Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2006 10:15:55 AM EDT
All of us make typos, and some never figured out "this" word or "that". Some of them bother me, but BFD. What bothers me personally on this site is seldom consequential to ARFCOM as a whole.

"This" however, really bothers me,  (think about it for a min. before the laying out the knee-jerk defense.

WHEN somebody over here posts/writes something that is addressed to/directed at our ideological adversaries in the (Brady Campaign, DU, etc.) (s)he NEEDS to CHECK FUCKING SPELLING! The content, grammatical construction, and spelling all reflect upon the poster. Those who aren't going to take the time to meet the poster (which is damn near everybody on the internet) are going to judge the poster upon the writing. Some of you don't care what friend or foe alike thinks of your writing. If that reflects badly upon YOU then so be it. When people write sloppily on behalf or with respect to "our side" they are not only making an ass of themselves... they are representing us poorly. If they represent us poorly then I believe "we" do have a right to criticize, hence my thread here. Granted, people "over there" are going to think whatever whether written in monosyllabic grunts or flowery prose. There are however some people who are or might be moderates (now or later) and when they read such things they are going to associate our ideology with the stereotypical portrayal of unintelligent and reckless hicks.

I will shut up about trolling posts against them (unless they're witty, in which case I condone them). I won't even bother to caution the "passionate" ones about thinking first, typing second. All I ask is that we use a fucking spell checker and re-read before posting.

I just read the some angry snipe directed against the Brady Bunch (on one of their surveys) for infringing upon our right to "bare arms".  .
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 10:21:49 AM EDT
[#1]
your right people should spell good and use good gramer to.  there bad spelling makes them look dumb even if they realy arent.  its really anoying.  sometimes I almost loose my mind when I read some peoples post's.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 10:26:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I have bare arms right now and since it is cold, that is "annoying"
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 10:29:35 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Congrats on being the first of many "graffiti artists" on the thread. Have fun... get it out of your system. I'll gladly take the "bumps" for others to see the message. Just don't fucking do it where it counts.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 10:31:23 AM EDT
[#4]
It's a legitimate point.  If I'm trying to have a factual discussion or argument with someone, and they don't know how to spell, or use incorrect grammar - it becomes much easier to assume that they are just kinda stupid, which then undermines their entire argument.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 10:37:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Congrats on being the first of many "graffiti artists" on the thread. Have fun... get it out of your system. I'll gladly take the "bumps" for others to see the message. Just don't fucking do it where it counts.

Your post confuses me . . . did you think I was serious?

I am the quintessential spelling/grammar nazi.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 10:44:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
(s)he

Didn't you get the memo?  The smug ones will misunderstimate us
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 10:48:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your post confuses me . . . did you think I was serious?

I am the quintessential spelling/grammar nazi.

I could tell that by your misspelling of everything. The dim smartass would deliberately misspell the no-brainers, and correctly spell the others by accident.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 10:53:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
your right people should spell good and use good gramer to.  there bad spelling makes them look dumb even if they realy arent.  its really anoying.  sometimes I almost loose my mind when I read some peoples post's.

You're correct, people should use proper grammar. Their incorrect spelling makes
them appear to be stupid, which they're not.
It's most certainly annoying, and difficult to grasp. At times, it's hard to comprehend
and decipher their post's.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:31:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
All of us make typos, and some never figured out "this" word or "that". Some of them bother me, but BFD. What bothers me personally on this site is seldom consequential to ARFCOM as a whole.

"This" however, really bothers me,  (think about it for a min. before the laying out the knee-jerk defense.

WHEN somebody over here posts/writes something that is addressed to/directed at our ideological adversaries in the (Brady Campaign, DU, etc.) (s)he NEEDS to CHECK FUCKING SPELLING! The content, grammatical construction, and spelling all reflect upon the poster. Those who aren't going to take the time to meet the poster (which is damn near everybody on the internet) are going to judge the poster upon the writing. Some of you don't care what friend or foe alike thinks of your writing. If that reflects badly upon YOU then so be it. When people write sloppily on behalf or with respect to "our side" they are not only making an ass of themselves... they are representing us poorly. If they represent us poorly then I believe "we" do have a right to criticize, hence my thread here. Granted, people "over there" are going to think whatever whether written in monosyllabic grunts or flowery prose. There are however some people who are or might be moderates (now or later) and when they read such things they are going to associate our ideology with the stereotypical portrayal of unintelligent and reckless hicks.

I will shut up about trolling posts against them (unless they're witty, in which case I condone them). I won't even bother to caution the "passionate" ones about thinking first, typing second. All I ask is that we use a fucking spell checker and re-read before posting.

I just read the some angry snipe directed against the Brady Bunch (on one of their surveys) for infringing upon our right to "bare arms".  .

Good points.  I find it really annoying when we are treated to the text messaging mode.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:35:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're correct, people should use proper grammar. Their incorrect spelling makes
them appear to be stupid, which they're not.
It's most certainly annoying, and difficult to grasp. At times, it's hard to comprehend
and decipher their post's.

Ooh, grammar mistake!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:39:01 AM EDT
[#11]
It's a mute point...
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:46:27 AM EDT
[#12]
i fully agree.  my favorite is when someone writes a letter to an elected official and lays it on thick

"you're an asshole, you're a moron, ect ect"

there are ways to say it without being deragatory.  do you really think they will listen to you if you come off like a ranting lunatic? if i were them, i'd be crumbling the letter up (or hitting delete) by line 2.  so much for your message "really letting them know what i think"

tact is key.  if you come off as an uneducated brute, you will not be taken seriously.  when you write you have the time to really think out what you want to say, and how to best say it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:50:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Good rant pulpsmack.

We also need literate types who don't just say "F you, ur never gonna git my guns" to represent our side as well.

That's probably a different thread though
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:54:50 AM EDT
[#14]
I agree... poor spelling and grammar, especially in the context mentioned in the first post, can make us all look like highschool dropout dumbasses.  

If you graduated highschool, you really have no excuse for poor spelling or grammar.  They teach you that stuff in school, you know?  

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:00:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't loose your cool over this. This is just they're way of getting two you. If you let them no its getting to you their going to keep doing it. I four won just look write past the spelling nazi's comments anymore.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:23:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Don't loose your cool over this. This is just they're way of getting two you. If you let them no its getting to you their going to keep doing it. I four won just look write past the spelling nazi's comments anymore.

Gud 4 u.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:50:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I agree with you and also would like people to use paragraphs too.

Also ARFCOM should fix the spell checking function!!
It is listed as one of the perks of a membership for *****'s sake
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:56:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I like paragraphs. Paragraphs make me happy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top