Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2006 1:20:10 PM EDT
Harbor Freight has a decent price on a small oven for powder coating. Anybody done much of that?

Chinook3
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:28:44 PM EDT
[#1]
all I know is that the metal has to be absolutely clean otherwise it looks like shit
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:02:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd love to be able to powder coat stuff.  Does it look like a decent set-up??
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:07:50 PM EDT
[#3]
you might want to search / ask on the caswell powder coating forum:

http://forum.caswellplating.com/

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:10:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Someone here did their own powder coating with a old regular oven, I remember the person though.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:11:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Will do.  You ain't a real man til you've powder coated something!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:15:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I can attest to this much:  Powder coating has been in vogue in the U. S. Navy for years and it works very well for a number of shipboard applications.  Now...just consider the environment that equipment has to operate in...
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:19:56 PM EDT
[#7]
With powder coating your prone to chipping due to the brittle surface.  You end up with thin and thick areas as well, it's hard to get a uniform coat.

I just read a very good article on powder coating and all the cons associated with it.  I'll try to find it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:41:24 PM EDT
[#8]
My father worked as a mechanical supervisorat an oil tank factory for several years. I ended up powder-coating my winchester shotgun (put it throught the the preparation line witht the tanks.) It looks real goos, textured, matt black and it don't chip at all. We also did the K-member and a lot of the running gear for his charger and my barracuda. I've seen it done in a household oven (with excellent results) but don't bake cookies in it after unless you like that chemical taste

P.S., since the gun was a beater that I found in the woods in the first place, I haven't oiled it or treated any of the coated surfaces in 8 years, and it has not rusted (I don't think it can)
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:45:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:54:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes that reminds me of what I had intended to say, dis-assemble the gun and mask off any parts you do not want coated. NEVER put springs in an oven, it may not damage them but it aint worth the risk, take the extra time and completely dis-assemble the component parts.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:55:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Bastiat, I made a big mistake clicking on that link.  That place has everything I need, well not need, but want.  I can't wait to start sand blasting stuff!!  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Bastiat, I made a big mistake clicking on that link.  That place has everything I need, well not need, but want.  I can't wait to start sand blasting stuff!!  

Check out the 'make your own oven' forum...it's like WECSOG for powder coating!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:13:34 PM EDT
[#13]
You can make your own oven?   That's great.  Now my wife won't shoot me when I use her new Wolf.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:31:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:45:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Since there's no shortage of companies that will powder-coat whatever you bring in, is there any real advantage to doing it yourself?

How many jobs would you have to do yourself in order to break even on the cost of the materials, applicator gun, curing oven, do-overs, etc.?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:56:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Skibane, that's not really important.  Kind of like asking if you really need a dozen  black rifles.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:37:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
You can make your own oven?   That's great.  Now my wife won't shoot me when I use her new Wolf.

BUILD A POWDERCOAT OVEN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top