Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/2/2006 1:25:33 AM EDT
In my neck of the woods Home invasion is a big, big Crime that is trendy right now. I dont want loaded guns in every room becuase of children. I have some pepper gas with velcro by the front door.
We also Have a hard wired alarm system too.

Anything else or tips to stop,deter, survive a home invasion.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:26:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By goodoleboy:
In my neck of the woods Home invasion is a big, big Crime that is trendy right now. I dont want loaded guns in every room becuase of children. I have some pepper gas with velcro by the front door.

Rainbow bumper stickers.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:33:18 AM EDT
Get, memorize, and practice the Home Alone series of movies some good items in there esp. the board with nails
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:37:03 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:39:42 AM EDT
The goal is to delay entry, so anything you can do to slow them down will help. A heavy screen door is a start, along with a steel door and jam. The longer they take to get in, the more time you have to break out the heavy artillery.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:39:57 AM EDT
You need to have a gun and ammo ready to go, find a way to keep the kids from getting them both together. You DO NOT WANT someone in your house and your guns being locked up where they are usless.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:41:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mattja:
The goal is to delay entry, so anything you can do to slow them down will help. A heavy screen door is a start, along with a steel door and jam. The longer they take to get in, the more time you have to break out the heavy artillery.

+1 I have 2 large dogs that will give me more than enough time.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:42:39 AM EDT

A holster.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:12:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/2/2006 2:13:18 AM EDT by MOD4SA]
Punji traps around windows, trip wires at doors with FB's, razor tape around house and sandbag emplacements, Recordings of large dogs on pa speakers in the house then put signs in front yard never mind the dog beware of the owner! Get some minefield signs Too.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:30:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/2/2006 2:40:25 AM EDT by QUIB]
Heavy screen/security doors, front and back. Train the family to keep doors secure at all times.

Pepper spray by the door is not a bad idea, I have the same, just in case.

+1 for: Large dog. I have a GSD that will eat any home intruder. I also have warning signs that my house is K9 protected. People think it’s a joke until I let my GSD answer the door! I’ve actually had people literally jump off my porch because they assumed the warning sign was a hoax. Most solicitors I turn away horrified from the dog, plus I can’t hear a damn thing they’re saying anyway through the security door glass and over the barking of the dog.

Security lights front and back, out of hands reach so they can not be disabled.

A pistol locked in a handgun safe will keep the kids safe and in the event the above items slow down or prevent the invasion, will afford you time to retrieve it.

Get in the habit at night before bed of performing a security sweep of the house. Check the security of doors/windows, check front and back yards for suspicious activity.

Keep your home security weapon at your bedside at night along with a cell phone incase phone lines are cut.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:37:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/2/2006 3:12:49 AM EDT by RIA45ACP]
Solid doors, good deadbolt locks, screen doors that lock. If for some reason I have kids in my house and have all my regular house guns put away, I holster one so its never out of reach. I have dogs as well, so no one no matter how good or quiet they might be no one gets close without getting barked at.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:37:45 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:39:02 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:10:30 AM EDT
Claymores. Lots and lots of claymores.

Make your entrance hard to get into. My living room was such a mess that if anyone broke in, I'd have time to open my safe, get out the ammunition, open the other safe, get out a gun, load a few magazines, take a leak, go upstairs, and open fire on them before they made it into the hallway.

Staying armed at all times can't hurt, either. I kept my carry gun in my pocket at all times except when sleeping, when it went under my pillow.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:07:45 AM EDT
For you guys that have big man-eating dogs, i think that you might be a little optimistic. The way that a dog behaves when his master is home is totally different than how he'll behave when he's alone and confronted by two male animals (BG) that each have 50 lbs on him and are moving confidently through your house. Unless he is cornered then he will likely retreat.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:14:27 AM EDT
have a phone on hand; dogs; sturdy doors and locks; neighbors--keep an eye out on each other; make sure that you can see outside your home/door with out being seen or possibly being hurt

get a gun-- biggest one you can handle w/ sufficent firepower--AR or shotgun would be my bets
train and practice w/ em

sorry, i cant say that they would be safe with kids around, but neither are home invaders who decide to stay a while....

carry a gun and phone, always; good, reliable, good sized caliber (9mm or bigger) pistol

have a plan could not hurt (like a designated fall back place, like for fires); getting help/the word out and keeping the family is safe, not engaging in a firefight, so watch your priorities

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:21:09 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:27:19 AM EDT
A good dog is a good first step. When I'm not home , and it's just the wife and kids, my German Sheperd/Rotttie will not let anyone in the house. My oldest son came barging thruogh the front door one night, soaked from rain, wearing a friends coat, and Buddy damn near ate him alive. My wife had to pull him off 'till he realized who it was.
Step 2,as has been said, a holster. I always have a gun either on my hip or on the table next to me. The wife has one at all times I'm not home.

