Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2002 8:06:06 AM EDT
Postal Service Won't Be Part of Spy Program

.c The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (July 18) - A government program promoted as a tip service for authorities concerned with terrorism won't be getting help from the Postal Service.

The Justice Department program, called Operation TIPS (Terrorism Information and Prevention System), already is under fire from the American Civil Liberties Union, which claimed it would result in Americans spying on one another.

But the Justice Department said the project simply would be a way for workers whose jobs bring them in contact with neighborhoods, highways and businesses - such as letter carries - to report suspicious activities.

After meeting with Bush administration homeland security officials, the Postal Service said it wasn't interested, at least for now.

``The Postal Service had been approached by homeland security regarding Operation TIPS; however, it was decided that the Postal Service and its letter carriers would not be participating in the program at this time,'' the agency said in a statement Wednesday.

``It is important to note, however, that the Postal Service has established processes for our postal employees nationwide to report suspicious activity to the Postal Inspection Service and to local authorities,'' the agency added.

Attorney General John Ashcroft's spokeswoman, Barbara Comstock, said the agency had no intention for people - such as utility workers - to enter or have access to the homes of individuals. The idea is to organize information from people whose jobs take them through neighborhoods, along the coasts and highways and on public transit, she said.

Said Homeland Security chief Tom Ridge: ``The last thing we want is Americans spying on Americans. That's just not what the president is all about, and not what the TIPS program is all about.''

The ACLU said the concept was worrisome, nonetheless.

``The administration apparently wants to implement a program that will turn local cable or gas or electrical technicians into government-sanctioned Peeping Toms,'' said Rachel King, an ACLU legislative counsel.

The ACLU said it was concerned that these volunteers would, in effect, be searching people's homes without warrants, that resources would be wasted on a flood of useless tips and that the program would encourage vigilantism and racial profiling.

It would provide a central reporting point for reports of unusual but non-emergency situations. Among those involved in the voluntary program could be truckers, mail carriers, train conductors, ship captains, utility employees and others.

Ridge told radio reporters that people in certain occupations are ideal observers. ``They might pick up a break in the certain rhythm or pattern of a community. They may pick up in the course of their daily business something that's very unusual.''

He noted that the program is voluntary.

``There's a big difference being vigilant and being a vigilante. We just want people to use their common sense,'' Ridge said. ``It is not a government intrusion. The president just wants people to be alert and aware. ... We're not asking for people to spy on people.''

Operation TIPS is a part of the Citizen Corps, an initiative Bush announced in his State of the Union address.

Link Posted: 7/21/2002 8:10:04 AM EDT
[#1]
When the statement was made that life would never be the same here again as it was prior to 9-11 was a major understatement.....

I'm not looking forward to any of these changes yet I'm not sure I disagree with all of them either....

What do you all think?
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 8:13:26 AM EDT
[#2]
The postal service is already billions in the red.  They cannot afford to take on any more unpaid work.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 8:18:57 AM EDT
[#3]
The Postal Service can't afford any more bad publicity.  I'm sure that they don't want their letter carriers to get the reputation of being spies, among the other things that they're already famous for.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 8:30:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Wouldn't that be great. Everyone who gets the Federal Arms catalog would be reported because they get mailings with pictures of "guns like the ones the terrorists use".
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 8:31:38 AM EDT
[#5]
When the total SHTF, the civilian spies will be the first to go.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 8:47:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I can't say I'm thrilled with the post office right now, As I sent 2 money orders to buy a book, an it now looks as if both have been "lost" in the mail,(My take on it is this, jive-ass P.O. worker opens my mail, decides to try to cash M.O's at friendly check cashing place, can't get it done, and simply chucks'em) I've called the MO company and they say the MO's haven't been cashed, one has been the mail for 6 wks!!!!the other, for about 3 wks!! With piss poor service like this, it's no surprize that they're in the red all the time, I guess if I want to get this M.O. delivered I'll have to sent it by registered mail, at least then, the jive-asses will have no choice but to deliver it.....Bastards!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 8:52:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Can you imagine how much money the postal service would lose if people stopped receiving catalogs and other mailings that might be reported to the TIPS agency.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 9:02:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I hope they stick to the decision of not doing it. I can just imagine what they would be thinking of me... I get about 6 different gun related magazines including "American Rifleman" As well as the Shotgun News and various catalogs from Cheaperthandirt and Tapco Etc...

I know what will be going on next is they will open all our packages and inspect them before bringing them to our door.(I'm sure there is already a lot of that happening anyway) If you were to buy 10 AR mags they would think you were preparing for war or something....[whacko]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 9:05:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
When the total SHTF, the civilian spies will be the first to go.
View Quote

... Yup. Snitches get stitches.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 9:10:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Said Homeland Security chief Tom Ridge: ``The last thing we want is Americans spying on Americans. That's just not what the president is all about, and not what the TIPS program is all about.''
View Quote

WTF is tips about then ? What happened to our boy Ridge ? He sounds like a fucking democrap now.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 9:19:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

WTF is tips about then ? What happened to our boy Ridge ? He sounds like a fucking democrap now.
View Quote

I must admit, I am more than a little bit disappointed in Tom Ridge.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 9:21:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Just hope UPS doesn't have the brown shirts turn into tattletails.  You guys who get the heavy SA ammo (2700 rnd.?) tubs know what I mean.[:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top