Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/12/2010 4:16:19 PM EDT
Power went out and found someone stealing my electricity?

So anyway....

I am renting a decent pad near where my wife's school is located while she finishes up a RN degree

My wife called me up and said the breaker kept kicking off. She happened to be using coin operated laundry washer and drier and they quit working along with my bedroom and living room power. Problem is, the coin operated machines are not mine and run 24/7. The building had 4 separate units in which share use of the coin operated machines.

The lease and landlord never informed my wife or I that we were to pay for electricity for the coin operated machines.

Link Posted: 6/12/2010 4:22:07 PM EDT
[#1]
So, you have to pay for the electricity AND to use the machines?  I wouldn't stand for that.

B_S
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 4:22:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So, you have to pay for the electricity AND to use the machines?  I wouldn't stand for that.

B_S

Yep...........

Someone is making money off my electricity
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 4:24:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

B_S

Yep...........

Someone is making money off my electricity

surprise u just got buttseckzed
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 4:26:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Wire cutters for the win!
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 4:28:07 PM EDT
[#5]
That is HIGHLY illegal in every state that I know of.  

Contact the power company and tell them about this.  Do it quickly.   They will investigate and probably will slap your

landlord with a very impressive fine.

Separate dwellings, customers, or businesses,  or any combination thereof, must have their own dedicated utilities (Electric, at least,

in Florida for example) with a dedicated power meter for each one.

It works out that (Again, in Florida) if you have multiple businesses in the same building, each business has to have its own power

meter and its electrical system can't be shared to another business.    Certainly sharing of power between a laundromat and a

place of residence wouldn't be allowed.

This is PROBABLY the case in your state, too.

Link Posted: 6/12/2010 4:30:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Drop a steamer in both the washer and the dryer.
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 4:30:22 PM EDT
[#7]
when the power is on, manually turn off the breaker and test a wash machine.

it could be some outside issue is causing multiple issues.  

now IF manually flipping YOUR breaker shuts off the wash machines, then you need to call your landlord and talk about the concept of fraud and theft.  Call the utilities company and report the the issue as well.
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 4:32:38 PM EDT
[#8]
contact utilities before you talk to the landlord  and they have someone rewire before the utility company gets out there...
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 4:35:46 PM EDT
[#9]
wouldn't you notice a real insane electricity bill ?
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 4:38:19 PM EDT
[#10]
paying to use the machines has nothing to do with running the power from your service.  Get it stopped.  Put up OOO signs yourself if you have to, then call the LL.  IF you don't get satisfaction, contact whatever jurisdiction handles renter's rights, and your lawyer.  Start by bringing your complaint to the LL's attention, and see what comes of it.  If you can handle it calmly after finding out about this, you might be able to stay out of court.

Didn't you wonder why your rent was so cheap?  Might wanna check for cameras in the bedroom too.
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 4:54:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

now IF manually flipping YOUR breaker shuts off the wash machines, then you need to call your landlord and talk about the concept of fraud and theft.  Call the utilities company and report the the issue as well.

I tested the outlet by plugging a light where the washer was plugged in and then manually flipping the main breaker on my utility box(the one corresponding with my power bill).......The light verified my belief
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
contact utilities before you talk to the landlord  and they have someone rewire before the utility company gets out there...

This ^ ^ ^
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 5:01:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Call the utility company asap.  Or disassemble the outlet that the washer/dryer is plugged into and detach the wires from it...
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 5:03:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tested the outlet by plugging a light where the washer was plugged in and then manually flipping the main breaker on my utility box(the one corresponding with my power bill).......The light verified my belief

The coin-op washer/dryer "should" be on their own 2-pole breaker if it's on your panel.   Just flip the breaker until you need to use the machine while this is getting sorted.  

The breaker really shouldn't be feeding anything else.   (unless it's some sort of newfangled high efficiency model that runs on 110V) your lights and other snazzy modern accruements should all be on single pole breakers.

Link Posted: 6/12/2010 5:03:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Contact the power company and tell them about this.  Do it quickly.   They will investigate and probably will slap your

Separate dwellings, customers, or businesses,  or any combination thereof, must have their own dedicated utilities (Electric, at least,

It works out that (Again, in Florida) if you have multiple businesses in the same building, each business has to have its own power
meter and its electrical system can't be shared to another business.    Certainly sharing of power between a laundromat and a

I am pretty sure that would be considered a fire hazard, too.

Get the city inspector involved.

Link Posted: 6/12/2010 5:06:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Ever stop to think that maybe the original electrician who wired the place tapped into the wrong circuit by mistake?

Could be an honest error.  Why not approach the LL about it before kicking up a stink?  You still need to live there afterall.

Link Posted: 6/12/2010 5:10:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Ever stop to think that maybe the original electrician who wired the place tapped into the wrong circuit by mistake?

Could be an honest error.  Why not approach the LL about it before kicking up a stink?  You still need to live there afterall.

I contacted the LL today...nobody else has been contacted...........         yet

I will talk to a lawyer Monday to see what they have to say in how this could affect my lease agreement
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 5:10:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 5:30:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
wouldn't you notice a real insane electricity bill ?

Unless you ask the neighbors what a typical electric bill is (before you move in) nobody would typically be the wiser.

Most folks I know don't compare bills with each other.
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 5:33:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Your landlord is fucking you.
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 5:34:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Tag for landlord getting beat down.
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 5:40:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Free electric for the rest of your lease, or a rebate of your power bills so far (whichever is more) seems like a fair resolution to have it go no further.

Of course, the appliances need to be disconnected until the unsafe wiring is fixed.
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 5:43:34 PM EDT
[#23]

The coin-op washer/dryer "should" be on their own 2-pole breaker if it's on your panel.   Just flip the breaker until you need to use the machine while this is getting sorted.  

