Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 2/1/2017 10:33:09 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/1/2017 11:27:03 PM EST by WildBoar]
Anyone here do it or have one. I always wanted one and think I might treat myself for my next birthday. There are two schools in my state and the equipment is affordable for me.

Are there any arfcomers involved in it? Was thinking about getting one each for me and my GF but might just get tandem.

Link Posted: 2/2/2017 1:26:40 AM EST
After my daughter was born, I've kicked around selling my motorcycles and getting into it. No schools here, but a few guys into it locally. Tagging for more info.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 1:47:45 AM EST
I've taken a couple of classes of just paragliding with the ultimate goal to go powered. It's a lot of fun. Cheapest airplane you can buy. Pretty dangerous though.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 1:50:06 AM EST
Looks fun. I'd probably kill myself.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 3:05:02 AM EST
My old man has been hang-gliding for 3 decades, and has always talked about getting a powered harness, but we've never done the powered-para thing. He always joked that it is what he'll do when he retires.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:40:31 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/2/2017 11:42:48 AM EST by WildBoar]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Belfry_Express:
I've taken a couple of classes of just paragliding with the ultimate goal to go powered. It's a lot of fun. Cheapest airplane you can buy. Pretty dangerous though.
View Quote

I used to skydive and did some paragliding in Swizerland, and ONE base jump (fucking never gain) and have a little time under a canopy. The paragliders in Switzerland were huge but very forgiving. I am not sure how these will handle. I always fear canopy collapse but I NEVER take my hands off the brakes like many do to take pics and shit. I want to feel everything the canopy/wing is telling me. Thought I felt one coming on when a riser went slack but instinctively I reacted and stopped it. Not sure how far it would have went. I cringe when I watch videos of these guys completely hands free dicking around with phones and cameras.

I wil be beach launching most of the time and will only be going early AM or evening. No way in hell I would try it mid day in Southern Florida with the unpredictable winds and thermals.

The idea of being able to power up and tkae as many attempts at landing as I want is appealing. Regular paragliding you only get one shot at landing. With this? If I donk my approach or anything I can power up and try again.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:54:07 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/2/2017 10:54:46 AM EST by VBC]
I started seeing a couple of them flying overhead at one of the places I fish. Rather annoying buzzing sound and they move so slowly it takes forever for them to pass by. I've seen them ride into some beautiful sunsets though. So high up they look like ants.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:10:25 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/2/2017 11:11:16 AM EST by xerxes2695]
I was a pretty avid hang glider pilot for years and a few of the guys I flew with also flew PG's. I would not hesitate to fly a PPG. Paragliders do better in mild conditions but also can't handle stronger conditions. Hang gliders are harder to soar in milder conditions but can fly faster and penetrate in stronger conditions (mid-day thermals are not an issue and tend to be desirable). There's also ultralight trikes, if they're in your budget.

The main thing is knowing your abilities and knowing the conditions. It can be whatever you want it to be. The huge benefit of powered flight is that you don't have to fly in strong conditions if power-off soaring is not something you want to do. If you're not chasing lift all the time, you can just go and fly whenever you want in mild and forgiving air.

Overall safety stats are on par with scuba diving. Like a motorcycle, it's up to you to stay safe and you can be as safe or risky as you want.

I'd ask around http://hanggliding.org , it's the go-to resource.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:13:57 AM EST
My dad and I fly one of these. It's fun but can be sketchy.

Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:24:03 AM EST
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:34:11 AM EST
Originally Posted By WildBoar:
Anyone here do it or have one. I always wanted one and think I might treat myself for my next birthday. There are two schools in my state and the equipment is affordable for me.

Are there any arfcomers involved in it? Was thinking about getting one each for me and my GF but might just get tandem.
]
View Quote

i fly ultralights a lot. I have a hanger and my own strip by my house in a field. If you go "legal ultralight" (far 103) you do not have to have a license or anything else. If you buy a tandem, you will spend many dollars getting a sport pilot license.
Basic rules of ultralight(far 103) If your flying machine meets these reqs,,,you can go fly with zero govt interference or license.
1. plane must weigh under 254 pounds
2. no more then 5 gals of fuel
3. single seat,NO passengers, (risk only your own life)
4. under 55mph top speed approx, which PPG would never exceed unless you are falling,,,,
5. stall speed is regulated but i don't remember the number, PPG qualifies
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:35:29 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/2/2017 11:35:53 AM EST by xerxes2695]
nvm
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:42:06 AM EST
Originally Posted By BoxofRox:

http://alabamalens.com/airadventure/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/ppc1s.jpg
View Quote

Nice. How are the controls? I am more used to being in a harness but trike looks interesting.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:43:13 AM EST
I want to try the unpowered ones in the worst way, but the wife insists it is entirely too dangerous and I have to stick to regular flying.

