Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2006 6:31:56 AM EDT
It has rained almost every damn weekend and on my days off for the last month!

Enough alreadY

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apr 3, 2006 6:47 am US/Pacific

Powerful Pacific Storm Will Bring Heavy Rain
Save It  E-mail It  Print It
Starting Monday, a storm out of the Gulf of Alaska is expected to bring Southern California three days of intermittent rainfall. The National Weather Service has warned residents to take precautions against flash flooding.

Some rain may fall Monday morning in some parts of the Southland -- including Catalina island and the San Fernando and San Gabriel Valleys -- before light rain begins over a wide area of the region in the afternoon, turning heavy at night.

A Flash Flood Warning has been issued for Los Angeles County valleys and mountains, effective from 7 a.m. Monday through Wednesday morning.

This late-season storm is expected to produce 1-3 inches of rain in coastal areas and 3-5 inches in the foothills and mountains, with some areas getting as much as 7 inches, according to the National Weather Service.

This storm may produce thunderstorms, small hail, waterspouts and funnel clouds, especially tonight or tomorrow, according to NWS forecasters.

"This storm will tap into a plume of sub-tropical moisture, sending several bands of steady rain with higher rainfall rates through southwestern California ... through Wednesday. "However, the most potent of these bands appears to be Monday night and Tuesday, when potentially excessive rainfall rates will occur from southern Santa Barbara County through Los Angeles County," according to a statement issued by the National Weather Service.

"Rain will turn to showers Tuesday evening and last through Wednesday
morning before diminishing."

Snow levels in the mountains will be at 7,000 feet tonight, where 11-14 inches of snow are expected, falling to about 5,000 feet in the early hours of Wednesday, according to NWS forecasters. Winds of between 20 and 30 miles per hour are expected in mountain areas until the storm moves east.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:40:45 AM EDT
[#1]
In the flat lands of the San Gabriel Valley(10 miles east of Los Angeles), the San Gabriel mountains are just 5 miles north of me. It is partially cloudy and dry.  The winds are calm.  The temp is 56ºF.  But according to the weather people, it is supposed to be one-heck of a storm.  Actually the storm was should have hit us already, but I guess it is just a bit late.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:43:00 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
In the flat lands of the San Gabriel Valley(10 miles east of Los Angeles), the San Gabriel mountains are just 5 miles north of me. It is partially cloudy and dry.  The winds are calm.  The temp is 56ºF.  But according to the weather people, it is supposed to be one-heck of a storm.  Actually the storm was should have hit us already, but I guess it is just a bit late.

Im contemplating riding my motorcycle to work since gasoline is 3.00 a gl. I might be able to dodge the rain when I get off at 6
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:46:03 AM EDT
[#3]
FXUS66 KLOX 031118 AFDLOX  SOUTHWEST CALIFORNIA AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LOS ANGELES/OXNARD CA 332 AM PDT MON APR 3 2006  .SHORT TERM... SYSTEM NOT COMING TOGETHER AS EXPECTED. TWO PROBLEMS HAVE OCCURRED.  ONE...THE UPPER HIGH HAS DROPPED STRAIGHT SOUTH AND HAS BOTH TILTED  AND IMPEDED THE FIRST BAND OF RAIN. THIS BAND IS OVER SLO COUNTY  AND REALLY IS NOT MOVING. TWO...THE PRECIPITABLE WATER PLUME IS SLOW  TO ARRIVE. CURRENTLY IS IS NEAR 32N/120W. IT IS MAKE PROGRESS TO THE  NORTHEAST AND SHOULD ARRIVE OVER SOCAL THIS AFTERNOON.  WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS A LARGE IMPULSE MOVING AROUND THE BACKSIDE  OF THE UPPER LOW AND WHEN THIS ENERGY ROUNDS THE BASE OF THE LOW IT  WILL GIVE FORWARD MOMENTUM THE BAND AND PUSH IT EASTWARD. THIS BAND  WILL INTERACT WITH THE PW PLUME AND CREATE A STEADY RAIN EVERYWHERE  THIS AFTERNOON. THE PLUME WILL MOVE ALMOST DUE NORTH INTO THE SOUTH  FACING SLOPES AND THIS SHOULD NICELY ENHANCE THE RAINFALL.  BETTER DYNAMICS ARRIVE TONIGHT WITH BOTH GOOD 500MB PVA AND 250 MB  JET DYNAMICS. THIS ALONG WITH THE HIGH PW VALUES WILL CREATE A GOOD  ENVIRONMENT FOR HEAVY RAIN ALONG WITH A SLIGHT CHANCE OF  THUNDERSTORMS.  THE BEST DYNAMICS HIT THE AREA TUESDAY MORNING AND THIS SHOULD  PRODUCE THE BEST RAINFALL OF THE PERIOD. THE PWS DIMINISH ALSO AT  THIS TIME SO THINGS SHOULD BE A LITTLE LESS DRAMATIC ALONG THE  CENTRAL COAST. RAIN WILL LESSEN IN INTENSITY DURING THE AFTERNOON  TUESDAY BUT IT WILL CONTINUE TO POUND THE SOUTH SLOPES. OVERNIGHT  TUESDAY THE RAIN WILL TURN TO SHOWERS AS THE UPPER LOW MOVES INLAND.  THE COLD AIR ALOFT ASSOCIATED WITH THE UPPER LOW COULD TRIGGER A FEW  THUNDERSTORMS ESPECIALLY NORTH OF POINT CONCEPTION.  DRYER NW FLOW MOVES IN WEDNESDAY AND SHOWERS AND CLOUDS SHOULD  DECREASE AS THE DAY GOES ON.  DESPITE THE DRY START TO THE DAY THE TOTAL RAINFALL AMOUNTS STILL  SEEM GOOD WITH 1-3 INCHES COASTS AND VLYS AND 3 TO 6 LOCAL 7 IN THE  MOUNTAINS.  IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT THE NAM IS VERY DRY WHICH AT FIRST BLUSH  MIGHT SEEM TO BE THE BEST OPTION. BUT 06Z GFS HAS CAUGHT ONTO THE  PIVOTING AND THE SLOWING OF THE INITIAL BAND AS WELL AS THE DELAY OF  THE HIGH PWS. SO ALTHOUGH KEEPING A WARY EYE ON THE NAM FEEL THE GFS  IS THE MDL OF THE CHOICE FOR THE SYSTEM.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:47:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Tactical_Jew: Personally, I would dry the car, because riding a motorcycle in the rain is definitely no fun, unless you absolutely have to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top