Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/21/2005 5:56:49 PM EDT
Few weeks ago the transformer outside my apartment overloaded/blew up/shorted out. I saw the flashes through closed blinds in daylight. They got it fixed within an hour or so, pretty good. At 7:30 tonight, nice sunny evening I heard zap and no power. They get here about 45 minutes later and start working on it. Got power back about 10 minutes ago.
Now, why am I pissed at them? Because this transformer/power line connection is in a huge mass of vines and tree branches. Totally over grown. I'd have thought they'd have been smart and cut stuff back after the last time. But no. They better do some damn pruning this time. Considering I've seen them buncher good trees that barely made contact with a wire, and this is a freaking jungle of wild grape and other vines pluse loads of tree branches literally pulling the wires towards the ground
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:06:20 PM EDT
It is probably a safety issue. 4K to 20K volts, probably one man, working alone. The troubleman probably refused the transformer each time. I'll bet he turned the vines in to the line clearing crews. Trust me, he doesn't want to be there anymore than you want to be out of power.

We have a young brother in a burn unit right now because he came into contact with a 7200volt line. He has lost his left arm and forearm. They will amputate the right hand and forearm tomorrow. Working it hot so some puke doesn't have to miss his TV show.

Then you have the owner of the vines that probably doesn't want them cut. The vines hide the power pole from their eyes!

Just go out and cut the vines at ground level. They will die and fall off. Make sure they aren't in contact with the primary. WOULDN"T WANT TO SEE YOU LOOSE YOUR LIFE!

Sorry if it sounds like a rant. It isn't meant to be. Just wanted to shed some light on the process of a big utility.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:08:11 PM EDT
Y2K

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:22:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/21/2005 6:24:33 PM EDT by NCFFEMTERT]
A few years ago, we returned from a two week vacation to find no power in the house. Apparently during the construction of my shop ( 3 years prior), the powerline was cut, I was never notified. Power company came and fixed it for the contractor, however the fix failed a day or so after we left for the trip. A freezer full of meat, fish etc thawed out during the two weeks. Just imagine the overwhelming odor we were welcomed home by........

Came home at 1am, by 3am i had power restored.......by noon the next day the fix was made perminant.

* I found out about the contractor cutting the line from the Power Co. the same guy came out and said he'd been here before! *
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:31:04 PM EDT
Depending upon where you live it might be illegal for the power company to cut back the trees. That is the case in some places in Maryland.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:33:01 PM EDT
I don't blame the linemen for not doing the cutting the first time, but it's been plenty long enough for a specialized cutting crew to have come out.
looks like tonight they got their shit together though. I hear some, actually sounds more like an electrc screwdriver than a saw, and an orange truck with what looks like wood chippings in the back.
I'm rarely critical of the power repair guys, like I said in the first post. they had the power back on fairly quickly both times. But there was plenty of time between incidents that the company should have been able to correct the problem before the 2nd problem happened
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:47:43 PM EDT
Tonight my neighbors and a couple friends and I cooked dinner in the firepit in my neighbors yard. Breaded fish and potatoes with mushrooms. We fried up some eggplant too. Before that we were out flying a kite we got up in my neighbors yard by pulling it on a fourwheeler. We had a fishing pole and about 1300 feet of kevlar line. We put it out all the way. I guess the point of the story is, I haven't used electricity all day until now. When the power goes out on my ridge it's really not that big of a deal usually. Is it a big deal where you live?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:20:25 PM EDT
After the last few years of wonderful ice storms, Duke Power has finally contracted out companies to trim back trees. They are definately getting their money worth, anything within 10-15 feet of the lines are gone. A little preventative maintenance for this coming winter I guess.

Good to hear your situation was handled accordingly..even it it took a second trip out.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:29:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 2IDdoc:
Is it a big deal where you live?

it is when it's dark and htere's nothing to do outside

I wouldn't have noticed, other than to have to reset the clocks, if it had happened between 1 and 4 when I was out riding my bike
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:51:35 PM EDT
We had a similar problem last summer. The whole street was without power one afternoon. A neighbor had called, but we called again a couple of hours later to make sure they knew about it right at 5. At supper time we decided to eat out since we had no power and we were burning up. On the way to the restautrant, we saw two or three of the cherry pickers parked at a convenience store with the workers chatting and hanging out with each other a few miles down the main road from our house. We found out later that they found a fuse blown and they finally got it to work right. They figured everyone was taken care of because no one was complaining about outages.

When we got home at 8, there was still no power, so I called the office. I got the after hours emergency service numbers off their machine. None of the guys from my county were answering their phones, but one of their girlfriends gave me the number for someone from the next county covering for him. He came and took a look and replaced the fuse, but after the second one blew as soon as he flipped it over, he saw where a branch was resting on the line and shorting it out. He couldn't get to it because of the branches so he had to call in a cherry picker crew from their homes. They came about 11 pm and cut the branches around the line and fixed it at midnight.

I appreciate that those guys are on call 24-7. It would be nice if they answered their phones 24-7, though..There are some people who need electricity for not just their big-ass TV's but they need power for their home offices. No power, no paycheck. Some need power for medical equipment. That was an interesting time when my roommate had to hook his asthma machine to my UPS so he wouldn't take a trip to the ER he couldn't afford. Then there was the first few months of my son's life where he had to have a heart monitor. Luckily, that was the only time we never had a power outage when we were home..

During a bad ice storm back in '94 we had no power for 2 weeks. A buddy of mine had a tree branch rip their meter out of the wall, he had no power for three weeks. The good thing was that we had our water back at the end of the first week. Country living...The TEPA got into the habit of trimming back trees after that. The next year they helped out the counties down south that helped them that winter because they didn't adapt that habit..

My house was on schedule to be trimmed back about a month after our incident.
Top Top