How dangerous could it be, you are strapped to a parachute.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 12:26:25 PM EST

Nice. How are the controls? I am more used to being in a harness but trike looks interesting.
View Quote

Insanely easy, my dad and I bought It, watched a YouTube video, and took off.

You control direction with your feet, left foot turns left and so on. Right hand has a throttle lever that controls elevation. Speed is set by chute size, total weight, and conditions. There is a bit of a procedure to laying out the chute to ensure a proper takeoff but nothing complicated. You should check out some videos, I like riding rear seat and shooting coyotes.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 12:31:26 PM EST
A guy here does it 2-3 days a week in the summer, the thing is fucking loud.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 12:56:28 PM EST
I'll be the first to admit it was Travis Haley's videos on paramotoring that instantly captured my attention and interest in learning to fly them. It just so happened there were plenty of good instructors and a sizable community of pilots in the Florida panhandle where I was stationed at the time. Emerald Coast beaches made for spectacular training and landing zones in addition to hosting the largest international fly-in at Panama City.

Currently I'm soaring on a 23m Dudek Universal wing and Nirvana Instinct NS230. If I were to start over again, I'd be taking a hard look at the Air Conception Nitro 200 for less than half the cost. No matter what equipment you decide on, ensure you've budgeted for and seek out professional instruction. Powered paragliding is as safe or as dangerous as you choose to make it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 1:50:57 PM EST
Originally Posted By Kalmar:....., ensure you've budgeted for and seek out professional instruction. ......
View Quote

Absolutely agree. Pricing schools right now.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 1:54:32 PM EST
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:
A guy here does it 2-3 days a week in the summer, the thing is fucking loud.
View Quote

LOL Some seem to be. I am definitely getting a quieter one.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:35:43 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/13/2017 12:37:18 PM EST by WildBoar]

View Quote

AWESOME, but I think it might be too scary sitting in something. I am used to being in a harness. Anyway, do you need a Sport Pilot license for that since its a two seater? Is that hard to obtain?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:47:29 PM EST
Originally Posted By Kalmar:
I'll be the first to admit it was Travis Haley's videos on paramotoring that instantly captured my attention and interest in learning to fly them. It just so happened there were plenty of good instructors and a sizable community of pilots in the Florida panhandle where I was stationed at the time. Emerald Coast beaches made for spectacular training and landing zones in addition to hosting the largest international fly-in at Panama City.

Currently I'm soaring on a 23m Dudek Universal wing and Nirvana Instinct NS230. If I were to start over again, I'd be taking a hard look at the Air Conception Nitro 200 for less than half the cost. No matter what equipment you decide on, ensure you've budgeted for and seek out professional instruction. Powered paragliding is as safe or as dangerous as you choose to make it.
View Quote

I have been looking at wings and the Dudek Universal comes up alot. Some say ifs fine for a beginner as well as XC. Is it ok for a beginner?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:49:21 PM EST

AWESOME, but I think it might be too scary sitting in something. I am used to being in a harness. Anyway, do you need a Sport Pilot license for that since its a two seater? Is that hard to obtain?
View Quote

I wouldn't know

It's "expiramental"
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:07:08 PM EST

I wouldn't know

It's "expiramental"
View Quote

LOL right on.

Might be the only way I get my girl to fly though. Foot launching doesnt appeal to her
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:08:53 PM EST

I wouldn't know

It's "expiramental"
View Quote

In other words you have no training, no license and no N number for your 2-seat aircraft?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:14:09 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/13/2017 1:17:09 PM EST by hihobrian]
I've been debating starting a thread here on this. I'm going for training in FL this summer at Aviator PPG and purchasing a Nitro 200 and an Ozone wing.