The breaker really shouldn't be feeding anything else.   (unless it's some sort of newfangled high efficiency model that runs on 110V) your lights and other snazzy modern accruements should all be on single pole breakers.

Brilliant!
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 5:43:47 PM EDT
[#24]
That sucks. Sounds like you've been getting the shaft.
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 5:47:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Blackmail is the answer, free month rent/discounted rent/etc in exchange for not reporting them to the authorities with the associated fines.
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 5:52:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Blackmail is the answer, free month rent/discounted rent/etc in exchange for not reporting them to the authorities with the associated fines.

Make him an offer he can't refuse..
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 5:55:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Your wife was out of the kitchen?
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 5:59:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Call the utility company asap.  Or disassemble the outlet that the washer/dryer is plugged into and detach the wires from it...

The utility wont do anything since the theft is on YOUR side of the meter.  However, they will charge you a call out service charge since there was no problem.  Take it up with the landlord.

Link Posted: 6/12/2010 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Your wife was out of the kitchen?

It's OK, she was washing.  Wimminz are supposed to do that.

(NO dibs for my stuff!!!)
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 6:55:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 7:07:01 PM EDT
[#31]
The building should have its own dedicated meter for exterior lights, pool equipment and laundry that gets billed to the LL. Just leave the breaker off until you need to do laundry.

Unless your LL is an asshole, its probably just a mistake in the wiring.
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 7:09:38 PM EDT
[#32]
I'd keep it off until he came and fixed it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 7:13:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This. Power company can estimate how much power was used and for how long. They do it when folks are caught stealing from the meter.
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 7:15:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 7:15:42 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I'd keep it off until he came and fixed it.

this will get things moving quicker as others in the building start feeling the pain.

oh, and tag for updates
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 8:15:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I doubt the power company would be able to asses a fine, they would just pull the meter. but the city building code enforcement would damn sure be able to fine them, they would probably make the power company pull the meter and red tag it until it was wired correctly. I'd be willing to bet that, that is against the NEC. How many of the machines are on your breaker?

ETA.

back40 has a point too.

"Ever stop to think that maybe the original electrician who wired the place tapped into the wrong circuit by mistake?

Could be an honest error."

I've worked in the apartment industry for 20 plus years, i've seen A/C condensors crossed, didn't know it till someones electric would be disconnected and then the other resident would call that their A/C was not working, this property was 4 years old when I went to work there and it took that long to know. I had 2 apartments on another property with the same company that had  the meters crossed for 2 years, we found out when one resident complained about high electric bills.

The electricans are suppsed to double check all of this, but sometimes things fall thru the cracks, most likely by someone not watching what they are doing. It's hard to discover these sort of things during punch out too. It could be an honest mistake. At the very least they should reimburse a percentage of your electric bills.
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 8:41:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Had a customer, apartments, who discovered all their outside lights were powered off one of the units. Guy in it stopped working nights and had more time to wonder what the light switch on the wall in his garage was for.
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 9:19:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Tag for ownage!
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 9:26:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Thanks Sparky, I just almost broke my monitor slapping your avatar.

Link Posted: 6/22/2010 6:58:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Landlord gave me two options after me informing her of the problem:

Sign a lease addendum saying I know about it being hooked up on my power and continue as is

Or

She will have the washer and dryer removed by the company who owns them.

I said have them removed......That was over a week ago

Another tenant(guy and wife) want us all to share the costs of having an electrician switch it to their box cause they cannot go without a washer and dryer in the building..........I said "not my problem"
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 7:02:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Sign a lease addendum saying I know about it being hooked up on my power and continue as is

Or

Another tenant(guy and wife) want us all to share the costs of having an electrician switch it to their box cause they cannot go without a washer and dryer in the building..........I said "not my problem"

and what did they say about the fact that they stole your power for x number of months?
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 7:05:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or

and what did they say about the fact that they stole your power for x number of months?

Apparently, that didn't equate since they are still asking for money from me
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 7:42:10 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or

Link Posted: 6/22/2010 7:57:32 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or

Once the washer and dryer are off your power..talk to the electric company..they might be able to help you out with how much extra that washer and dryer were costing YOU for the x amount of months you've lived there..and talk with your landlord..sounds like she's basically trying to write you off like you won't take legal action. talk to the electrical company..they will help you.

I would definitely turn that circuit off when i'm not using it. If other people start complaining..tell them to talk to the landlord..you pay the bill for that circuit you can do whatever the f you want with it.

Link Posted: 6/22/2010 7:58:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Have them removed,go buy coin operated machines,sign papers with landlord saying you can do it and bank off your neighbors.You can do your laundry for free and all the other bitches can pay.Or put a washer and drier in and charge all tenants rent of 30 a month or so and make money off them that way,cheaper then the coin machines.

Tell landlord that instead of pursuing the issue with back money owed you want permission to do this.

Your welcome.
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 7:59:26 PM EDT
[#46]
wtf?

i'd ask for a copy of that addendum and tell her you are going to sign it, but later. take copy to a lawyer.

Link Posted: 6/22/2010 8:21:29 PM EDT
[#47]
i'd say you are the new owner of some appliances.
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 8:24:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Yeah they are giving you the blow off betting you dont have the stones to do shit about it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 8:29:24 PM EDT
[#49]
landlord has a grow-op
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 8:36:48 PM EDT
[#50]
I think you should pussy out and pay the landlord and the neighbors $5,000 each for their obvious pain and suffering on this issue.

You can be like that dumbass who let his garbage can get stolen, or the guy who wouldn't knock on a door to move a trailer away from his mailbox, or any of the other trillion pussies on this site who think ownership of a rifle is somehow a substitute for being a goddamned man.

I hate these stupid fucking threads...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top