Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2006 4:36:37 AM EDT
I'm looking for a good prepaid cell phone and SERVICE.
I want to keep a cell phone in my bay boat at all times. I don't need a fancy phone, hell I cant figure out how to use all the functions.

I just need a reliable service, basic phone.

I won't talk on the phone but 100 minutes a year, at best.

Recommendations?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:18:04 AM EDT
[#1]
The cheapest prepay I've heard yet is the Virgin phones purchased online, as low as $20 for the phone and as little as $20 minimum minutes purchase every three months.
--------
The catch with prepays is that the coverage can be really poor, or (if it has to constantly connect through other systems) the cost per min can get really a lot higher than you expect. Search around online and study the coverage of any company you consider very carefully.

The upshot of the monthly plans is that they charge a lot more, but the service coverage tends to be a lot better.
~

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:27:53 AM EDT
[#2]
trac fon(e)
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:37:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Verizon has great coverage.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:40:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
trac fon(e)

My friend only used prepaid and loved trac fone
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:22:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The cheapest prepay I've heard yet is the Virgin phones purchased online, as low as $20 for the phone and as little as $20 minimum minutes purchase every three months.
--------
The catch with prepays is that the coverage can be really poor, or (if it has to constantly connect through other systems) the cost per min can get really a lot higher than you expect. Search around online and study the coverage of any company you consider very carefully.

The upshot of the monthly plans is that they charge a lot more, but the service coverage tends to be a lot better.
~

+1 and on Virgin Wireless the unused minutes keep rolling over and accumulating.

Last May (2005) when I made my usual, every three months, $20 minimum purchase the system set the next "top up" date to May of 2006.  I'm still working off of the minutes that had been accumulated over the prior 12 months or so that I had the phone.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:27:33 AM EDT
[#6]

I helped a friend pick his out, and NET 10 beat them all by far.  TracFone didn't even come close.

$30 for 300 minutes, have to purchase every two months, minutes roll over.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the input Gentlemen!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:33:16 AM EDT
[#8]
My T-Mobile pre-paid has been great.  My wife has Virgin Mobile which is also great but more expensive.

GunLvr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top