Eta: I'm concidering buying the wing now and start kiting on my own so I have an idea of what I'm doing when I start training.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:31:50 PM EST
Start with this.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:34:51 PM EST

I watch these vids, Tucker Gott and others on YouTube.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:36:42 PM EST
Originally Posted By hero2three:
Start with this.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183649/20170213-123041-145930.JPG
View Quote

Pfft. I am going to learn with Super Dell or maybe Kurt from flight Junkies. They are the best, they even say so.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:41:32 PM EST
A friend of a friend bought one so he could search a desert for a prewar Willys.  I don't know the status on that.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:50:21 PM EST
I looked into it several years ago and talked to several people about it. The biggest issue they had was the wind. They said very little wind will keep you on the ground, and as a result, you spend a lot of time sitting around waiting to fly.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:55:33 PM EST
What are some good Youtube channels for this? I've always enjoyed watching Haley's videos when he puts them up.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 2:08:04 PM EST
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:
What are some good Youtube channels for this? I've always enjoyed watching Haley's videos when he puts them up.
View Quote

Aviator Show, Scout Paramotors, Tucker Gott, Flight Junkies. Once you are in on these, the related and recommended vids will show you others.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 2:17:15 PM EST

You control direction with your feet, left foot turns left and so on. Right hand has a throttle lever that controls elevation. Speed is set by chute size, total weight, and conditions. There is a bit of a procedure to laying out the chute to ensure a proper takeoff but nothing complicated. You should check out some videos, I like riding rear seat and shooting coyotes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I did it for the first time before youtube, just reading the interwebs. It was fun, still have it, will probably never fly again though. Being that you already have a chute over your head, you'd have to do something fairly stupid to mess it up. ie, full peddle control to see how tight of a spin you can make for a while, partial collapse of wing that went right back to normal after I let off. Yet, my risk/reward is calibrated a bit differently now days.

Link Posted: 2/13/2017 2:24:21 PM EST
Originally Posted By hihobrian:

Aviator Show, Scout Paramotors, Tucker Gott, Flight Junkies. Once you are in on these, the related and recommended vids will show you others.
View Quote

whats the deal with Flight Junkies? The dude seems to HATE every instructor out there and hypes himself up a bit.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 2:26:36 PM EST
Looks like a narsisctic freak who probably has some good knowledge and best intentions. So I just take it for what it is.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 2:28:53 PM EST
Originally Posted By VACaver:
I looked into it several years ago and talked to several people about it. The biggest issue they had was the wind. They said very little wind will keep you on the ground, and as a result, you spend a lot of time sitting around waiting to fly.
View Quote

A steady wind isn't a problem, a variable wind will test your pucker factor.

It is really surprising how quickly you can get off the ground, and then how quickly the things on the ground can get small. With the low speed, it is really cool seeing game. Had a hawk fly along side once. My brother in the back seat tried to play bombardier with his shoes, not so easy. Found a easter egg with a dollar in it while looking for them later.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 2:31:33 PM EST
take a class or tandem flight and check it out, it would be a fun hobby and even more if you have good sites nearby.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 2:40:14 PM EST
Originally Posted By twckxbzd:
take a class or tandem flight and check it out, it would be a fun hobby and even more if you have good sites nearby.
View Quote

I think I am going straight for training and buying gear. I used to skydive and am used to being under a canopy, the only think I didn't like was that I couldn't stay in the air longer and fly it at my will. This looks like the answer to what I was seeking on all my jumps.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 3:25:37 PM EST
i fly them
monstor with a edel medium wing and a home built trike( need to go the next size up)
i also fly a home built green eagle that i made from scratch

also do monstor with a just a harness

made the mistake of flight junkies as they are near me (don't go with him and don't go with super dell these two are the worst in the sport to learn from.)

have had other training and flew with lots of lflyins to learn the finnes better.

the one thing that i let people know is if somthing goes wrong you cant just pull over to the nearest cloud and get off you have to be flying the whole time and you need to know what and why you are doing what you are doing. if you dont you will auger in and it wont be pretty or fun any more.

the training is really woth it and there are some good ttrainers out there.

