Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2005 11:54:11 AM EDT
I wonder if I could practice at our IPSC Pistol-Club with my AUG. Since the "normal" ammo is likely to destroy poppers and backstops, I think about frangible ammo.

- Who has done it?
- What did you use?
- What ammo was satisfactory?

Thanks and stay safe.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:32:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Frangible .223 won't hurt true hardened steel  poppers.  Ask your rangemaster to demo the effect of the frangible on their targets.  Shouldn't leave more than a copper smudge on the steel.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:35:16 PM EDT
[#2]
A local indoor range here was trying .223 frangibles, but stopped early due to backstop damage.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Your .223 frangible should work fine on any IPSC range. It will be way easier on the steel than regular pistol ammo and also have zero back splash.

Hey camera_man, what the hell was the local range using for a backstop, aluminum foil? That's ridiculous! Maybe someone snuck in with regular ball ammo?

Our local ranges have a "you break it you bought it" philosophy, i.e. for calibers where only frangible is allowed if you eff-up and shoot ball or whatever and hurt the target/backstop you pay to replace it. I've only seen it happen once when we were working with rifles on "rifle steel" (3/8" AR500) and somebody's surplus ammo turned out to be steel core

aa
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:46:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hey camera_man, what the hell was the local range using for a backstop, aluminum foil? That's ridiculous! Maybe someone snuck in with regular ball ammo?

I don't know all the specifics of their backstop setup.  I know that they purchased the range after the previous owners went belly-up.  I also know that this happened while range staff were doing the testing, before they even allowed customers to bring centerfire rifles, so I know it wasn't an ammo screw-up.

The range is now out of business again... oh well...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top