Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2001 8:34:51 PM EDT
I recently purchased an SKS. I checked the Serial Number and discovered it was made in China in 1968. Now, I need to know when it was imported. Is there any website I can visit to check this information ? I then came upon this.

In May of 1994, facing criticism over the renewal of Most Favored Nation trading status for the PRC, President Bill Clinton banned the importation of "munitions" from China under the Arms Export Act.

"Munitions" is defined in the July 22, 1993 Federal Register as all firearms except "non-combat" shotguns and black powder guns, and all
ammunition and components except for shotgun shells.
View Quote

I am not sure if it is true, but how would this affect the 1989 Ban. If all Chinese SKSes are banned from importation, would a Chinese SKS imported before 1989 be considered a Pre-Ban.

As for the '94 Ban, I figure it wasn't ever in Pre-Ban configuration since it has matching numbers.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 8:49:04 PM EDT
[#1]
its pretty safe to say, you can do nothing with your SKS that hasnt been done. it most likley was imported post 94 anyhow.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 10:04:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

And, the problem is: you have to be able to PROVE that your rifle was IMPORTED before the ban.  

View Quote

What are you referring to here, and please be specific.

cc48510

You are correct in that if the rifle was in it's present configuration since it was made it would not qualify as an assault rifle and most assuredly would not be a grandfathered assault rifle under 18 USC section 922(v)aka the 94 ban.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 7:56:29 PM EDT
[#4]
The problem is that under the '89 Import ban there is nearly nothing that I can do to upgrade my SKS. If I could find evidence it was imported before 1989 then I would only have to comly with the '94 AW ban. The '89 ban is even more restrictive than the '4 ban. The problem is that in order to be exempt from this I'd have to use a number of US parts in it and these could get expensive or may not even exist.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 8:25:30 PM EDT
[#5]
So what are you wanting to do with it?
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 9:21:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh ever mind, I've said enough on this subject already. mmk
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 10:41:43 PM EDT
[#7]
What did I have in mind ?

I wanted to remove the Bayonet Lug then install a Dragunov Stock and Detachable 30 Round Zytel Magazine. Also, I was considering Night Sights.

I figure now, I'll just bring it below the 10 parts count so that it can be considered U.S. and not imported. I could cast the Trigger, Hammer, etc. myself.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 12:56:33 AM EDT
[#8]
That should work, cc.  Even if the rifle in question is post-89, adding sufficient US made parts will allow it to be configured with the detachable magazine and a pistol grip, as long as the bayonet is removed.

California law is different on this subject, though, and outright bans the SKS as an assault weapon, unless it was registered before the deadline for the original 1989 Roberti-Roos assault weapon ban, in California.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 10:26:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 1:34:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the clarification, Troy, only detachable mag SKS's are banned, then.  I feel for you guys in Cali.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 2:45:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Followup: I scouted around and found this site [url]http://www.sksparts.com/sksparts.html[/url].

They have 7 U.S.A. made SKS parts. They are:

1) Gas Piston & Gas Tube
2) Hand Gaurd
3-7) Complete Trigger Assmebly (Trigger Housing, Sear, Disconnector, Hammer, Trigger)

I will be ordering and bringing my SKS under 10 parts, so that I will no longer have to worry about the 89 Ban.

I currently have 15 Foreign Parts as long as I continue to use my U.S. made magazines. With a new Trigger Assembly I would have 10 foreign parts. But, I will also order a US Made Stock/Pistol Grip, Handgaurd and Gas Piston giving me 6 Foreign parts. This will allow me to use any foreign magazine and/or Muzzle Attachment.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 3:31:21 PM EDT
[#12]
BTW, my SKS says Norinco, China and Poly, USA on it. Norinco is who made it (China) and Poly would be who imported it, right ?
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top