This neighborhood is going down hill fast. We hope to be able to sell this place in about a year and move to to somewhere farther away from "civilization."

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:46:00 AM EDT
Open a 24/7 Dunkin Donuts Shop in your front yard...

...if local ordinances and subdivision restrictions permit.

Eric The(No?)Hun
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:18:48 AM EDT

The key thing to avoiding home invasion it to not sell cocaine.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:31:47 AM EDT
I don't worry about it. You never hear about it in my part of the world unless it involves one drug dealer knocking off another drug dealer for product or cash.If I wanted to live in 24/7 fear of that,I'd move 4 hours away to NYC,which I have no intention of doing.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:38:34 AM EDT
Seriously, you do not want to be taking on home invaders with pepper spray. People who break into occupied homes are probably going to be ready for confrontation and armed. I am not an expert on Texas law but I believe you have the right to protect yourself against intruders, prepare accordingly within the law. If you are concerned about your kids getting to your firearms, keep the gun on you. There is nothing wrong with carrying a gun. Lots of people do it, you are the one who has to protect your family so you need to figure out the best way to do it. Remember a handgun is only good to fight your way back to a long arm so have a strategy. You are far better off with a rifle or shotgun. Home invaders will probably have them, they are prepared for a gun fight. Most importantly if you are serious about protecting your family get some training. Most people think they are a lot better than they really are. I train tactical shooting 3 hours a week and it is very helpful showing me my limitations and what I need to work on. I don't know about where you live but the home invasions that I have heard about here are usually extremely violent. If you expect to survive one you need to prepare accordingly. Even if you secure your home it can take a long time for a response. Sometimes when they are real busy the police even have to drop calls. Personally I am really not comfortable with begging for my family's lives as a home defense strategy.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:46:38 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:14:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/2/2006 6:15:47 AM EDT by Johninaustin]
Stop living the thug lifestyle, quit selling crack, and don't advertise that you have several thousand guns.

That should pretty much cover it. Forget about the pepper spray unless you plan on torturing the mailman.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:29:12 AM EDT
I have a remington 870 and AL baseball bat in the front closet near the door.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:36:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:36:45 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:40:17 AM EDT
Step 1:

Step 2:

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:42:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/2/2006 6:44:10 AM EDT by bulldog1967]

Originally Posted By curt:
For you guys that have big man-eating dogs, i think that you might be a little optimistic. The way that a dog behaves when his master is home is totally different than how he'll behave when he's alone and confronted by two male animals (BG) that each have 50 lbs on him and are moving confidently through your house. Unless he is cornered then he will likely retreat.

The dog is first a furry ALARM, and secondarily a deterrent (sp?)

Don't worry about my dogs.....worry about ME!

My dog WON'T retreat...and will lay down his life for me.

Trust me.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:57:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By goodoleboy: Anything else or tips to stop,deter, survive a home invasion.
Put a lot of hedges/bushes along the walls of your house that have thorns or are generally annoying to hide/climb. There's nothing a thief hates more than tripping into/out of a window. Lights with movement sensors aimed down to sover the ground between your house and property like work too, some of them have solar/battery back-up too.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:57:31 AM EDT
1. A gun placed within three feet of you at all times. Simply divide the square footage of your house by 200 and that will tell you how many guns you need, sprinkled around.
2. 2-4 dogs, large breed
3. Heavy wood doors
4. Bars on the windows
5. Bright floodlights on the exterior
6. Alarm system
7. Deadbolts on all of the doors to the bedrooms
8. 15 foot fence around perimiter of the house
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:19:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bulldog1967:

Originally Posted By curt:

The dog is first a furry ALARM, and secondarily a deterrent (sp?)

Don't worry about my dogs.....worry about ME!

My dog WON'T retreat...and will lay down his life for me.

Trust me.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:23:05 AM EDT
Thats why i carry it on me even at home!! it can be loaded, accesible and safe from children etc. all at the same time.

Problem solved.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:24:06 AM EDT
Thats why i carry it on me even at home!! it can be loaded, accesible and safe from children etc. all at the same time.

Problem solved.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:24:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Wave:
big ass dogs!

+1. Nothing says "don't even think about it" like a bark from a well trained Pit Bull.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:28:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Dry_Sack:
1. A gun placed within three feet of you at all times. Simply divide the square footage of your house by 200 and that will tell you how many guns you need, sprinkled around.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:36:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MOD4SA:
Punji traps around windows, trip wires at doors with FB's, razor tape around house and sandbag emplacements, Recordings of large dogs on pa speakers in the house then put signs in front yard never mind the dog beware of the owner! Get some minefield signs Too.hug.gif

You might get better answers in the survival forum. Seems a lot of douchbags reply here in GD with wise ass remarks.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:43:32 AM EDT
Survival Forum
Do it up broham.
And ignore the s
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:44:04 AM EDT
When me and my homies are preparing for a home invasion,we watch the place for a few days,and then.....What? oh......never mind.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:46:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bitwyze:

Originally Posted By MOD4SA:
Punji traps around windows, trip wires at doors with FB's, razor tape around house and sandbag emplacements, Recordings of large dogs on pa speakers in the house then put signs in front yard never mind the dog beware of the owner! Get some minefield signs Too.

