Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2006 3:42:06 AM EDT
I'm hoping to be taking a step in a new direction in a few weeks and I'm going to try something I have always wanted, but never had the stars line up right. I'm buying a deisel truck.

Give me you reasonable opinions of these trucks and their motors. I really like the Cummins, but Dodges interior sucks nearly as bad as their transmissions. Don't start the whole "My brand is better than yours!" crap, just give me reasons, please.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:05:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a 2003 Duramax Diesel LS with an Allison automaic transmission. I have 40,000 on it with no problems. Has a nice tow feature on the shift selector for hills while towing a load. The transmission shifts into low range to help slow the vehicle. A guy I know has had his fuel injectors replaced at 35,000. You will alway hear horror stories about all brands, just research them to make sure there are no major recalls and order the one you want. http://www.edmunds.com/ can help you get the best price. The option packages are on edmunds.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:13:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:31:12 AM EDT
[#3]
We regularly have injector problems with our Isusu fleet.  Duramax is Isusu for those that don't know.  This isn't a cheap thing when you are replacing a damaged engine block caused by bad injector.  IIRC, 10-15K is what we usually get jacked up for.

Cummins is a solid motor, get a manual tranny.  I have no data on the 2006 trans, but it is a different one again, New Horizon, or New Venture, or something like that.

I just spent a large amount of hours in a Dodge crew-cab over the holidays.  Compared to my Chevy, it was like riding in first class.  The cup holder could have been designed better, but nothing else is commentable on the interior.

Ford has the most outdated front suspension in the industry and rides like a buckboard, unless they have made recent changes.  I haven't looked at them in a while.

Cummins=600+foot lbs of torque.  If you are towing, that is priceless.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:34:35 AM EDT
[#4]
A friend and I each bought GMC diesels with Allison transmissions last year. I have only 5K on mine, she has 30-somthing thousand. We both love them so far.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:47:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Have owned 4 Cummins in the past, 93-2002, All manuals, Loved them all.  Drive a Duramax for work, love it also.  But don't take the Chevy off road, no ground clearance.  You will get stuck.

Hello Rodent,  Imagine horse guys driving diesels.....
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:23:39 AM EDT
[#6]
GM.

-My dad got 180K out of a '95 6.5L diesel.(Precursor to the duramax.)  The heads did blow then but it wasn't his fault...they were prone to cracking.  The heads on 6.5L diesels are hard to find but I think, knowing Chevy, they refined stuff for when the Duramax came out.  

-The Duramax is supposed to be a very good diesel engine.

-My dad currently doesn't have a diesel but he has an Allison trans(which is the standard auto for the Duramaxes IIRC with his 8.1 GMC company truck and it's a very solid transmission.  

Edit-Cummins is supposed to be also good(my uncle got a new dodge Cummins this past year) except it's super loud and Dodge can't make a transmission worth a shit to handle all the torque of the Cummins.  So personally the Cummins is out.

As far as the Ford Powerstroke, the new ones are a problem child.  Also the Ford is prone to the crankshafts "walking" on them.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:36:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Get the Cummins with manual tranny. I work with several Ford guys who would love to have the Cummns in their trucks. The GM product lacks ground clearance and my dad's GMC has been to the shop several times for computer and tranny problems (Allison).  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:24:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Ford redesigned frnt suspension.New ones turn much tighter.I have an '05 PS F250 ,4X4crewcab,8' bed,and it turns much better than my old '79 250 Xcab.
Cummins best motor,but if Dodge,I'd go manual.My brother has a 05 Dodge,HO w 6spd and 4.10s and it's a BEAST.No problem with my 6.0 but the earlier models (03 and 04) had TONS of issues.
Chevy/GMC no ground clearance,but any of the diesels will sink offroad.Motors too damn heavy.I'm always locking the hubs.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:02:46 PM EDT
[#9]
One more Cummins vote here with a manual tranny.  Powerstrokes have lots of upgrades, but Cummins do too and will almost always have parts available.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:38:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm hoping to be taking a step in a new direction in a few weeks and I'm going to try something I have always wanted, but never had the stars line up right. I'm buying a deisel truck.

Give me you reasonable opinions of these trucks and their motors. I really like the Cummins, but Dodges interior sucks nearly as bad as their transmissions. Don't start the whole "My brand is better than yours!" crap, just give me reasons, please.

Well, based on my experience with the new Dodge trucks, the motor is pretty much bulletproof, the transmission though is another story, the truck developed an auto trans problem within the first 4 months of owning it, the dealer ended up replacing the trans. after the 3rd attempt to fix it, truck was used to tow a decent size trailer on weekends.

