Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2005 6:27:00 PM EDT
My mother is Director of Nursing of a Nursing home in New Orleans. The owner of the home would not allow them to evacuate the residents, and only 3 nurses showed up for work, and no CNAs. They have 4 people (including her) and over 100 residents to take care of during this storm. While my father, grandmother, and I were able to leave the city, she is caught, and would not leave her patients even if she could. Please, say a little prayer for her, or if prayer is not your thing, just a little thought...
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:28:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I will.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:29:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Jesus mercy yes.  I will pray and pray hard.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:30:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Prayers sent.

"The owner of the home would not allow them to evacuate the residents"

Where is the owner of the home?  Did they evacutate?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:31:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Your mom is a saint!  I will pray for her and your family.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:31:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Prayers out for your mom and all in the area.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:32:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Prayer sent. Take care.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:32:38 PM EDT
[#7]
You got it!  Done!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:33:21 PM EDT
[#8]
If the owner himself evacuated, I might arrange to have a talk with him after the events calm down.

TXL
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:33:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Prayers sent, bro.

Just how bad is it there????

We are expecting 70 MPH winds here in El PAso TX. It is ugly right now. It is VERY VERY ugly. But this site seems to be teaming with the hurrican news.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:35:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Prayers sent for everyone's safety

SRM
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:37:36 PM EDT
[#11]
The owner evacuated himself and his family, and left no contact info. He has basically disapeared off the face of the earth. By the time the evacuation became manditory, the bus companies had sent the drivers home, so she is caught at the home with no way to move the residents to higher ground. I think it is the no shit truth that if she makes it through this ok, she will have a LONG talk to the owner of the home...

As for how bad it is, it is not bad right now, some rain and wind, nothing too bad. They expect it to pick up alot over night, and in the morning there will be hurricane strength winds and rain to match...
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:43:41 PM EDT
[#12]
On the way for your Mom and those with her!

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:46:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The owner evacuated himself and his family, and left no contact info. He has basically disapeared off the face of the earth. By the time the evacuation became manditory, the bus companies had sent the drivers home, so she is caught at the home with no way to move the residents to higher ground. I think it is the no shit truth that if she makes it through this ok, she will have a LONG talk to the owner of the home...

As for how bad it is, it is not bad right now, some rain and wind, nothing too bad. They expect it to pick up alot over night, and in the morning there will be hurricane strength winds and rain to match...

If it were me, I'd have called a lawyer already.... before the lines go down...  Reckless endangerment?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:53:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:04:24 PM EDT
[#15]
That is awful.  If one resident or staff member is hurt, that owner will have hell to pay.  I'd want to see him drowned if it were my family member.  

Good luck to your mom!  She is one of the good ones!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I feel for your mom, Man, but my heart breaks to think of 100 old people who are cared for so little by their families that they would be left in that situation... Truly sad.

I assume that the proper authorities are aware of their presence? I hope your mom is not making that assumption and talks to someone. It would be easy for a smaller facility to get lost in the shuffle.

Wow...
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:19:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
If it were me, I'd have called a lawyer already.... before the lines go down...  Reckless endangerment?

No, the police.  I doubt what he is doing is legal under the circumstances.

What a jackass.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:19:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
My mother is Director of Nursing of a Nursing home in New Orleans. The owner of the home would not allow them to evacuate the residents, and only 3 nurses showed up for work, and no CNAs. They have 4 people (including her) and over 100 residents to take care of during this storm. While my father, grandmother, and I were able to leave the city, she is caught, and would not leave her patients even if she could. Please, say a little prayer for her, or if prayer is not your thing, just a little thought...

Nater, sounds to me like some real mismanagement is going on.  The owners have a duty to guarantee the safety of their patients, and it looks like they have ignored that duty.  I would definitely report them to the State Nursing Home Board.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:22:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Man that is sad, the owner is a no-good @$$hole. He just got up and left and now everybody for him/her-self. Just like in the movies. Also sounds like the home doesn't have any sort of an emergency plan.

For those that frequent ARFCOM's survival forum, this would be a good time to take out that emergency bag that you carry just for this type of emergencies.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:22:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I feel for your mom, Man, but my heart breaks to think of 100 old people who are cared for so little by their families that they would be left in that situation... Truly sad.