You might get better answers in the survival forum. Seems a lot of douchbags reply here in GD with wise ass remarks.

Welcome to ARFCOM....NEWB!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:57:35 AM EDT
a link to a home invasion thread

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=123&t=400618

This topic has been discussed in the survival forum alot. Do a search for home invasion, lots of good info.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:57:48 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:17:47 AM EDT
Metal clad door, preferably over a solid wood core - metal over reinforced foam isn't bad (bounces when you hit it) but it lacks mass, and, as us fans of the .45 know, mass is everything!

Don;t have a big window in the front door. If you do, use a "double key" deadbolt - that way, if the BG's pop your window, they still can't unlock the door.

Replace the small & dinky POS screws that hold your hinges and knob & deadbolt strikes (the brass/steel plates the bolt goes into) in place. Usually they come with 3/4"-1" #8 screws.

Replace these with 2 1/2" -3" hardened #8 wood screws - you can get 'em pretty much everywhere.

The goal of this is to make the door frame a solid part of the structure of the building. The only thing holding your door in place right now is a handful of finish nails and some wedges. Either the frame, the hinges, or the strike plates could fail if kicked. Replacing the above mentioned screws will do a lot towards slowing down a door kick.

A few more possibilities include:

additional deadbolt on the hinge side
FOX brand "police lock":

Tango7 (FF/medic w/ a fair amunt of forcible entry experience)
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:45:00 AM EDT
They make pepper spray booby traps. Open the door and get hosed with an entire canister of the stuff. Some models hold more than one canister and reset after a few seconds; that way if the bad guy is still there or comes back he gets hosed again.

I'd just get a good alarm system, one or two dogs (at least one big one for deterrence and either another big one as backup or a little yappy thing to wake you up), a handgun with a light attached, and maybe plant some thick shrubs or rose bushes under your windows.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:49:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 82ndAbn:
A detective friend of mine suggested placing alarm company stickers on a couple of windows & doors. He said it would help deter run-of-the-mill, amateur burglars / home invaders (which most actually are).

An excellent suggestion.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:50:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By npd233:

A holster.

gotta go with this answer. I carry at all times, unless I'm sleeping, in which case a loaded pistol is only an arm's length away.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:46:04 AM EDT
Why are you so afraid of your kids getting into your guns?

Educate them on them, and take them shooting. The curiosity will soon wear off, and they won't feel the urge to go play with the guns once they know what they are like.

Hell, when I was eight, I had access to every loaded gun in the house and knew how to load them all. But I was educated on them, so I never played with them or touched them without asking dad first.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:57:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/2/2006 12:16:29 PM EDT by Robert2011]

Get a few of the small $60 handgun safes with electronic keypads. Put one in each room where you or your wife spend a lot of time. The kitchen, family room, living room, and bedroom come to mind. One in the master bath would be a good move too.

ETA: No matter how responsible your children are with guns, their friends might not be. Safes are the best way to deny little visitors access.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:04:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dajini:
Why are you so afraid of your kids getting into your guns?

Educate them on them, and take them shooting. The curiosity will soon wear off, and they won't feel the urge to go play with the guns once they know what they are like.

Hell, when I was eight, I had access to every loaded gun in the house and knew how to load them all. But I was educated on them, so I never played with them or touched them without asking dad first.

My son SBK has been my backup since he was about 7 or 8.

He's been shooting for years, knows how and WHEN to break out a loaded weapon.

Your kids can be the same way. the "forbidden fruit" arguement does in fact hold water. Remove your firearms fromt he forbiddin fruit list, and put them in the "power tool" category where they belong.

Ops
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:37:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DirtyDan:
Get, memorize, and practice the Home Alone series of movies some good items in there esp. the board with nails

Seriously,

If you feel uncomfortable especially at night buy or strap your holstered handgun like a keltec or a snubnose 38. on.

Everyone will get used to it in a short period of time.

Had to do it a few years back when our family was helping to proscecute a crimminal that was out on bond.

Sometimes on the weekend at night if there is a lot of sherriff's sirens going off down the road or the local dogs in the area are alerting even though I live in the country I still might go and stick a pistol on my belt.

Also periodically I go take care of or check my animals at night and I never go outside after darkwithout a firearm and stout flashlight.

It will give you peace of mind especially if you live in a high crime area.

Good Hunting!!!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:35:49 PM EDT
Don't open the door unless you know who it is.

Anything else (locks,dogs,concertina wire,etc) just buys you time to get to get to your gun (which should be on your hip)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top