I have since sold the truck  and bought a Chevy truck with a Duramax.

I venture to say, Ford, Chevy and Dodge makes decent trucks, you just got to choose which truck best meet your needs.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:40:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Caterpillar
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:00:30 PM EDT
[#12]
CUMMINS DIESEL best in the market.

Dodge may finaly have its tranny problems solved for now with the 48RE. I have a cummins in my 04.5 and love it. I also have the NV5600 6spd. the new 6.0 in my bosses superduty is only gettin 14mpg and really dont feel that powerfull. My buddy is on his second set of heads in his D-max
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:25:49 AM EDT
[#13]
6.0 Fords are all over the place,mileage wise.I've heard claims of 10-12,and over 20.Alot depends on driving style,city/hwy,etc,BUT I'm averaging about 15 in a '05 F250 4X4 cre cab,8' bed,auto,3.73s.My work truck is EXACTLY the same,but is a F350,and has an additional 800-1000#s on it,and I average around 17,and have gotten over 18 on long highway trips.My best in my truck is mid 16s on SAME trip.Must say my brother's HO Cummins is a BLAST to drive,but has 4.10s and a manual.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:53:39 AM EDT
[#14]
The new diesels from ford and chevy are great.  The fly in the ointment is service.  Find out if there are (is?) local knowledgeable diesel mechanics experienced in the make and model you are interested in.

These engines are very expensive to service, should heavy maintenance be required.  For example, retail to replace one fuel injector on a '01 powerstroke is over $400.

A friend ended up getting one of these very cheap from a service company.  It wouldn't run, and the Ford dealer quoted $12,000 to replace the engine.  Main problem was no one local knew how to work on them.  The engine had several problems, but total repairs ended being $3500 instead of the $12,000 quoted by ford.

I have driven this '01 F250, and absolutely love the power and handling.  I really like hearing the turbo whine when I really gas it.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:15:18 AM EDT
[#15]
I work on Powerstrokes everyday, and I gotta tell you, they are very expensive when they break.
why international made some of the shit they did on these things is beyond my comprehension.

Gary
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:02:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a 05 F250 PSD Supercab Short Bed and really love it!!!  I traded my Cummapart due to the appetite for transmissions it had

Seriously though, I love the Ford, leaps and bounds better than the Dodge was.  Everything from the tranny to the interior is better IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:08:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I would go Cummins or Powerstroke if you are going to do ALOT of towing.  If it is just going to be dailyed with occassional heavy use, go with whatever you like most.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:31:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I would go Cummins or Powerstroke if you are going to do ALOT of towing.  If it is just going to be dailyed with occassional heavy use, go with whatever you like most.  

It's pretty much down to Cummins or Powerstroke, but I'm very seriously thinking that I may avoid the transmission problem altogether and opt for the three-footed version.  Clutches are much cheaper than transmissions.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:05:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

It's pretty much down to Cummins or Powerstroke, but I'm very seriously thinking that I may avoid the transmission problem altogether and opt for the three-footed version.  Clutches are much cheaper than transmissions.

What's your objection against the Duramax?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't have the money. It looks like I'm going used, and the budget requires nothing newer than, say, '02. I don't want the 6.5 deisel. Hate those things.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:01:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't have the money. It looks like I'm going used, and the budget requires nothing newer than, say, '02. I don't want the 6.5 deisel. Hate those things.

IIRC the Duramax came out in '01.  You can have it with IIRC a six-speed stick shift.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:10:47 PM EDT
[#22]
The main problem with the Duramax is the injectors, GM warrenties them for 200k miles. Last few injectors I've put in are on engines with over 100k miles...and GM picked up the bill.

I like older Powerstrokes (7.3L), but the 6.0 are more problematic than the Duramaxs. The Cummins are good engines, buy Dodge trans and rear ends are pretty much junk.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:53:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Love my 03 Ram dually!! Got the Cummins with the 6 speed. Gets around 16-20 mpg around town. On the x-ways, pulling my 26' enclosed witha 3500 lb+ car in it, it gets 12.5-13.5 mpg at 70-80 mph. The GM rear makes a very little bit of noise at hiway speeds.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:45:16 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Given those circumstances, I'd go with either a 12 valve Cummins( I think pre 1998) or the 7.3.  The cummins is a sleeved motor...probably can go 1,000,000 miles
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:41:01 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Given those circumstances, I'd go with either a 12 valve Cummins( I think pre 1998) or the 7.3.  The cummins is a sleeved motor...probably can go 1,000,000 miles

Seems that 97-98.5 12 valves are like the chupacabra. People say they exist, but the reports are unconfirmed.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:55:59 PM EDT
[#26]
If you buy a powerjoke or crummins your asking for problems. Okay, It's just my opinion after seeing so many people have serious problems with the 6.0 joke and the tranny hooked to it. If you don't tow or do any heavy duty work you will probably be okay with the ford or dodge. If you are going to pull heavy load the ford tranny is a problem issue.... the only people that will not agree with this are people that have been either really lucky or have'nt towed like we do.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:57:38 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
If you buy a powerjoke or crummins your asking for problems.