I assume that the proper authorities are aware of their presence? I hope your mom is not making that assumption and talks to someone. It would be easy for a smaller facility to get lost in the shuffle.

Wow...

Yes, the hospital they are located next to has been notified (and refuses to talk to anyone at the home or admit any of their more critical patients), as has the national guard who claims they are there to help keep the hospital locked down and claims they dont have the man power to help them. It is a one story building, so flooding is going to become a VERY serious issue...

We made fun of her on friday when she bought a life vest.. now we are not laughing at her...

*edit* She is a sort of "special ops" director of nursing, hired by homes all over the state to pull them out deep shit when the home sucks ass. They just hired her 2 weeks ago, and she asked about a hurricane plan, and they told her to fuck off (basically)...
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:22:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I hope that there is a discussion of a lawsuit if anyone is hurt or killed.

That is neglience of the highest order.

PS. I don't generally condone lawsuits, but I think that the owner has a bad case of asshatness going on, ond the owner should be held responsible if anything happens.

I hope that nothing does, and I hope that your mother stays safe....

ETA: your mother is a selfless saint.......while the owner is a selfish waste.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:26:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:30:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Done.

ARH

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#24]
May god bless your mother
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:32:46 PM EDT
[#25]
wow that is truly fucked up......he left and basically said, " you stay here, see ya'"..................what she should do,  is contact the local TV station after the hurricane passes, and tell that story on how (the owner) said you can't leave, and left her behind with 100 old people, while he took off.........the media are always looking for good shit like that, it has all the ingredients of a good story, hurricane aftermath, 100 old people abandoned by a greedy owner that runs out, and telling a  few people to stay behind........I wouldn't be surprised if the national media picks it up, and runs that story.

then I would hire a slime ball attorney with a good track record of collecting big on suing people. and bankrupted his ass.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:36:43 PM EDT
[#26]
May the good Lord protect her and those whom she treats.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:41:49 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

For those that frequent ARFCOM's survival forum, this would be a good time to take out that emergency bag that you carry just for this type of emergencies.

unless you can pull a few helicopters or a tour bus out of that bag, the only thing you can do in a situation where a cat 5 hurricane is barreling down on your ass, is to un-ass the area........aluminum foil, some MREs and twinkies, is not going to help you
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:42:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:52:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Name and location of nursing home please...
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:54:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope that there is a discussion of a lawsuit if anyone is hurt or killed.

That is neglience of the highest order.

PS. I don't generally condone lawsuits, but I think that the owner has a bad case of asshatness going on, ond the owner should be held responsible if anything happens.

I hope that nothing does, and I hope that your mother stays safe....

ETA: your mother is a selfless saint.......while the owner is a selfish waste.

+1
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:56:38 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Too bad I'm not the AG in that area.  That Asshole owner would be looking at at least 100 criminal counts for anything I could think of.  

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:58:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Name and location of nursing home please... and you'd better not be crying wolf in a situation where lives are in danger.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:04:07 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Name and location of nursing home please... and you'd better not be crying wolf in a situation where lives are in danger.

I am not crying wolf, you have IM.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:37:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Colonial Oaks Living Center
4312 Ithica Street
Metairie LA 70006
504-887-6414

it would be located right below East Jefferson Hospital.

Is this the Nursing Home With the 100 elderly people who have been abandoned?

No bull shit...Just yes or no.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Come on Nater answer the question...Is this the nursing home...yes or no...this is not the time to worry about legal bullshit if lives are on the line...YES or NO!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:58:57 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Come on Nater answer the question...Is this the nursing home...yes or no...this is not the time to worry about legal bullshit if lives are on the line...YES or NO!

And exactly what are you going to be able to do at 1 PM (Midnight in NO)?
Seems that it is a little late for anything but prayers at this time....
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:04:06 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

God Bless her.  Prayers sent!  Patty
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:07:19 PM EDT
[#38]
This is the IM Nater sent me...

I am not crying wolf at all, trust me. It is colonial
oaks in metaire la. I dont want the name plastered all
over the net just because of this. Who knows what the
potential legal ramifications of that would be.