for the gear dont buy untill you have flown. you will waste money and not have fun. learn first to see what type of flying and where you fly will determin the gear you will need and want. untill you get up and see the type of flying you want to do ( i thought i was going to be all agessive and fly like an f 16 fighter jock, i was wrong i actully liked just crusing and exploring and bombing kids with candy. becuse i bought before i flew i have the right motor for me but wasted 4800.00 on the wrong wing and reserv. the right wing that i need is actully cheaper and better suited for what i enjoy.

feel free to ask any other questions ill anserw to the best ability i can or point you in the right direction
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 3:44:08 PM EST
Awesome. Thanks for the info. I am sure I will flood you with questions soon lol.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:36:24 AM EST
I got a reply from Aviator PPG. Their classes are booked out till fall.

It's hard to find trainers for this. Or at least a training facility that is big enough to that will provide equipment to get started.

I'm still thinking of buying a wing now to play around with it and keep looking for a training area somewhat locally, or at least a very reputable one that I can fly to and spend a week or two there.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:54:08 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/19/2017 11:06:29 PM EST by WildBoar]
Originally Posted By hihobrian:
I got a reply from Aviator PPG. Their classes are booked out till fall.

It's hard to find trainers for this. Or at least a training facility that is big enough to that will provide equipment to get started.

I'm still thinking of buying a wing now to play around with it and keep looking for a training area somewhat locally, or at least a very reputable one that I can fly to and spend a week or two there.
View Quote

I saw that as well.

I am looking into Planet PPG on Pine Island and Florida Powered Paragliding in Homestead.
http://planetppg.com/
http://floridapoweredparagliding.com/paramotor-training/
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:35:19 PM EST
I just committed to training with Flyhighparamotors
He is in Pensicola FL and has been recommended by Eric at Aviator PPG. My S.O. is not really impressed with my choice to do this but I think it is amazing. So off I go! She thinks the training is expensive..
Wait till I come home with a titanium frame e start Nitro! Haha.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:39:42 PM EST

View Quote

Looks like the very DEFINITION of the word " Sketchy "
 How could that NOT have a one in 500 chance of killing you every time you take  it out ?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:42:37 PM EST
Broke 5 bones in my back speedflying... playing with paragliders can get very real, very quickly if you underestimate the power that you are dealing with.

I have 30m Swing Arcus 6 for sale super cheap. its perfect to hang a motor from... so if you really want to get into it send me a message.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:16:14 PM EST
Originally Posted By Fullpower:
Looks like the very DEFINITION of the word " Sketchy "
 How could that NOT have a one in 500 chance of killing you every time you take  it out ?
View Quote

Well it's only sketchy if you don't like sudden changes in speed, elevation, and direction randomly while flying a go kart. Other than that it's fine.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:53:23 PM EST
Did it for 10 years or so. Waiting for knee replacement to fully heal before I fly again. Trained with one of the best at the time, Bruce Brown from Toledo, OH. Coolest sport on earth. Nothing beats taking off from your backyard and cruising 7ft off the ground or at 7000ft. Get professional training, and not flight junkie nor Dell schanze. Let your instructor recommend equipment based on your weight and intended flying style. There are the ford truck safe wings and the porsche fast unforgiving wings and everything in between. Motors are also based on weight. Jeff Goins books are a great start as well as those on kiting by dixon white. The motor is the easy part. The real deal is learning how to kite the wing in your sleep-without even looking at it. Its like skiing or riding a bike. Once you learn, your set. Add motor and go(with instruction!) Usppa.org has great resources. Fly Safe!
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:21:51 PM EST
I would love to coyote or hog hunt out of one of those.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:47:53 AM EST
Originally Posted By Thallo:
I would love to coyote or hog hunt out of one of those.
View Quote

I've heard it's a lot of fun
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:25:17 AM EST

Well it's only sketchy if you don't like sudden changes in speed, elevation, and direction randomly while flying a go kart. Other than that it's fine.
View Quote

Thats why I cant do a cart. I would feel better strapped into a harness.

How do you fix deflations, cravats, twists and stuff if your controls are on your feet?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:30:38 AM EST
Originally Posted By xerxes2695:

In other words you have no training, no license and no N number for your 2-seat aircraft?
View Quote

Looks like it has a number.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Top Top