Couldn't have said it better myself.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:30:16 PM EDT
[#28]
A couple guys at my work have powerstrokes, they love 'em.
One of our sublet guys had it in his Excursion, put a chip in it & got 22mpg  city.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:31:48 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't buy the 22 city, but they will produce some seriously great mpg figures. With a aftermarket exhaust, Intake, Chip. Count on 21 hwy(empty) and 17 mpg (all city) with a very light foot. I have over 500,000 miles on several late model diesel pick-ups and the guy's that claim those big numbers normally are so happy they got rid of there gas burners and getting such better mileage, that it feels like 22 mpg/city. The diesels are the only way to go if you can afford the initial purchase price difference.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:40:15 AM EDT
[#30]
I own a Ford 00 F350 PS dually 4x4 and ill tell you after having my Chevy 545 dually its leaps and bounds in milage over 20 MPG hWY (empty) as well as comfort and towing capacity. I didnt go with the Auto tranny though, i have the six speed manual. If you do go diesle id stay away from the auto trannys if you are going to tow much. Extra heat running through your radiator cooling the tranny. I went with the six speed because what do the big rigs run? manual....but its a bitch in stop in go traffic hey
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:43:28 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I work on Powerstrokes everyday, and I gotta tell you, they are very expensive when they break.
why international made some of the shit they did on these things is beyond my comprehension.

Gary

[cough]EPA regulations[cough]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:43:06 AM EDT
[#32]
I was getting 20+ highway with my stock 2001 PSD.  Now I have bigger mud terrain tires on it & havn't had the inclination to do the speedo-math.  I figure its about the same (tires are only a bit over 1" bigger).

I have 63k on it thus far.  Bought her used in 2002.  Had the glow plug relay replaced.  No other problems.

ETA: The newer Ford Superduties (2004 and up, I believe) have independent front suspension.  Fuck that.  Give me heavy duty leaf springs any day over that.  For a pure off-roader, sure.  But for a work truck....

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:03:02 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
ETA: The newer Ford Superduties (2004 and up, I believe) have independent front suspension.  Fuck that.  Give me heavy duty leaf springs any day over that.  For a pure off-roader, sure.  But for a work truck....

Not true.  They got rid of the leaf springs, but still have a solid front axle.  Better turning radious, and better ride were the result compared to your setup.  The Cheby has the crappy independant front susp.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:36:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Ordering a F-350 SRW Crew Cab with the 6.0 PSD sometime this week.  I should have it sometime in March or so.  Manual transmission and don't even talk to me about "4x4 shift on the fly"!

Merlin
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:31:44 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not true.  They got rid of the leaf springs, but still have a solid front axle.  Better turning radious, and better ride were the result compared to your setup.  

I forgot about that.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:22:42 PM EDT
[#36]
I've got a 05 Dodge 6spd. Couldn't be happier. Traded from a 2001 with a sour injector pump at 60K and 125K miles. So far so good with the 05 at 15K. Even getting 20 mpg if I keep my foot out of it. Once I seen 22 mpg without any mods. It's very tempting to watch the black smoke roll. hing
http://www.turbodieselregister.com
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com
http://www.dieselplace.com
http://forums.thedieselstop.com
http://www.rv.net/
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:13:40 AM EDT
[#37]
If you are looking to buy used, the 94-98 Dodge will be the most reliable engine. If you want an auto, there are several very good aftermarket transmission manufacturers that will build a trans to hold 500HP and last 200K miles. The 98.5-02 trucks have lift pump and injection pump problems, but there are some ways to help these parts live longer. So far the 03+ trucks are decent, with some vibration problems reported, as well as similar injection problems as the Gm trucks are having, just not as frequent. (not sure why).

I would not buy a Ford newer then an early 03 7.3L truck. The 6.0 is by far the worst diesel engine on the market right now. 99-03 7.3 trucks have the 4R100 trans, which is reliable in a stock truck, and with an aftermarket tourqe convertor and valve bodie can hold 400-450HP.

The DMax and Allison is a nice setup, with some injector problems, but on a stock truck, they have a 200K mile warrenty. GM has high resale value though, so finding one in your price range may be tough.

Drive everything you can, decied for yourself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top