Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2001 11:52:23 PM EDT
I just purchase a barreled preban upper for my preban lower.  The barrel is 11.5" with a 5" flash hider threaded on to make the legal 16" rifle length.  Now for the question of the day:

Does the flash hider (or any compensator) have to be premanently affixed (i.e., welded) for a preban config?  I know for postbans, the attachment have to be permanent.

TIA for any feedback or info.
Link Posted: 3/1/2001 4:34:48 AM EDT
[#1]
No, the attachment does not have to be permanently affixed on a preban. It is perfectly fine for the flash hider or whatever to screw off, that is what it was intended to do.

However, if it is a short barrel, less than 16", and it is using that attachment to put it over the legal length (much as the 11.5" with 5" flash hider) then the attachment must be permanent. Once something is permanently attached they consider it part of the barrel when measuring it for legal length. Hope that helps.

Michael
Link Posted: 3/3/2001 4:08:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Hopeless,

Ponyboy is completely correct. A muzzle attachment does not have to be permanent on a Pre Ban. However, unless you want to apply for a short barreled rifle license/permit, the FS would need to be permanently attached to make the barrel length 16".

Of course if your lower was a [i]pistol[/i] lower then that would be different.

Bushmaster has a note to this effect on their website in the pre ban upper section concerning the 11.5 and 14.5" barrels.

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top