy, but Lee's Ferry isn't that far away. Right now I actually have a juvenile Bald Eagle hanging around here.

Housing runs the whole gambit from mobile homes to Rolex Ranches to condos. Hospital care is okay, but accident trauma or serious medical stuff goes to Phoenix or Flagstaff.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:09:28 PM EST

View All Quotes

Bill is a great guy. He just doesn't tolerate rude behavior.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:13:19 PM EST
Originally Posted By WindKnot1-1:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WindKnot1-1:
SNIP

You'd never catch me saying otherwise, he's done me plenty of favors over the years.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:24:23 PM EST
You could always go to work for the Highway Patrol there. No background check, no waiting.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:28:06 PM EST
A taupey mauve summer sunset, a gentle desert breeze off the high chaparral with the kiss of a fragrant yucca blossom in full bloom.
Yes Prescott is all this and much, much more.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:37:08 PM EST
Originally Posted By Seneca-Cayuga:
You could always go to work for the Highway Patrol there. No background check, no waiting.
View Quote

Is that some kind of inside joke? AZ Highway Patrol, according to their website, does a full background investigation including a polygraph and psych eval.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:40:32 PM EST
Originally Posted By bluetick357:
View Quote

I was looking around Chino Valley-Paulden, then my Wife got Cancer and everything changed......
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:41:32 PM EST
Originally Posted By dbrowne1:

Is that some kind of inside joke? AZ Highway Patrol, according to their website, does a full background investigation including a polygraph and psych eval.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dbrowne1:
Originally Posted By Seneca-Cayuga:

They just fired one of their officers who was found out to be an illegal alien.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:43:02 PM EST
My dad and grandmother live there. It's pretty awesome.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top