So please dont accuse me of crying wolf, but please
dont share that name...

Ok....so let me get this strait. Naters mother and about a hundred elderly people are about to be drowned like rats, because they were abandoned by the nursing home owners and Nater's worried about the legal ramifications!!!

Something does not smell quite right here.

This nursing home looks to be part of a chain of nursing homes in N.O.....Did the owner abandon all of them?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:07:59 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Your mom is a saint!  I will pray for her and your family.

I can't think of anymore than this to say - other than to add we will also be praying for the residents there.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:17:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Someone called WWL radio New Orleans in the early afternoon with a similar story that their loved one (brother) was in a home that they weren't going to evacuate or anything.  Said had called 911 and other numbers which were busy. WL asked a few questions, but didn't really seemed to believe it and then went on to other calls. Too bad a name wasn't given for the home.

Prayers sent.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:24:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Nures are truly angels in white!!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:27:49 AM EDT
[#42]
And we are being told that a hospital is turning away patients in an emergency situation, there's some Federal laws regarding this.  Around here most of the critical care and acute care and long term care hopsitals have contingency plans coordinated by the County Emergency Medical Services Agency.  

The bus company has sent their drivers home?  Around here the County Bus District and Ambulance have pre-arranged contingency roles and moving out people in this kind of  situation is one of them.

Got this e-mail yesterday

Just a heads up.....with the possibility of Hurricane Katrina being a
catastrophic event for the Gulf Coast areas of Mississippi, Louisianna,
and Alabama  be aware that NDMS might get activated.  It's very likely at least one
or more  DMATs might respond but should there be "thousands of patients" from
the  hurricane and/or displaced from damaged hospitals, NDMS could move
patients out of  the area.  

Remember, Camp Pendleton is the Federal Coordinating Center for our
region  and our area is one of the top 3 locations in the country identified
for receipt  of patients from a major disaster.

NDMS = National Disaster Medical System
DMATS = Disaster Medical Assistance Teams

For the tinfoil hat boys, it means that the black helicopter boys from FEMA are planning to kidnap folks and force medical treatment on them.

I feel for the folks down there, 24 hours is not long enough to plan and put plans into effect.  The folks at the hosptial should have gotten a bus or two and loaded the ambulatory on it yesterday and started it rolling.  Take the non-ambulatory next door, and move them up to the 6th floor.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:27:04 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Someone called WWL radio New Orleans in the early afternoon with a similar story that their loved one (brother) was in a home that they weren't going to evacuate or anything.  Said had called 911 and other numbers which were busy. WL asked a few questions, but didn't really seemed to believe it and then went on to other calls. Too bad a name wasn't given for the home.

Prayers sent.

M4-AK

That would be the home. The are located right next to a hospital, and a few RNs showed up after there shift was over to help. They now have about 18 people there. Also, they are down to 83 residents as a few family members came and picked up their family members.

They had previously arranged (saturday morningish, if allowed to evac) with Hotard (a charter bus company) to evac their patients, but because hotard had not heard from the home, they assumed the home had come up with other plans. They sent their drivers who were not being used home to get the hell out..

FN-TPS: Never accuse me of crying wolf. You have just proven YOUR moral fabric, never challenge mine...
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:32:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Done.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:32:57 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
wow that is truly fucked up......he left and basically said, " you stay here, see ya'"..................what she should do,  is contact the local TV station after the hurricane passes, and tell that story on how (the owner) said you can't leave, and left her behind with 100 old people, while he took off.........the media are always looking for good shit like that, it has all the ingredients of a good story, hurricane aftermath, 100 old people abandoned by a greedy owner that runs out, and telling a  few people to stay behind........I wouldn't be surprised if the national media picks it up, and runs that story.

then I would hire a slime ball attorney with a good track record of collecting big on suing people. and bankrupted his ass.

Best advice in this whole damn thread.

And someone needs a good asskicking.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:23:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:11:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:41:03 AM EDT
[#48]

I hope your Mom is the new owner of this facility after the storm.

Prayers sent.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:54:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Prayers sent - may God keep them safe.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:11:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Any updates?  Prayers are still being sent.

SRM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top